GE Honda HF120
|National origin||Japan/United States|
|Manufacturer||GE Honda Aero Engines|
|Major applications||Honda HA-420 HondaJet|
Succeeding Honda's original HF118 prototype, the HF120 was undergoing testing in July 2008, with certification targeted for late 2009. The first engines were produced at GE's factory, but in November 2014 production shifted to Burlington, North Carolina. The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) awarded Part 33 certification to the HF120 turbofan engine in December 2013, and production certification in 2015.
The engine has a wide-chord swept fan, two-stage low-pressure compressor and counter rotating high-pressure compressor based on a titanium impeller, for a 2,050 lbf (9.1 kN) takeoff thrust. The HF120 engine's components interact with greater efficiency by incorporating 3D aerodynamic design and its effusion-cooled combustor design emits few NOx, CO and HC. Noise levels are quieter than Stage 4 requirements.
In May 2016 time between overhaul was 2,500 h and should mature to 5,000 h; a midlife hot-section inspection isn't required and it should remain on wing 40% longer than other engines and have lower operating costs.
Data from Honda
- Type: Turbofan engine
- Length: 59.5 in (151 cm) (end-to-end)
- Diameter: 25.8 in (66 cm)
- Dry weight: 211.3 kg (466 lb) with basic accessories and optional equipment
- Compressor: One wide-chord fan, two axial LP stages, one centrifugal HP stage.
- Combustors: Compact reverse flow annular
- Turbine: One axial HP stage (48,777 rpm), two axial LP stages (19,055 rpm).
- Maximum thrust: 2,050 lbf (9.1 kN) (Takeoff)
- Overall pressure ratio: 24:1
- Bypass ratio: 2.9:1
- Turbine inlet temperature: 1,580 °F (860 °C) (Takeoff)
- Specific fuel consumption: <0.7 lb/lbf/h (71 kg/kN/h)
- Thrust-to-weight ratio: 4.4
- "GE Honda's HF120 Engine Completes First Run Test" (Press release). GE Aviation. October 19, 2009.
- "Engine Prototyping prepares GE Honda Aero Engines for certification tests" (Press release). GE Aviation Press Release. July 28, 2008.
- Curt Epstein (12 November 2014). "GE Honda Transitions HF120 Production to N. Carolina". Aviation International News.
- Chad Trautvetter (18 March 2015). "GE Honda Wins FAA Production Certificate for HF120 Engine". Aviation International News.
- "GE Honda Aero Engines". Flight International. Archived from the original on August 11, 2011.CS1 maint: unfit URL (link)
- "HF120 Engine". GE Honda Aero Engines.
- Fred George (May 26, 2016). "GE Honda HF120-H1A Turbofans". Business & Commercial Aviation. Aviation Week.
- Chad Trautvetter (18 September 2014). "Sierra Selects GE Honda HF120 for Sapphire CitationJet Upgrade Program". Aviation International News.
- Dan Parsons (20 October 2014), "GE Honda launches Cessna jet engine retrofit programme", Flightglobal
- "The Spectrum Freedom S.40 Overview".
- "HF120 Turbofan Engine". Honda Worldwide. Retrieved September 29, 2017.
- "TCDS No.: IM.E.054" (PDF). EASA. 20 April 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GE Honda HF120.|