GNOME Builder 3.32.2 with dark mode
|Original author(s)||Christian Hergert|
|Initial release||March 24, 2015|
|Stable release||3.38.3 (29 January 2021 )|
|Preview release||40.alpha (26 January 2021 )|
|Operating system||Linux, BSDs|
|Type||Integrated development environment|
GNOME Builder is a general purpose integrated development environment (IDE) for the GNOME desktop environment, primarily designed to aid in writing GNOME-based applications. It was initially released on March 24, 2015. The application's tagline is "A toolsmith for GNOME-based applications".
- GNOME Builder has been addressing "GNOME App" developers from its inception, and aims to integrate well with other Gnome desktop development tools.
- Integrated support for GNOME Devhelp.
- The version control system git can be used to highlight code additions and changes.
- Support for developing flatpak applications.
- Syntax highlighting for many programming languages by using GtkSourceView.
- Code completion is available for the C-languages (C, C++, etc.), Python and Rust, with additional languages under development.
- Plugins that can be written in C, Python 3, or Vala.
- Basic support for many programming languages, and will offer additional features for languages that are supported by GObject Introspection.
At GUADEC 2016 Christian Hergert provided a on YouTube of an upcoming version of GNOME Builder. More features will be integrated once GTK Scene Graph Kit will have been merged into GTK. sysprof was forked and its version number bumped from 1.2.0 to 3.20 and was integrated in version 3.22.
GNOME Builder uses GNOME Code Assistance to provide code diagnostics for CSS, HTML, JS, JSON, Python, Ruby, SCSS, shell script and XML. Jedi is used for code completion for Python. Clang is used for code assistance for the C-like languages. Rust diagnostics are provided by using the Language Server Protocol to communicate with the Rust Language Server.
Most of the interface is dedicated to the centrally positioned code editor. The editor automatically recognizes most programming languages and will highlight the text accordingly. When a version control system is used, colored bars next to the line numbers indicate changes to those lines. For supported languages, additional symbols highlight lines that contain errors or poorly formatted code.
Around the code-editor, additional panels can be toggled into view. These include a project-tree, a terminal-window, and a help-browser. The project tree allows the user to perform file and folder operations.
|Version Number||Release Date||Notes|
|3.16.0||24 March 2015||Initial "preview" release|
|3.16.1||13 April 2015||Included improvements to the user interface, file management and syntax highlighting.|
|3.16.2||16 April 2015||Brought mostly bug fixes and some improvements to project management.|
|3.16.3||18 May 2015||Included a source-overview-map for scrolling and updates to the preference-dialogs.|
|3.18.0||23 September 2015||Was released with the rest of GNOME 3.18.|
|3.18.1||15 October 2015||Brought improvements to Vala code completion and error-hinting. The Jedi-plugin for Python code-completion was improved as well.|
|3.20||23 March 2016||Was released with GNOME 3.20.|
|3.20.4||6 May 2016||Included stability and performance improvements, including re-implementation of support for opening remote files.|
|3.22.2||2 November 2016||Introduced preliminary support for Rust and its GTK bindings.|
|3.22.4||22 December 2016||Included various build system improvements and better support for building Flatpak packages|
|3.32.0||3 March 2019||Major refactoring of the application's code. Included improved GDB integration and an initial Glade integration.|
- Catanzaro, Michael (29 January 2021). "GNOME 3.38.3 released!". GNOME Mail Services (Mailing list). Retrieved 30 January 2021.
- Petridis, Jordan (26 January 2021). "GNOME 40.alpha Released". GNOME Mail Services (Mailing list). Retrieved 26 January 2021.
- Hergert, Christian (2014-09-07). "COPYING · master · GNOME/gnome-builder". Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- "Builder: A toolsmith for GNOME-based applications". wiki.gnome.org. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
A tool to help you write and contribute to great GNOME-based applications.
- Hergert, Christian (2015-03-24). "GNOME Builder - 3.16.0". Gnome Mail Services. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
As some of you know, I've just made our initial "preview" release, 3.16.0!
- Lerch, Ryan (2014-08-04). "Builder — a new IDE specifically for GNOME app developers". fedoramagazine.org. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
[…] GNOME Builder — an IDE that will focus purely on GNOME applications, with a goal of making it “Dead Simple”.
- "Are we (I)DE yet?". Retrieved 2018-11-27.
- Hergert, Christian (2016-01-21). "Builder Plugins – Part I". Zen and the Art of GNOME. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
We support writing plugins in a variety of languages. Currently, C, Vala, and Python 3 are all supported in Builder.
- "sysprof in Debian". packages.debian.org. Debian. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- