GM 4L80-E transmission
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Body and chassis|
|Class||4-speed longitudinal automatic transmission|
The 4L80-E (and similar 4L85-E) was a series of automatic transmissions from General Motors. Designed for longitudinal engine configurations, the series included 4 forward gears. It was an evolution of the Turbo-Hydramatic 400, first produced in October 1963. 4L80-Es were optioned only in Chevrolet/GMC pickups, vans, and commercial vehicles, and the Hummer H1. It was also adopted by Rolls Royce in 1991 and modified after extensive testing, and used initially in the Bentley Continental R, and subsequently other Rolls Royce and Bentley vehicles. The 4L80 and 4L85 were built at Willow Run Transmission in Ypsilanti, Michigan.
The 4L80-E uses 2 shift solenoids, initially called Shift Solenoid A & Shift Solenoid B, later changed to comply with OBD II (On Board Diagnostics revision 2) regulations to 1-2 Shift Solenoid & 2-3 Shift solenoid. By activating and deactivating the solenoids in a predetermined pattern by the PCM, 4 distinct gear ratios can be achieved. The shift solenoid pattern, also sometimes referred to as solenoid firing order, is as follows;
Shift Solenoid Pattern
|1-2 Solenoid||2-3 Solenoid|
No power results in 2nd Gear as 'Limp home mode'.
- 1991–2013 Chevrolet C/K/Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra V8
- 1991–2013 Chevrolet/GMC Suburban/GMC Yukon
- 1995–2003 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon
- 1991–2009 Chevrolet Van/Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana
- 2002–2006 Chevrolet Avalanche V8 8.1L
- 1992-2006 Hummer H1
- 1992–1998 Rolls-Royce Silver Spirit/Spur II, III, IV
- 1991–1992 Bentley Eight
- 1991–1997 Bentley Turbo R
- 1991–2002 Bentley Continental R/S/T
- 1999–2006 Bentley Arnage Red Label / Bentley Arnage R/RL/T
- 1993–1996 Jaguar XJS
- 1994–1997 Jaguar XJR
- 1993–1997 Jaguar XJ12 / Daimler Double Six
- 1996–1999 Aston Martin DB7
- 2000- 2006 Chevrolet HD trucks
The 4L85-E (RPO MN8) is rated to handle vehicles with up to 690 ft·lbf (935 N·m) of torque reference https://www.chevrolet.com/performance/transmissions/supermatic-4l85-e . The 4L85E is rated to handle vehicles with a GVWR of up to 18,000 lbs (dependent on axle ratio and vehicle)
- Chevrolet Avalanche
- Chevrolet Suburban
- GMC Yukon XL
- Chevrolet Express with Duramax Diesel
- GMC Savana with Duramax Diesel
- Rally Fighter
- Adcock, Ian (1992). Bentley Continental R. London: Osprey Publishing. p. 113. ISBN 185532 260 9.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-22. Retrieved December 22, 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- GM Powertrain. "07 Hydramatic 4L series". General Motors. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- GM powertrain. "07 Hydramatic 4L Series Specs". General Motors. Retrieved January 5, 2014.