This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Native name||জি এম বি আকাশ|
|Known for||Documentary photography|
|Notable credit(s)||World Press Photo Joop Swart Master Class, The Netherlands.|
GMB Akash (Bengali: জি এম বি আকাশ) is a Bangladeshi documentary photographer. He has received more than 80 international awards and his work has been featured in over 70 major international publications.
Life and work
Akash was born in 1977 in Bangladesh. He graduated from Mymensingh Zilla School.
His work has been featured in The Guardian, the London Sunday Telegraph, National Geographic, Vogue, The Sunday Times, Newsweek, Geo, Stern, Der Spiegel, The Fader, Brand Ein, Marie Claire, Colors, The Economist, The New Internationalist, Kontinente, Amnesty Journal, Courier International, PDN, Die Zeit, Days Japan and Hello.
- Solo exhibition / book launch: First Light at the Bengal Gallery of Fine Arts. Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2006
- “My Country, My People" at the Evangelische Stadtkirche Offenburg organized by the Evangelische Stadtkirchengemeinde, Pfarrer Peter Scherhans. Offenburg, Germany, 2007
- "Dhaka- Hamburg" at the Town Hall Gallery. Hamburg, Germany, 2007
- "The People from the Edge of the World" at the Town Hall Gallery. Castrop-Rauxel, Germany, 2007
- "The Children from the Edge of the World" at the Hanes-Office. Brussels, Belgium, 2007
- "Living on the Fringe" at the Der Spiegel Magazine Gallery. Hamburg, Germany, 2007
- "Made in Bangladesh" in the Gallery of "Anti War House" in Sievershausen, Germany, 2007
- Exhibition in the Press House of the Government. Berlin, Germany, 2007
- Photo presentation "Bangladesh” on the Cap San Diego ship. In collaboration with Amnesty International. Hamburg, Germany, 2007
- Photo presentation "Dangerous Photos" in the auditorium of the Gruner+Jahr Publishing House. In collaboration with GEO and Stern magazines. Germany, 2007
- Photo presentation "Living on the Edge" in the auditorium of the Bonn University. In collaboration with Orient Asia. Bonn, Germany, 2007
- "Made in Bangladesh" in the Regional Court Building, Baden Baden. In collaboration with the Justice Ministry, Germany, 2007
- "Living on the Edge of Society"; the Gallery Kunstraum. Potsdam, Berlin, Germany, 2007
- Photo presentation in FREELENS annual meetings 2007 at the Museum for Work. Hamburg, Germany, 2007
- Charleston Center for Photography, South Carolina, US, 2009
- "The Voice of the True Survivors" at the HAT's Photo Art Gallery in Alessandria, Italy, 2009
- Survivors at Alliance Française de Dhaka, 2009; Shanghai International Photo Festival, China, 2010; Galleria di Porta Pepice, Matera, Italy, 2010; The Portuguese center of Photography, Porto, Portugal, 2011; Anastasia Gallery, US, 2012; Lugano Photo Festival, Lugano, Switzerland, 2013
- Soulscapes at the Bengal Gallery of Fine Arts, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2010; Alliance Française de Chittagong, Bangladesh, 2010
- "Born to work", The images festival in Vevey, Switzerland, 2010
- “Freedom to Create”, Cape Town, South Africa, 2011
- My Mapless world, Art-Buvette APCd Gallery, Fribourg, Switzerland, 2013
- Laos - A rural perspective at T'shop Lai Gallery, Organized by IFAD (International Fund for Agricultural Development) Vientiane, Laos, 2013
- "Water: Desert and Monsoon" with Gaetano Plasmati at Galleria di Porta Pepice, Matera, Italy, 2013
- 1997, Special award from 20th Photo contest in Asia and Pacific cultural center for UNESCO (ACCU) Japan
- 1999, Excellence from 23rd Photo contest in Asia and Pacific cultural center for UNESCO (ACCU) Japan
- 2000, Certificate of Merit from India International Print Circuit (IIPC)
- 2000, Photographer of the Year, Aalock Group of Photographers, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 2002, Special award from international Asahi Shimbun photo contest, Japan
- 2002, Humanity photo Award, China
- 2002, third place, Press Foundation of Asia, Bangladesh Chapter, photo contest
- 2002, World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass, the Netherlands
- 2004, International Asahi Shimbun photo contest, Japan
- 2004, Young Reporters Award, The Scope Photo Festival in Paris
- 2004, First and second Place in Photojournalism section from Popular Photography magazine annual photo contest, US
- 2004, World congress Photo contest, Oslo
- 2005, 3rd and 4th place, Photographer's forum magazine annual contest, US
- 2005, "Best of Show" award from the Center for Fine Art Photography, Colorado, US
- 2005, 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th place from WHO (World Health Organization) photo contest 2005
- 2005, Silver Medal from China international Press Photo Contest 2005 in their Daily life photo story category.
- 2006, First place (total five prizes) from the Friends of the Earth photo contest, The Netherlands
- 2006, World Press Photo award, The Netherlands
- 2006, Golden Award from Asia Press photo Contest, China
- 2006, First place, Photographer's Forum magazine Annual photo contest, US
- 2006, Finalist of Gordon Parks annual Photo Contest, US
- 2006, Second place from the Gallery Art and Design annual photo contest, US
- 2006, American Graphic Design award, 2006
- 2006, Bronze and Honorable mention Award from China International Press photo contest, China
- 2007, Third place from Days Japan international photography contest, Japan
- 2007, Forth and Honorable mention from Photographer's Forum magazine Annual photo contest, US
- 2007, Golden award from Asia Press Photo Contest, China
- 2007, UNICEF Photos of the Year, 2nd place.
- 2009, Travel Photographer of the Year winner
- 2010, CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year, Quality of Life winner
- 2014, one of ten finalists in Lugano Photo Days contest, Switzerland
- "GMB Akash, Panos Pictures. Accessed 6 April 2015.
- "About me". GMB Akash.
- "Travel Photographer of the Year 2009: winner's gallery". The Guardian. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 6 April 2015.
- Pilkington, Ed (18 August 2010). "Half the Sky: how the trafficking of women today is on a par with genocide". The Guardian.
- "CIWEM Environmental Photographer of the Year 2010 award winners", The Telegraph Accessed 6 April 2015.
- "No kids: GMB Akash exposes the dependence and negligence of Bangladesh's child labor force". The Fader. 1 October 2010 – via HighBeam Research. (subscription required (. ))
- "First Light in Akash's World". The Dhaka Courier. 5 May 2006 – via Infotrac Newsstand. (subscription required (. ))
- "Akash's solo photo exhibition on Friday". United News of Bangladesh. Dhaka. 12 August 2009 – via HighBeam Research. (subscription required (. ))
- "Exhibition: Survivors by GMB Akash". Lugano Photo Days. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013.
- "Year in Culture". The Daily Star. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Photography - Voyage Collection". IMPress (Press release). International Press Association. 15 April 2013.
- "Photojournalism plays key role in enriching newspapers". The Independent. Bangladesh: FDCH e-media. 6 February 2003. Retrieved 16 June 2015 – via HighBeam Research. (subscription required (. ))
- "Photo Gallery: UNICEF Photos of the Year 2007". Spiegel Online. 18 December 2007.
- "Contest 2014 Photo Gallery Finalists". Lugano Photo Days.