Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology
Motto in English
|رَبِّ زدْنيِ عِلْماً (Arabic)
O my Lord! Advance me in Knowledge
|Location||Topi, Swabi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (February 2016)|
The Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology (Urdu: غلام اسحاق خان انسٹیٹیوٹ; commonly referred as GIKI (pronounced JeeKee), is a private research university located in Topi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. GIKI has six academic departments strongly emphasizing on science and engineering and its 400 acres (1.6 km2) primary campus is located in the vicinity of Swabi district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.
Founded by civil servant and former President Ghulam Ishaq Khan in 1988, the college attracted country's influential scientists such as Abdul Qadeer Khan, Asghar Qadir, and Shaukat Hameed Khan since its establishment, and played formulating role in transforming the college in elevating as one of world's finest science and engineering college. GIKI is among one of the top institutions ranked by the HEC, and also has a long-standing competition with the Pakistan Institute of Engineering and Applied Sciences (PIEAS).
- 1 History
- 2 Location
- 3 Admission
- 4 Faculties and Departments
- 5 Labs and Facilities
- 6 Student societies
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 Further reading
- 10 External links
The GIK Institute is a private educational institution, named after former bureaucrat and former President of Pakistan Ghulam Ishaq Khan. The project was delegated to Pakistani scientist, Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, who was one of the founding members of the institute and was once registered as an associate professor of physics.
The institute was registered in 1988 by its parent body, the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Sciences and Technology in Pakistan (SOPREST).
Ishaq Khan, while president of Pakistan, was elected the president of the Society for life and Mr. H. U. Beg was appointed its honorary executive director. The ordinance of the institute was promulgated by the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Government in March 1993, and the first batch of students was inducted the same year in October.
Major founding donors include nouman Benevolent Community Care, Infaq Foundation, Chiniot Anjuman-e-Islamia, Dawood Group of Industries, and the Government of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa which has donated land at Topi.
The university is situated beside the river Indus in the mountains of Tarbela and Gadoon-Amazai, in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa near the town of Topi and in proximity to the lakes of Tarbela Dam (world's largest earth-filled dam) and Ghazi. Its campus is in the mountains of Tarbela and Gadoon-Amazai, and is a residential campus with accommodation for students.
Admission to the university is based on the entry test. The test has MCQs of Physics, Mathematics and English. Eligibility criteria for admission to the university is at least 60% marks in physics and mathematics in FSc or Grade C in A levels. Entry test for the university is very competitive as large number of prospective students compete for a limited number of seats.
Faculties and Departments
Faculty of Chemical Engineering
The Faculty offers a 4-year bachelor's degree licensed by the PEC detailing basic principles & mathematics of process operations in the first two years. Third & final year deal with the advanced level of the trade closely selected to cope the industrial requirements.
The Faculty offers courses leading to Bachelor's (BS) in computer engineering and computer science. It also offers Master's (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degrees in Computer System Engineering.
Faculty of Engineering Sciences
The Faculty offers a 4-year degree program leading to Bachelor of Science in Engineering Sciences which encompasses some of the modern fields of engineering such as:
- Lasers and Electro-Optics
- Semiconductors and Superconducting Devices
- Modelling and Simulations
The faculty also offers MS and PHD degree programs in applied mathematics and applied physics.
Faculty of Electronic Engineering
It offers four year BS degree program in Electrical Engineering with following specializations:
-Electronic Engineering -Power Engineering
-Communication and Digital Signal Processing -Microelectronics and Asic Design -Electric Power and Control Systems
Prof. Dr. Nisar Ahmed(Dean) Prof. Dr. Khasan S. Karimov Prof. Dr. M.Junaid Mughal Prof. Dr Zia ul Haq Abbas Prof. Dr Adnan Noor Prof. Dr. Husnal Maab Prof. Dr. Farrah Fayyaz Prof. Dr. Muhammad Faisal Khan Prof. Dr. Muhammad Umar Prof. Dr. Arbab Abdur Rahim
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Mykola Bannikov, Ph.D (USSR)
- Sarwat Mushtaq Ahmad, Ph.D (University of Shieffield, UK)
- Shaukat Ali, PhD (Ecole dc mines denates, France)
- Khalid Rehman, Ph.D (Jeju National University South Korea)
- Muhibullah, Ph.D (INSA de Lyon, France)
- Massab Junaid, MS (KAUST Saudi Arabia)
- Ahmad Abbas, MS (GIK Institute, Pakistan)
- Abdul Wasy, MS (Changwon National University, South Korea)
- Mujahid Naseem, MS (GIK Institute, Pakistan)
- Faculty on Study Leave for Ph.D
- Arshad Khan
- Rashid Ali Khan, BS (GIK Institute, Topi)
- Safeer Khan, B.Sc Engg. (UET, Peshawar)
- Noman Iqbal, BS (GIK Institute, Topi)
- Haris Iftikhar, BS (GIK Institute, Topi)
- Faraz Aziz, BS (GIK Institute, Topi)
- Sulaiman Khan, BS, (GIK Institute, Topi)
- Faheem Ahmad, BS (GIK Institute, Topi)
- Usman Javed, BS (GIK Institute, Topi)
- Faisal Shahzad, B.Sc Engg. (UET, Taxila)
- Graduate Assistants
- Shahbaz Mahmood Khan
- Muhammad Rizwan Siddiqui
- Muhammad Abdul Ahad
- Kashif Ali (NUST Pakistan)
- Nauman Hanif
- Nayab Ghani
- Syed Ehtisham Gillani
- Muhammad Abbas
- Shehryar Ishaque
- shaukat khan
Faculty of Material Sciences and Engineering
The Faculty offers 4 year BS program in Materials Engineering which deals with a broad understanding of materials and the manufacturing of components. It offers following streams:
- Specialization in Materials
- Specialization in Manufacturing
- Specialization in Nanotechnology
- Minor in mining 
Faculty of Management Sciences and Humanities
Degree program at undergraduate level has started from 2013. This Faculty offers 4 year BS Management Science degree with specialization in:
- Supply Chain Management
International Advisory Board
The advisory board consists of scientists, engineers and academicians who monitoring the institutes' standards of education and research. It comprises faculty members from Kansas State University, Kyoto University, McGill University, University of Florida, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and other institutions.
