G. V. Prakash Kumar
|G V Prakash Kumar|
|Also known as||G V Prakash, GVP, GV|
13 June 1987 |
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Occupation(s)||Film composer, instrumentalist, playback singer, film producer, actor|
|Instruments||Guitar, keyboard/piano, vocals (playback singing)|
G V Prakash Kumar is an Indian film score and soundtrack composer, actor and singer. He has mainly scored music for Tamil films. His first film was S Pictures' Veyil (2006) and he became popular in Tamil cinema by the early 2010s. He has ventured into film production and acting.
Prakash Kumar is the son of G Venkatesh and playback singer, A. R. Reihana, elder sister of music director A. R. Rahman. Prakash married singer Saindhavi, with whom he studied at Chettinad Vidyashram, on 27 June 2013 at the Mayor Ramanathan Chettiar Hall in Chennai.
He first appeared as a vocalist on the soundtrack of director S. Shankar's Tamil film Gentleman, composed by his maternal uncle, A. R. Rahman. He has also contributed to some of Rahman's other projects. He had also worked with Harris Jayaraj and sang two songs in Anniyan and Unnale Unnale.
GV Prakash's introduction as a film composer was in the critically acclaimed Tamil film Veyil, directed by Vasantha Balan and produced by the director S. Shankar. His music in the film Madrasapattinam directed by A. L. Vijay was appreciated mainly for his song "Pookal Pookum Tharunam".
He went on to win critical acclaim for his music in Selvaraghavan's drama film Mayakkam Enna, which became his third collaboration that featured Dhanush in the lead role. The album's five songs were written by Selvaraghavan and Dhanush, with the pair also coming together to sing the song, "Kadhal En Kadhal". The album also included the song "Pirai Thedum", which Prakash sang himself along with his fiancée, Saindhavi whilst another song, "Voda Voda Voda", written and sung by Dhanush, was composed in just 15 minutes and recorded within an hour. Rediff.com reviewed the soundtrack claiming that Prakash had "tried very hard to walk away from his comfort zone and provide the kind of edgy numbers Selvaraghavan demands, and has risen to the challenge". Critics from entertainment portal Behindwoods.com cited that Prakash "reiterates his talent once again" and gave a verdict that the album is "intoxicating enough". In late September 2011, a single track, "Oru Murai", written by Thamarai and composed and sung by Prakash in R. S. Infotainment's Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal was released. His subsequent releases include the political satire Saguni and the background score of the Hindi crime film Gangs of Wasseypur. The movie Darling songs were a hit. Especially "Vandha Mala", "Anbe Anbe", and "Sattunu Idi Mazhai". Prakash's songs in Kaaka Muttai were a massive hit. "Karuppu Karuppu" song was on charts for a few months. "Karuppu Nerathazhagi" was a huge hit from Komban. GV Prakash signed his 50th film with Director Atlee that is Vijay 's 59th which is named as Theri.The movie soundtrack rated 3.25/5 by Behindwoods.
In 2013, Prakash Kumar launched his own production house under the name "GV Prakash Kumar Productions". His first film, Madha Yaanai Koottam was directed by Vikram Sugumaran a former assistant of Balu Mahendra.
In 2012, director AR Murugadoss had seen a picture of G. V. Prakash on a poster promoting his work in A. L. Vijay's Thaandavam and contacted him regarding a potential acting venture. Prakash agreed to star in the project and though the film later failed to take off, he remained interested in acting opportunities. He subsequently signed on to appear in three films in quick succession, with the three entering production simultaneously. In order to further his acting ability, he took lessons from actor Aadukalam Naren and has noted his stage performances as a singer, were also helpful in demonstrating his potential as an actor. Prakash was going to make his acting debut in a film titled Pencil opposite Sri Divya, where he will be playing a school student. However, as Pencil's release was delayed, his first release became the horror film, Darling. A remake of the 2013 Telugu film Prema Katha Chitram, the film got positive reviews. Trisha Illana Nayanthara got released on September 17 which was Vinayagar Chathurthi. On the opening weekend it collected 10 crores. It is a youth hit. It is still going well in theaters. He has signed another film named Bruce Lee. The shooting has started in October last year and the film is to be expected to hit the screens in summer.Kriti Kharbanda, the debutant actress will be the lead opposite of Prakash in Bruce Lee.He has also signed a Film with Sam Anton... Anandhi Who acted with Prakash in Trisha Illana Nayanthara will be the female lead in Sam Anton's Tamil film ennaku innoru peru irruku that is expected to hit theaters in August 2016.
As music director
- Released soundtracks
- #Film score by another composer
- #2Soundtrack by another composer
- The films are listed in order that the music released, regardless of the dates the film released.
- The year next to the title of the affected films indicates the release year of the either dubbed or remade version in the named language later than the original version.
