G. V. Prakash Kumar
G. V. Prakash Kumar
|Born||13 June 1987|
|Parent(s)||G. Venkatesh |
A. R. Reihana
|Relatives||A. R. Rahman (uncle) |
(Bhavani Sre) (sister)
G. V. Prakash Kumar is an Indian Tamil composer, actor, producer and singer. He has predominantly scored music for Tamil films and Telugu films. His first film was S Pictures' Veyyil (2006) and he became popular in Tamil cinema by the early 2010s. He made his debut in acting on 2015 through Darling.
Prakash Kumar is the only son of G. Venkatesh and playback singer A. R. Reihana, who is the elder sister of music director A. R. Rahman. He also has a younger sister named Bhavani Sre, who is an actress and appeared in films such as Ka. Pae. Ranasingam and Paava Kadhaigal.
He first appeared as a vocalist on the soundtrack of director S. Shankar's Tamil film Gentleman (1993), composed by his maternal uncle, A. R. Rahman. He has also contributed to some of Rahman's other projects. He had also worked with Harris Jayaraj and sang two songs in Anniyan (2005) and Unnale Unnale (2007).
G.V. Prakash's introduction as a film composer was in the critically acclaimed Tamil film Veyil (2006) directed by Vasanthabalan and produced by director S. Shankar. His music in the film Madrasapattinam (2010), directed by A. L. Vijay was appreciated mainly for his song "Pookal Pookum Tharunam".
He went on to win critical acclaim for his music in Selvaraghavan's fantasy action adventure film Aayirathil Oruvan (2010) and drama film Mayakkam Enna (2011), which became his third collaboration that featured Dhanush in the lead role. The album's five songs were written by Selvaraghavan and Dhanush, with the pair also coming together to sing the song "Kadhal En Kadhal". The album also included the song "Pirai Thedum", which Prakash sang himself along with his fiancée, Saindhavi whilst another song "Voda Voda Voda", written and sung by Dhanush, was composed in just 15 minutes and recorded within an hour. Rediff.com reviewed the soundtrack claiming that Prakash had "tried very hard to walk away from his comfort zone and provide the kind of edgy numbers Selvaraghavan demands, and has risen to the challenge". Critics from entertainment portal Behindwoods.com cited that Prakash "reiterates his talent once again" and gave a verdict that the album is "intoxicating enough". In late September 2011, a single track "Oru Murai", written by Thamarai and composed and sung by Prakash in R. S. Infotainment's Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal (2012) was released. His subsequent releases include the political satire Saguni (2012) and the background score of the Hindi crime film Gangs of Wasseypur. Songs of the movie Darling (2015) were hits. Especially "Vandha Mala", "Anbe Anbe" and "Sattunu Idi Mazhai".This is also the debut film for Prakash as an actor. Prakash's songs in Kaaka Muttai (2015) were massive hits. "Karuppu Karuppu" song was on charts for a few months. "Karuppu Nerathazhagi" was a huge hit from Komban (2015). G.V. Prakash signed his 50th film with director Atlee that is Vijay's 59th, which is named Theri (2016).
In 2013, Prakash Kumar launched his own production house under the name "GV Prakash Kumar Productions". His first film Madha Yaanai Koottam, was directed by Vikram Sugumaran, a former assistant of Balu Mahendra.
In 2012, director A.R. Murugadoss approached Kumar regarding a potential acting venture. Prakash agreed to star in the project, however, the film later failed to take off. He subsequently signed on to appear in three films in quick succession, with the three entering production simultaneously. In order to further his acting ability, he took lessons from actor Aadukalam Naren and has noted that his stage performances as a singer were also helpful in demonstrating his potential as an actor.
Prakash was going to make his acting debut in a film titled Pencil, opposite Sri Divya, where he will be playing a school student. However, as Pencil's release was delayed, his first release became the horror film Darling. A remake of the 2013 Telugu film Prema Katha Chitram. Thereafter, Trisha Illana Nayanthara (2015). The film deals with the present day definition of love and the perspective of today’s youngsters of both genders about love, relationship, virginity etc. In 2016, he appeared in Pencil and two comedies films Enakku Innoru Per Irukku and Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru. The next is Bruce Lee (2017). He acted in the climax sequence as cameo appearance with Silambarasan's Anbanavan Asaradhavan Adangadhavan (2017). In 2018, he starred in Bala's action crime Naachiyaar. He acted in second role next to Jyothika. Then the comedy-drama, Semma released on May. In 2019, he had five releases this year with Sarvam Thaala Mayam, Kuppathu Raja, Watchman, Sivappu Manjal Pachai and 100% Kadhal.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|2008||Kuselan||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Cinema Cinema" song|
|Kathanayakudu||Telugu film; cameo appearance in "Cinema Cinema" song|
|2013||Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||Cameo appearance in "College Paadam" song|
|Thalaivaa||Bar dancer||Cameo appearance in "Vaanganna" song|
|2015||Darling||Kathir||Debut as lead role|
|JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai||Himself||Cameo appearance in "Title" song|
|Trisha Illana Nayanthara||Jeeva|
|Enakku Innoru Per Irukku||Johnny|
|Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru||Kumar|
|2017||Bruce Lee||Bruce Lee (Gemini Ganesan)|
|Anbanavan Asaradhavan Adangadhavan||Jeeva||Cameo appearance|
|2019||Sarvam Thaala Mayam||Peter Johnson|
|Sivappu Manjal Pachai||Madhan|
|2021||Vanakkam Da Mappilei||Aravind||Direct-to-television|
|Kadhalai Thedi Nithya Nandha||TBA||delayed|
|Trap City||TBA||Independent English-language movie|
|Untitled 'Kaushik Ramalingam' Project||TBA||Filming|
As music composer
- Released soundtracks
- #Film score by another composer
- #2Soundtrack by another composer
- Upcoming films as composer
- The films are listed in order that the music released, regardless of the dates the film released.
