General Administration for Traffic Safety
|General Administration for Traffic Safety|
Emblem of the Traffic police of Russia
Chevron of the Traffic police of Russia
|Motto||Serve Russia, Serve the law|
|Formed||3 July 1936|
|Size||17,098,242 square miles (44,284,240 km2)|
|Population||143,975,923 (2015 est.)|
|Legal jurisdiction||As per operations jurisdiction|
|General nature||• Federal law enforcement|
The General Administration for Traffic Safety of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Russia (Russian: Главное управление по обеспечению безопасности дорожного движения МВД России, ГУ ОБДД), popularly known under its historical abbreviation GAI (ГАИ), is a law enforcement agency and the Russian Traffic Patrol. They are responsible for the regulation of traffic, investigating traffic accidents, and manning the stop lights.
The GAI (Russian: ГАИ, IPA: [ɡɐˈi]), short for State Automobile Inspectorate (Russian: Государственная Автомобильная Инспекция, tr. Gosudarstvennaya Avtomobilnaya Inspektsiya), was formed on July 3, 1936. The GAI was part of the NKVD and actively starts executing tasks: fighting accidents, developing technical standards of operation of vehicles, supervises the preparation and education of drivers. And also keep records of accidents, analyze their causes, accident attracts offenders to justice, manages the issuance of license plates, data sheets, search cars, hiding from the accident scene.
After the dissolution of USSR, GAI was renamed GIBDD - General Administration for Traffic Safety. On March 2017 it was reported that the GIBDD is about to be dissolved until December 2018, as part of Russian police reform and will merged into the patrol service of the police.
Structure and organisation
- Roads Patrol Service (Дорожно-патрульная служба)
- Roads Inspection and Traffic organisation Service (Служба дорожной инспекции и организации движения)
- Inspection and registration (Служба технического осмотра и регистрации)
- Investigation Division vehicles (Подразделения розыска автотранспорта)
- Departament of Ensuring Road Traffic Safety of MVD of Russia (Russian: Департамент обеспечения безопасности дорожного движения МВД России, ДОБДД) abbreviated as DOBDD, since 1994
- State Inspection for Road Traffic Safety (Russian: Государственная Инспекция по безопасности дорожного движения) abbreviated as GIBDD, since 2002
- GAI (Russian: ГАИ, IPA: [ɡɐˈi]), short for State Automobile Inspectorate (Russian: Государственная Автомобильная Инспекция, tr. Gosudarstvennaya Avtomobilnaya Inspektsiya), until 2011
- DPS (ДПС (Дорожно-патрульная служба (Dorozhno-patrulnaya sluzhba))), Road Patrol Service - a part of the GAI/GIBDD directly responsible for patrolling the streets
Heads of Administration
- Vladimir Feodorov (1992-2002)
- Viktor Kiryanov (2003-2011)
- Vladimir Shvetsov (2011)
- Viktor Nilov (2011-2017)
- Mikhail Chernikov (2017-)
- Iskrina, N. A.; Khrapov, I. S. (1996). GAI: 60 years (in Russian). Moscow: The Joint Editorial Office of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs.
|This Russia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|