- • indicates original language release. Indicates simultaneous makes, if featuring in more languages
- ♦ indicates a remade version, the remaining ones being dubbed versions
- Forthcoming soundtracks
- 2011 Chellamay
|2008||Kuselan||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Cinema Cinema" song|
|2013||Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||Himself||Cameo appearance in "College Padam" song|
|Thalaivaa||Bar dancer||Cameo appearance in "Vaanganna" song|
|2015||JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Title" song|
|2015||Darling||Kathir||Edison Award for Debut Actor
SIIMA Award for Best Debut Actor
Filmfare Award for Best Male Debut – South
|Trisha Illana Nayanthara||Jeeva|
|Enakku Innoru Per Irukku||Johnny|
|Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru||Filming|
|2016||Adra Machan Visilu||"Yaru iva"|
|2016||Theri||"Eena Meena Teeka", "En Jeevan II"|
|2015||Eetti||"Un Swasam", "Naan Pudicha Mosakutiye"|
|2015||Trisha Illana Nayanthara||"Bittu Padam Di", "Yenachu Yedhachu"|
|2015||Kaaka Muttai||"Karuppu Karuppu", "Edhai Ninaithom"|
|2015||Idhu Enna Maayam||"Iravaaga Nee", "Irukiraai"|
|2015||Rajathanthiram||"Yen Idha Paarvaigal"|
|2015||Darling||"Anbe Anbe", "Sattena Idi Mazhai"|
|2014||Poriyaalan||"Kan Rendum"||composed by M. S. Jones|
|2014||Naan Sigappu Manithan||"Elelo", "Idhayam Unnai Theduthey"|
|2014||Irumbu Kuthirai||"Penne Penne"|
|2013||JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai||"Nee Enna Pesuvaai", "Facebook Login"|
|2013||Raja Rani||"Imaye", "Hey Baby"|
|2013||Biriyani||"Edhirthu Nil"||composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|2013||Udhayam NH4||"Yaaro Ivan", "Vaa Iravugal"|
|2013||Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||"Yaarivano"|
|2013||Madha Yaanai Koottam||"Kona Kondakari"||composed by N. R. Raghunandan|
|2012||Neerparavai||"Para Para"||composed by N. R. Raghunandan|
|2012||Sundarapandian||"Rekkai Mulaiththen"||composed by N. R. Raghunanthan|
|2012||Thaandavam||"Anicham Poovazhagi", "Adhigaalai Pookal"|
|2012||Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal||"Oru Murai"|
|2011||Mayakkam Enna||"Pirai Thedum"|
|2010||Va||"Unnai Kann", "Sharp Sharpji"|
|2010||Aayirathil Oruvan||"Indha Paadhai"|
|2007||Unnale Unnale||"Hello Miss"||composed by Harris Jayaraj|
|2005||Anniyan||"Kadhal Yaanai"||composed by Harris Jayaraj|
|1995||Muthu||"Kuluvalilae"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1995||Indira||"Ini Achamillai"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1995||Bombay||"Kuchi Kuchi"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1994||May Madham||"Madrasai Suthi", "Palakkattu Machanukku"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1993||Uzhavan||"Kaathu Kaathu Dinam Kaathu"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1993||Uzhavan||"Maari Mazhai Peyaadho"||composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1993||Gentleman||"Chikku Bukku Rayile"||composed byA. R. Rahman|
- 2011: Best Music Director – Tamil – Aadukalam
- 2012: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Thandavam
- 2011: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Deiva Thirumagal
- 2011: Nominated, Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer – Tamil – "Yathe Yathe" from Aadukalam
- 2010: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Aayirathil Oruvan
- 2010: Nominated, Best Music Director – Tamil – Madrasapattinam
- 2010: Best Song of the Year – Pookal Pookum Tharunam – Madrasapattinam
- 2011: Best Music Director of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Album of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Mirchi Listeners Choice Best Album – Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Song Sung by a Music Director – "Yathe Yathe" from Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Folk Song of the Year – "Otha Sollaala" from Aadukalam
- 2011: Popular Album of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Popular Duet of the Year – "Pirai Thedum" from Mayakkam Enna (shared with Saindhavi)
- Other awards
- 2011: BigFm Award for Best Duet of the Year – "Ayyayo"
- 2011: BigFm Award for Best Music director and Lyricist combination of the Year – "Aariro"
- 2011: Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Music Director – Madrasapattinam
- 2011: Vikatan Award for Best Music Director – Aadukalam
- 2012: Film Fans Association Award for Best Music Director – Aadukalam
- "GV Prakash to marry singer Saindhavi". www.filmibeat.com.
- "Reihana Interview". Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "GV Prakash-Saindhavi wedding on June 27!". Sify. 17 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "A passion for music". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 28 January 2008. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Audio launch of Mayakkam Enna". The Times of India. 21 September 2011.
- "Review: Mayakkam Enna songs are entertaining". Rediff. 22 September 2011.
- "Mayakkam Enna Music Review".
- "GV Prakash Kumar turns producer". Indian Express. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "G V Prakash turns producer". Times of India. 23 January 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Sudhir Srinivasan. "On a different note". The Hindu.
- "GV Prakash turns hero in 'Pencil'". The New Indian Express.
- "The 59th Idea Filmfare Awards 2011(South)". The Times of India. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- "Uyirin Uyire gets award". Times of India. 22 March 2013. Retrieved 22 March 2013.