- The year next to the title of the affected films indicates the release year of the either dubbed or remade version in the named language later than the original version.
- • indicates original language release. Indicates simultaneous makes, if featuring in more languages
- ♦ indicates a remade version, the remaining ones being dubbed versions
- Film songs
|2021||Bagheera||"Psycho Raja"||Ramya Nambeesan||Composed by Ganesan Sekar|
|Login||"No Mattum Sollu"||Composed by Vibin R|
|2020||Soorarai Pottru||"Usurey"||Maya Mahalingam|
|2019||Asuran||"Pollatha boomi"||Yugabharathi||Dhanush, Ken Karunas, Teejay Arunachalam|
|Vanigan||"Vaadi muttakanni"||Composed by Suresh Kumar T R and Bhuvanesh Selvanesan|
|Party||"Thean Pudhu Thean"||Saindhavi||Composed by Premgi Amaren|
|100% Kadhal||"Kannum Kannum Plus"||Maalavika Sundar|
|"Oru Vaanam"||Andrea Jeremiah|
|Sarvam Thaala Mayam ||"Peter Beata Edhu"||Sathyaprakash, Arjun Chandy||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|2018||Lakshmi||"Ala Ala"||Saindhavi||Composed by Sam C. S.|
|Naachiyaar||"Unna Vitta Yaarum Illa"||Priyanka||Composed by Ilayaraja|
|2017||Mersal||"Mersal Arasan"||Vivek||Naresh Iyer, Sharanya Srinivas, T. G. Vishwaprasad||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|2016||Bruce Lee||"Sugar Mint-u Kari"||M. M. Manasi|
|Kadavul Irukaan Kumaru||"Gum Zaare"||Al Rufin, Malavika Sundar|
|"Hey paathu podi"||Grace Karunas, Ken Karunas|
|"Nee pona theruvula"||M. C. Vickey, Vishnupriya Ravi|
|Adra Machan Visilu||"Yaru Iva"||Namitha Babu||Composed by N. R. Raghunandan|
|Theri||"Eena Meena Teeka"||Pa. Vijay and Arunraja Kamaraj (RAP part)||Uthara Unnikrishnan|
|2015||Eetti||"Un Swasam"||MC Vickey, Maya|
|"Naan Pudicha Mosakutiye"||Shakthisree Gopalan|
|Trisha Illana Nayanthara||"Bittu Padam Di"||Kalyani Pradeep, Saindhavi|
|"Yenachu Yedhachu"||Adhik Ravichandran|
|Kaaval||"Un Kannukullara"||Priya Himesh|
|Kaaka Muttai||"Edhai Ninaithom"|
|Idhu Enna Maayam||"Iravaaga Nee"||Saindhavi|
|Pencil||"Yaarai Polum", "Kangaliliae II", "LED Kannala II"|
|Rajathanthiram||"Yen Idha Paarvaigal"|
|Darling||"Anbe Anbe", "Sattena Idi Mazhai"|
|Poriyaalan||"Kan Rendum"||Composed by M. S. Jones|
|Kathai Thiraikathai Vasanam Iyakkam||"Pen Maegam Polavae"||Composed by Sharreth|
|Naan Sigappu Manithan||"Elelo", "Idhayam Unnai Theduthey"||Composed by G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|Irumbu Kuthirai||"Penne Penne"||Composed by G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|2013||JK Enum Nanbanin Vaazhkai||"Nee Enna Pesuvaai", "Facebook Login"|
|Thalaivaa||"Yaar Indha Saalai Oram"||Na. Muthukumar|
|Raja Rani||"Imaye", "Hey Baby"|
|Biriyani||"Edhirthu Nil"||Composed by Yuvan Shankar Raja|
|Udhayam NH4||"Yaaro Ivan", "Vaa Iravugal"|
|Naan Rajavaga Pogiren||"Yaarivano"|
|Madha Yaanai Koottam||"Kona Kondakari"||Composed by N. R. Raghunanthan|
|2012||Neerparavai||"Para Para"||Composed by N. R. Raghunanthan|
|Sundarapandian||"Rekkai Mulaiththen"||Composed by N. R. Raghunanthan|
|Thaandavam||"Anicham Poovazhagi", "Adhigaalai Pookal"|
|Muppozhudhum Un Karpanaigal||"Oru Murai"|
|Saguni||"Manasellam Mazhaiye"||Na. Muthukumar||Sonu Nigam, Saindhavi||Composed by G. V. Prakash Kumar|
|2011||Mayakkam Enna||"Pirai Thedum"|
|2010||Va||"Unnai Kann", "Sharp Sharpji"|
|Aayirathil Oruvan||"Indha Paadhai"|
|2007||Unnale Unnale||"Hello Miss"||Composed by Harris Jayaraj|
|2005||Anniyan||"Kadhal Yaanai"||Composed by Harris Jayaraj|
|1999||Suriya Paarvai||"Ganapathi Thatha"||Composed by S. A. Rajkumar|
|1999||Mudhalvan||"Alagaana Ratchachiye"||Composed by A.R.Rahman|
