||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
GEO-2000 is the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Global Environment Outlook 2000.
The UNEP launched the Global Environment Outlook in 1995 to assess environmental issues and to have them published. The first report was published in 1999.
As well as some of the more well known issues the report identified new threats such as:
- nitrogen's harmful impact on ecosystems
- increased severity of natural disasters
- species invasion as a result of globalization
- increased environmental pressures caused by urbanization
- decline in the quality of governance in some countries
- new wars which impact on both the immediate environment and neighbouring states
- the impact of refugees on the natural environment
- UNEP - official GEO-2000 portal
|This environment-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|