G. M. Kumar
G. M. Kumar
Govindraj Manoharan Kumar
26 July 1957
|Occupation||Actor, Film director, producer, writer|
G. M. Kumar is an Indian film actor who has appeared in Tamil language films. He won Nandi Award for Second Best Story Writer film Muvva Gopaludu (1987) its an official remake of his own film Aruvadai Naal
Kumar debuted in films by directing Sivaji Productions' Aruvadai Naal (1986) with Prabhu in the lead role. The film won good reviews and fetched Kumar several offers to make more films, though he noted that he rejected several as the producers were unwilling to have Ilaiyaraaja as composer. His next two directorial venture Pickpocket and Uruvam were disasters.The film Irumbu Pookal's music did well as two songs were composed by M.S.Viswanathan, however the film failed at the box office. Due to his insistence that he will direct only if music is by Illayraja, he lost films. Thus his market value significantly diminished and only went to make three more films despite his initial success. His decision to produce and direct Uruvam became a financial failure and put him into bankruptcy. He ended up making his acting debut as a villain in Bharathiraja's Captain Magal (1992), before disappearing to make documentaries and to study anthropology. In the early 2000s, he was once again on the verge of bankruptcy and chose to act in minor roles offered by his protege Raj Kapoor, in films including Ramchandra and the unreleased Sivalingam IPS. He expressed his surprise at being given an offer by Shankar's production house and took up the role in Veyil (2006) to make ends meet, winning acclaim for his role.
Bala approached him to star in Avan Ivan as a character called Highness, with his performance winning him a nomination for the Vijay Award for Best Supporting Actor. Critics labelled his performance as "riveting", though the film only won average reviews.
|Avan Ivan||Zamindar Thirthapathi (Highness)||Nominated, Vijay Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2014||Jagajala Pujabala Thenaliraman|
|Ennama Katha Vudranunga|
|2017||Saravanan Irukka Bayamaen|
|Velaiilla Pattadhari 2||Chettiyar||Bilingual film in Tamil and Telugu|
|2019||Naan Avalai Sandhitha Pothu|
|1990||My Dear Marthandan|
Debut Web Series
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 October 2014. Retrieved 11 October 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "నంది అవార్డు విజేతల పరంపర (1964–2008)" [A series of Nandi Award Winners (1964–2008)] (PDF). Information & Public Relations of Andhra Pradesh. Retrieved 21 August 2020.(in Telugu)
- "Events - GM Kumar - Director Bala's Pick". Indiaglitz.com. 26 April 2011. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Movie Review : Review: Avan Ivan depends on male leads". Sify.com. Archived from the original on 28 October 2014. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Tamannaah shares glimpse of recent photoshoot after recovering from COVID-19". The News Minute. 4 November 2020. Archived from the original on 4 November 2020. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- Bhatia, Tamannaah (30 November 2019). "Wrapped up the first schedule of The November's Story, my maiden Tamil web series, eagerly looking forward to the next schedule curated by a young passionate talented lot 💃💃💃 Produced by @anandavikatan for @hotstar Directed by @ram_1825 #Ramsubramanian Director of photography @vidhu.ig #vidhuayyanna Hair @tinamukharjee Makeup @nikki_rajani Costume @nishkalulla". Instagram. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "November Story Teaser". YouTube. 22 October 2020. Retrieved 22 October 2020.