G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (video game)
|G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra|
|Developer(s)||Double Helix Games (PS2/PS3/PSP/X360/Wii)
Backbone Entertainment (DS)
|Platform(s)||PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Wii, Xbox 360, Mobile phone Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable|
|Release||August 4, 2009|
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is the title of a video game adaption of the film of the same name. The game takes place after the film. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions are similar, while the DS version and the Wii, PlayStation 2, and PSP version different versions, respectively.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2012)
After the events of operation hiss, Duke and Scarlett travel to the Arctic and free Heavy Duty, Ripcord and Snake Eyes from the M.A.R.S Detention Center. Also, they fight the Baroness and bring her to the Pit. In Egypt, the Joes learn that Cobra is taking the Apep's Eye (Gem), and must defeat Firefly. In the jungle, the Joes discover that Cobra is making a pyramid-like (zigurat) building in the middle of the jungle. From there, the Joes must defeat James McCullen (who now takes the identity of Destro) at the rooftop of the pyramid building. Finally, they must defeat the Cobra Commander and Storm Shadow at North Magnetic Pole Volcano base.
Among the classes included for the various characters in The Rise of Cobra include Commando, who do well at close range, Heavy Weapons, who possess extraordinary shooting skills but do it best from a distance, and Soldier, who are a balance between the two. The classic "Yo Joe!" battle cry is in the game, being used as an invulnerability power-up when the G.I. Joe character gains access to the Accelerator Armor, allowing them to be undamaged while attacking Cobra troops and vehicles.
The Nintendo DS version is a top-down arcade style shooter that re-uses assests from the finished but unreleased Gauntlet DS.
The game received mixed to negative scores from a lot of websites. It achieved a Metacritic average of 42% on the Xbox 360, and 43% on the PS3.
GamesMaster magazine in the UK was slightly more upbeat about the Xbox 360 incarnation, calling it "an enjoyable if throwaway action game that weighs in at a not so throwaway price."
IT Reviews complained that the game consisted of "repetitive bouts of blasting the same enemies, through the same terrain," and added "much of the time it feels as though you're only half playing the game."
G4TV's X-Play gave the game a 1/5, saying, "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is the new gold standard for lazy and uninspired cash-in licensed games. It could perhaps be argued that the developers didn’t have much to work with given the source material, but that doesn’t help the unfortunate consumer who ends up stuck with this Junkyard Dog of a game in his collection." 
Gaming Nexus commented that "There's no reason to buy G.I. Joe as long as there is at least one other game on the store shelf." 
- Tracey John (2009-03-12). "First 'G.I. Joe' Screens are half the battle". Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- Jay Cochran (2009-03-12). "A Look At The Upcoming G.I. Joe: Rise Of Cobra Video Game". Retrieved 2009-03-14.
- Lewis, Cameron (April 2009). "Yo Joe!". GamePro. 247 (April 2009). Bob Huseby. p. 47.
- "G.I. Joe Guide & Walkthrough - PlayStation 3 (PS3) - IGN". Guides.ign.com. 2009-08-04. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Play magazine review, issue 183, Imagine Publishing
- "IGN Xbox 360 Review". Xbox360.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "IGN DS Review". Ds.ign.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "IT Reviews". IT Reviews. Archived from the original on 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Keil, Matt (2009-08-06). "G4TV Review". G4tv.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "G.I. Joe - Review - by Cyril Lachel". Gaming Nexus. Retrieved 2012-09-17.