Labs and Facilities
High Performance Computing Cluster
HPC platform has been donated to GIK Institute by Directorate of Science and Technology (DoST) KPK Pakistan. It is a compute intensive platform and has the following hardware components:
- Front Node: Dell R815 with 64 CPU cores, 256GB RAM, 1.8TB Secondary Memory
- 3 Compute Nodes: Dell R175 each with 32 CPU cores/ compute node (96 in total), 128GB RAM/ compute node (384GB in total), 600GB Secondary Memory/ compute node (1.8TB in total)
- NVIDIA Tesla M2090 Graphical Processing Unit (GPU) with 1024 GPU cores: This facility may be used for an emerging paradigm of parallel computing which uses GPUs as computing units
- Dell Power Connect 8024F layer-3 manageable switch: Front Node and the Compute Nodes are connected to each other using this switch. It provides an anormous data transfer rate of 10Gbit/s among the connected entities using fibre channels.
Agha Hasan Abedi (AHA) Auditorium
|This section does not cite any sources. (October 2014)|
The Agha Hasan Abedi (AHA) Auditorium is named after Agha Hasan Abedi.
- Professional societies: each faculty in the institute supports a professional organization, devoted to advancing theory and practice of their fields.
- Non-professional societies: these societies are created for non-technical purposes and do not represent any particular faculty.
- The GIKI WebTeam
- ACM - Association for Computing Machinery
- Adventure Club
- AIAA – American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- ASM/TMS – The Mineral, Metal & Material Society / American Society for Materials
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- CDES – Cultural Dramatics and Entertainment Society
- FOCUS- Fun Oriented Creative Undergraduate Students (Interest Group)
- GEAS - GIKI Environmental and Awareness Society
- GSS - GIKI Sports Society
- GMS - GIKI Mathematics Society
- GSS - Graduate Students Society
- Horizon Publication Society
- IET Institute of Engineering and Technology - GIKI Students Chapter
- IEEE - GIKI Chapter
- IEEE - Women In Engineering (WIE) GIKI Chapter
- LDS - Literary and Debating Society
- NAQSH Arts Society
- NETRONiX - Society of student administrators maintaining GIKI's local area network
- Project Topi
- GIKI Science Society
- SMEP – Society of Mechanical Engineers of Pakistanwebsite
- SOPHEP - Society for the Promotion of Higher Education Pakistan
- SPIE – Society for Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineerswebsite
- WES - Women Engineers Society
- List of engineering universities in Pakistan
- GIKI clock tower
- Project topi
- List of accidents and incidents involving military aircraft (2000–09)#2008 - for the aircraft crash at campus.
- Overview of Important Contacts in GIKI
- About GIKI - GIK Institute
- "HEC releases the rankings". TEX. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- HEC Ranking. "HEC Ranking". HEC Ranking. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "On institutions - Dr A Q Khan". Thenews.com.pk. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "About GIKI - GIK Institute". giki.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology - Campus". Giki.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "GIKI Entry Test Format - A Snapshot". Pakprep.com. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2015-04-10.
- "Faculty of Computer Sciences and Engineering". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Faculty of Engineering Sciences". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Faculty of Material Sciences and Engineering". The GIKI WebTeam.
- WebTeam, GIKI. "GIKI IT Facilities". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- WebTeam, GIKI. "The GIKI WebTeam". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- Asif Khan (March 29, 2012). "The Cultural Dramatics & Entertainment Society is geared up for its 14th All Pakistan Performing Arts". The News International.
- "NAQSH all Pakistan Art Festival At GIKI | Xnews - GIKI". 2010-10-11. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "UGX 2010: Biggest Gaming Event in GIKI | Xnews - GIKI". 2010-11-30. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Career building seminar held at GIKI | Pakistan Today | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Advancement: GIKI holds education expo – The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. 2011-02-26. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "A Tribute to Raja Jahanzeb - A Legend (Youth Magazine)". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Modelling and Simulation of Explosion Effectiveness as a Function of Blast and Crowd Characteristics
- Official GIK Institute's Website
- The GIKI WebTeam
- Satellite image on Wikimapia
- ‘Revolution likely if good governance remains a distant dream’