GABRIELA Women's Party
|Founded||1984, 2003 (as partylist)|
|Slogan||Babae, bata, bayan... tuloy ang laban! (Women, children, (and the) nation... the struggle continues!)|
|Seats in the House of Representatives of the Philippines||
2 / 287
|House of Representatives party-list seats||
2 / 57
|Part of a series on|
It is a nationwide network of grassroots organizations, institutions, and programs that address issues such as human rights, poverty, globalization, militarism, violence, rape culture, health, sex trafficking, censorship and other issues affecting women. Its name is an acronym of General Assembly Binding Women for Reforms, Integrity, Equality, Leadership, and Action. There are regional chapters in Metro Manila, Cordillera Administrative Region, and Mindanao; sub-regional chapters in Negros, Panay and Samar, and provincial chapters in Bicol and Cebu.
GABRIELA was founded in April 1984 after 10,000 women marched in Manila, defying a Marcos decree against demonstrations. The NGO was named in honor of Gabriela Silang, who led a revolt against Spain in the second half of the eighteenth century.
In 2003, the party-list 'Gabriela Women's Party' was launched by GABRIELA. In the 2004 elections for the House of Representatives the party-list got 464,586 votes (3.6518% of the nationwide vote and one seat; Liza Maza) In the 14 May 2007 election, the party won 2 seats in the nationwide party-list vote.
Representatives to Congress
- 13th Congress (2004–2007) - Liza Maza
- 14th Congress (2007–2010) - Luzviminda Ilagan, Liza Maza
- 15th Congress (2010–2013) - Luzviminda Ilagan, Emerenciana de Jesus
- 16th Congress (2013–2016) - Luzviminda Ilagan, Emerenciana de Jesus
In the Philippines, GABRIELA is actively involved in awareness campaigns to prevent the trafficking of women and girls from the Philippines. Its strategies consist of seminars and information dissemination to NGOs and government agencies and awareness campaigns at the community level. GABRIELA Philippines reports that a Filipina woman sells for between $3000 and $5000 in the international sex trade.
GABRIELA-USA is the overseas chapter of the Philippine-based organization, extending the Filipino women's mass movement to the United States.
- "House wants to ban pornographic cartoon". Congress.gov.ph. 2009-04-12. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "Rad Geek People’s Daily 2006-03-23 – Reign of Terror in the Philippines; women’s movement criminalized". Radgeek.com. 2006-03-23. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- Comelec Archived April 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Liza Maza". Congress.gov.ph. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "Combat Trafficking: Prevention". HumanTrafficking.org. Retrieved 2010-10-18.
- "Women & The Economy - Globalization & Migration". Unpac.ca. Retrieved 2010-10-18.