G. V. Dorsey
|Godwin Volney Dorsey|
|11th Ohio State Treasurer|
January 14, 1862 – September 25, 1865
|Preceded by||Alfred P. Stone|
|Succeeded by||William Hooper|
November 17, 1812|
May 15, 1885 (aged 72)|
|Resting place||Forest Hill Union Cemetery, Piqua|
|Political party||Democratic, Republican|
Ohio Medical College
Presidential elector in 1848 for Cass/Butler. He was a Democratic delegate to the 1850 Ohio Constitutional Convention, and a member of the Democratic National Convention in 1856. He was the Democratic nominee for the 4th congressional district in 1854, but lost with 30% of the vote. In 1856 he lost to Matthias H. Nichols by 245 votes for the same district. In 1859, he ran for Ohio State Auditor, but lost to Republican Robert Walker Tayler, Sr.
Dorsey was elected as Ohio State Treasurer as a Republican in 1861 and 1863 and was a member of the Republican National Convention in 1864. He resigned as Treasurer September 25, 1865. David Tod was Elector-at-large in 1868 for Grant/Colfax. He died before the meeting of electors, and was replaced by Dorsey.
- Troy Historical Society
- Miami County, p. 584.
- Smith 1898, p. 143.
- Taylor 1899, p. 255.
- Smith 1898, p. 27.
- Smith 1898, p. 65.
- Smith 1898, p. 95.
- Wikoff 1875, p. 12.
- Wilson, James Grant; Fiske, John, eds. (1900). "Dorsey, Godwin Volney". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. New York: D. Appleton.
- G. V. Dorsey at Find a Grave
- Smith, Joseph P, ed. (1898). History of the Republican Party in Ohio. I. Chicago: the Lewis Publishing Company.
- Taylor, William Alexander; Taylor, Aubrey Clarence (1899). Ohio statesmen and annals of progress: from the year 1788 to the year 1900 ... 1. State of Ohio. p. 255.
- The History of Miami County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County; Its ... Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co. 1880.
- Wikoff, Allen T. (1875). Annual report of the secretary of state to the Governor of the state of Ohio for the year 1874. Columbus: Nevins & Myers, State Printers. p. 12.
Alfred P. Stone
| Treasurer of Ohio