|1995||Muthu||"Kuluvalilae"||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Indira||"Ini Achamillai"||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Bombay||"Kuchi Kuchi"||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1994||May Madham||"Madrasai Suthi", "Palakkattu Machanukku"||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|1993||Uzhavan||"Kaathu Kaathu Dinam Kaathu"||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Uzhavan||"Maari Mazhai Peyaadho"||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|Gentleman||"Chikku Bukku Rayile"||Composed by A. R. Rahman|
|2020||High & Dry||High and Dry||G. V. Prakash Kumar||Julia Gartha||Julia Gartha||G. V. Prakash Kumar,
|First International Song by G. V. Prakash Kumar|
- Independent songs
|2021||Hey Singari||Arul raj|
|2020||High & Dry||Julia Gartha|
As dubbing artist
|2021||99 Songs||Ehan Bhatt||For Tamil version|
- 2010: Best Song of the Year – Pookal Pookum Tharunam – Madrasapattinam
- 2011: Best Music Director of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Album of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Mirchi Listeners Choice Best Album – Aadukalam
- 2012: MTV VMAI Award for Best Regional Music Video – "Uyirin Uyire" from Thaandavam
- 2011: Best Song Sung by a Music Director – "Yathe Yathe" from Aadukalam
- 2011: Best Folk Song of the Year – "Otha Sollaala" from Aadukalam
- 2011: Popular Album of the Year – Aadukalam
- 2011: Popular Duet of the Year – "Pirai Thedum" from Mayakkam Enna (shared with Saindhavi)
- Other awards
- 2011: Norway Tamil Film Festival Award for Best Music Director – Madrasapattinam
- 2019: Zee Cine Awards Tamil Award for Best Background Score - Asuran
- "Kollywood Musician G V Prakash Kumar Biography, News, Photos, Videos". nettv4u.
- "G. V. Prakash Kumar: Movies, Photos, Videos, News, Biography & Birthday | eTimes". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- Balu, Aparijitha (14 September 2019). "GV Prakash Kumar On A Signing Spree". Silver Screen.
- "GV Prakash to star opposite Varsha Bollomma in his next". India Times. Times of India. 13 September 2019.
- "Exclusive biography of @gvprakash and on his life". FilmiBeat.
- "G.V. Prakash Kumar". IMDb.
- "Response to 'Darling' makes G.V. Prakash Kumar 'responsible'". 17 January 2015.
- "Reihana Interview". Behindwoods. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "GV Prakash-Saindhavi wedding on June 27!". Sify. 17 April 2013. Archived from the original on 21 November 2018. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "GV Prakash and Saindhavi welcome their first child, a baby girl". India Today. 21 April 2020.
- "A passion for music". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 28 January 2008. Archived from the original on 29 January 2008. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Audio launch of Mayakkam Enna". The Times of India. 21 September 2011. Archived from the original on 28 September 2012.
- "Review: Mayakkam Enna songs are entertaining". Rediff. 22 September 2011.
- "MAYAKKAM ENNA MUSIC REVIEW - MAYAKKAM ENNA MUSIC REVIEW". www.behindwoods.com.
- Team, DNA Web (10 April 2016). "'Theri': 5 reasons why you shouldn't miss this Vijay film". DNA India.
- "GV Prakash Kumar: If directors can wait, I would gladly compose for them". The New Indian Express.
- "GV Prakash Kumar turns producer". Indian Express. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "G V Prakash turns producer". The Times of India. 23 January 2013. Archived from the original on 25 December 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Sudhir Srinivasan. "On a different note". The Hindu.
- "GV Prakash turns hero in 'Pencil'". The New Indian Express.
- "Trisha Illana Nayanthara review. Trisha Illana Nayanthara Tamil movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com.
- "Gautham Menon in GV Prakash's next". The Times of India. 13 September 2019.
- "GV Prakash teams up with Hollywood actor Brandon T Jackson for Trap City. Watch video". India Today. 23 September 2019.
- Poorvaja, S (30 January 2019). "Ready for the GV Prakash marathon?". The Hindu.