G. Murray Snow
|G. Murray Snow|
|Judge on the United States District Court for the District of Arizona|
July 23, 2008
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Stephen M. McNamee|
|Judge on the Arizona Court of Appeals|
|Born||Grant Murray Snow
1959 (age 57–58)
Boulder City, Nevada
|Education||Brigham Young University (B.A, J.D)|
Grant Murray Snow (born 1959) is a District Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Arizona.
Early life and education
Snow was born in Boulder City, Nevada. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree from Brigham Young University (BYU) in 1984. He received a Juris Doctor degree from J. Reuben Clark Law School, at BYU in 1987.
Snow started his legal career as a law clerk for Judge Stephen H. Anderson, United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit from 1987 to 1988. He was in private practice in Phoenix, Arizona from 1988 to 2002. He was a judge on the Arizona Court of Appeals from 2002 to 2008.
Snow was nominated by President George W. Bush on December 11, 2007, to a seat vacated by Stephen M. McNamee. He was confirmed by the United States Senate on June 26, 2008, and received his commission on July 23, 2008.
On May 24, 2013, Snow ruled that the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office (MCSO), and Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio violated the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and committed acts of racial profiling against Hispanics. The judge will also preside over the United States Department of Justice's lawsuit to gain access to MCSO’s documents and facilities, as part of the department’s investigation of alleged discrimination in MCSO’s police practices and jail operations. On January 15, 2015, he announced that he would be bringing civil contempt charges against the MCSO, with a hearing to be held in April, and on August 19, 2016, as one result of those proceedings, he issued an order requesting that the United States Attorney for the Arizona district prosecute Arpaio and three of his MCSO associates for criminal contempt.
- G. Murray Snow at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- "PDF of Judge Snow's ruling" (PDF). May 24, 2013. Retrieved May 25, 2013.
- "Judge picked for records lawsuit against sheriff". Associated Press. Bonneville International. September 20, 2010. Archived from the original on July 19, 2011. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- "Justice Department Files Lawsuit Against Maricopa County Sheriff's Office For Refusing Full Cooperation With Title VI Investigation". The United States Department of Justice. September 2, 2010. Retrieved September 30, 2010.
- Megan Cassidy (January 16, 2015). "Judge: Arpaio will face contempt hearing in April". Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- Kimberly Hutcherson (August 20, 2016). "Judge seeks criminal contempt charges against Sheriff Joe Arpaio". Retrieved August 20, 2016.
Stephen M. McNamee
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arizona