G. D. Bakshi
G. D. Bakshi,
|Birth name||Gagandeep Bakshi|
|Born||1950 (age 69–70)|
Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India
|Years of service||1971 - 2008.4|
|Battles/wars||Indo-Pakistani War of 1971 and Kargil War|
|Awards||See § Awards and decorations|
|Relations||SP Bakshi (father)|
Major General Gagan Deep Bakshi or G. D. Bakshi (born 1950) is a retired Indian army officer. He is from the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles. He was awarded the Vishisht Seva Medal for commanding a battalion in the Kargil War. Later, he was awarded the Sena Medal for distinguished service in commanding a battalion during counter-insurgency drives.
He subsequently commanded the Romeo Force (Part of elite Rashtriya Rifles) during intensive counter-insurgency operations in the Rajouri-Poonch districts of Jammu and Kashmir and succeeded in suppressing the armed militancy in this area. He has served two tenures at the Directorate General of Military Operations and was the first BGS (IW) at HQ Northern Command (India), where he dealt with Information Warfare and Psychological Operations. He is often called on news channels across India to provide views on topics related to the military and defence.
Early life and education
Awards and decorations
- Bakshi, G. D. (2015). China's Military Power: A Net Assessment. Centre for Land Warfare Studies. ISBN 9789383649396. OCLC 903345328.
- Bakshi, G. D. (2013). Kishtwar Cauldron: The Struggle against the ISI's Ethnic Cleansing. Pentagon Press. ISBN 9788182747364. OCLC 864543669.
- Bakshi, G. D. (2010). Limited Wars in South Asia: Need for an Indian Doctrine. Centre for Land Warfare Studies. ISBN 9789380502458. OCLC 678542539.
- Bakshi, G. D. (2010). The Rise of Indian Military Power: Evolution of an Indian Strategic Culture. KW Publishers. ISBN 9788187966524. OCLC 473662691.
- Bakshi, G. D. (1999). Afghanistan, the First Fault-Line War. Lancer Publishers. ISBN 1897829493. OCLC 41213913.
- Bakshi, G. D. (1990). Mahabharata, a Military Analysis. Lancer International. ISBN 8170620945. OCLC 39223360.
- Bakshi, G. D. (2016). Bose: The Indian Samurai - Netaji and the Ina a Military Assessment. ISBN 9789383649921.
- Bakshi, G. D. (2017). Guardians of the Gate: A Military History of the Mohiyal Fighting Brahmins. Knowledge World Publishers, New Delhi.
- "Major Gen GD Bakshi wants India to prep for another Mahabharata". Catchnews.
- "You have seen him on TV, but who is Gen GD Bakshi?". ABP Live.
- Puri, Luv (25 September 2005). "Pir Panjal vulnerable despite people's might". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Bakshi, G. D. "Promotion System in the Army: Dealing with Peacetime Atrophy". Institute of Defence Studies and Analyses.
- "India's responses to Pakistan Army's terror overdrive". salute.co.in.
- Soldiers in the Sun and Snow: A History of the J&K Rifles, The J&K Rifles Regimental Centre Jabalpur, Kishtwar cauldron: The Struggle Against Ethnic Cleansing in Kishtwar, Pentagon Press, New Delhi 2010
- Bose: The Indian Samurai - Netaji and the INA a Military Assessment. India: K W PUBL PVT Limited. 2016. p. 384. ISBN 9789383649921.