|Founded||September 14, 2015|
GE Digital is a subsidiary of the American multinational conglomerate corporation General Electric. Headquartered in San Ramon, California, United States, the company provides software and advisory services around operational technology and infrastructure. GE Digital operates across a number of industries, including aviation, healthcare, manufacturing, mining, oil and gas, power generation and distribution, and transportation among others.
On July 1, 2019 Patrick Byrne joined GE as Chief Executive Officer of GE’s Digital business. Mr. Byrne reports to GE Chairman and Chief Executive Officer H. Lawrence Culp Jr., and is responsible for leading GE's digital strategy.
Currently, GE Digital’s primary offerings include edge to cloud-based software and analytics, field service management software, cybersecurity, and digital twin and industrial machine learning technology.
Predix Platform is GE Digital’s proprietary platform for developing industrial internet of things (IIoT) applications. It was launched in May 2013 to connect physical GE assets to its analytics platform, allowing industrial companies to link assets and collect data to centralize asset performance diagnostics. In 2014, GE announced its plans to expand and open the Predix Platform to companies building industrial applications and services as a cloud-based service that allowed the platform to scale. This was followed with the announcement of Predix cloud in August 2015, which GE built specifically to handle the types of data generated by heavy-duty machinery such as jet engines.
- 1 History
- 2 Notable Projects & Collaborations
- 3 References
- 4 External Links
2011–2014: Formation of GE Software
On January 6, 2011, GE Intelligent Platforms acquired SmartSignal Corporation, a predictive diagnostics and analytics solution company. In February 2011, then CEO Jeff Immelt announced that the company needed to become a software and analytics company or risk seeing its hardware products become commodities as information-based competitors took over. Bill Ruh was selected to lead the digital strategy of GE’s future and joined GE as the Vice President and Global Technology Director.
In October 2013 GE launched Predix Platform, an asset and operations optimization software platform. GE also launched 14 new Industrial Internet technologies across multiple industries.
In 2014, GE's software revenues exceeded $1 billion from more than 40 Industrial Internet offerings across the company. GE, along with AT&T, Cisco, IBM and Intel, also formed the Industrial Internet Consortium in a collective effort to improve integration of the physical and digital worlds.
2015–2016: Launch of GE Digital and GE Digital Alliance
On September 14, 2015, GE announced the creation of GE Digital, a move that brought together all of the digital capabilities from across the company into one organization. GE Digital formed as an integration between GE’s Software Center, its global IT and commercial software teams, and Wurldtech, a specialist industrial infrastructure security company purchased by GE in May 2014. Bill Ruh was also announced as the Chief Executive Officer for GE Digital as well as the senior vice president and Chief Digital Officer (CDO) for GE.
In February 2016, GE launched the GE Digital Alliance Program, a collaboration between system integrators, technology vendors, independent software vendors (ISVs), service providers and resellers, enabling developers to become certified for building industrial apps with Predix Platform. This was announced as GE opened the Predix software platform for general availability.
In September 2016, GE Digital acquired the asset performance management (APM) software and services company Meridium, Inc.
At GE’s Minds + Machines conference in November 2016, GE Digital announced a number of additional acquisitions to expand their offerings:
- GE Digital acquired data intelligence company BitStew Systems, to integrate its machine learning and artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities into Predix Platform, to automate the process of data modeling, mapping, and ingestion.
- GE Digital also acquired Wise.io, a machine learning and intelligent systems company, to further add to the Predix Platform.
- GE Digital also announced their acquisition of ServiceMax, to extend Predix and analytics across field service processes. This acquisition closed in January 2017.
In November 2016, GE Digital also launched its collaborative app development program.
2017–2018: ServiceMax and aiming for independence
In January, GE completed its acquisition of ServiceMax, a cloud-based field service management company.
In December, GE announced its intent to establish a wholly GE owned, independently run business with a new brand and identity, its own equity structure, and its own Board of Directors. The proposed new organization aims to bring together GE Digital’s industry-leading IIoT solutions including the Predix platform, Asset Performance Management, Historian, Automation (HMI/SCADA), Manufacturing Execution Systems, Operations Performance Management, and the GE Power Digital and Grid Software Solutions businesses. At the same time, GE announced its intended sale of a majority stake of ServiceMax.
Notable Projects & Collaborations
Digital Alliance Program
In February 2016, GE announced the GE Digital Alliance Program, a program dedicated to building the digital industrial ecosystem. This new program encompassed existing agreements with Accenture, AT&T, Cisco, SoftBank and Vodafone, plans underway with Capgemini, and began new strategic alliances with Intel, Genpact, TCS, Deloitte Digital, Softtek and Wipro Limited.
In July 2016, GE struck a partnership with Chinese telecommunications company Huawei Technologies to develop machines that are connected to the Internet. GE concurrently opened new $11 million software incubator in Shanghai to foster new technologies and start-ups - aimed at hastening the transition to digital machines that operate more efficiently.
Schindler and GE entered a strategic partnership to enhance Schindler’s capabilities to monitor, analyze and leverage data generated from its connected elevators, escalators and PORT Technology[clarification needed]
On October 18 2017, Apple and GE announced a partnership to deliver industrial apps designed to bring predictive data and analytics from Predix Platform, GE’s industrial Internet of Things (IoT) platform, to iPhone and iPad. The two companies unveiled a new Predix software development kit (SDK) for iOS, which gives developers the tools to make their own industrial IoT apps
- "Our Future is Digital". 15 September 2017.
- "Predix - Cloud-Based Platform for the Industrial Internet". 6 July 2017.
- "GE's Big Bet on Data and Analytics".
- "GE Announces Predix Cloud - The World's First Cloud Service Built for Industrial Data and Analytics". 15 August 2015.
- "GE Intelligent Platforms Acquires SmartSignal Corporation".
- "Building a Software Start-Up Inside GE". 29 January 2015.
- "GE Launches 14 New Industrial Internet Predictivity Technologies to Improve Outcomes For Aviation, Oil & Gas, Transportation, Healthcare and Energy".
- "GE to Open Up Predix Industrial Internet Platform to All Users". 9 October 2014.
- "Creation of GE Digital". www.businesswire.com.
- Miller, Ron. "GE Buys Wurldtech To Beef Up Internet of Things Industrial Infrastructure Security".
- "William A. Ruh: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com.
- "GE Digital Unveils Global Alliance Program, Forms New Collaborations on the Heels of Predix Platform General Availability, to Spur Industrial Internet Growth". 22 February 2016.
- "The Official Blog - Predix.io". www.predix.io.
- "GE Digital Acquires Meridium to Boost Industrial Internet". 15 September 2016.
- "GE Buys Bit Stew for $153M to Beef Up Its Industrial Internet Software".
- "General Electric Acquired These 2 Artificial Intelligence Startups".
- "GE Digital Acquires ServiceMax to Extend Predix and Analytics Across Field Service Processes". www.servicemax.com.
- "Creation of GE Digital". 14 September 2015.
- "GE Digital Completes Acquisition of ServiceMax, Enabling Service Transformation for Customers". 10 January 2017.
- "GE Advances Digital Leadership with Launch of $1.2 Billion Industrial IoT Software Company". GE Newsroom. 2018-12-13. Retrieved 2018-12-14.
- "GE Digital unveils Global Alliance Programme".
- "GE and Microsoft partner to bring Predix to Azure, accelerating digital transformation for industrial customers - Stories". 11 July 2016.
- "GE, Huawei to partner on Internet of Things".
- "Schindler GE Strategic Partnership Powers Digital Urban Mobility". www.schindler.com.
- "Apple & GE Partner to Bring Predix Industrial Apps to iPhone & iPad". 18 October 2017.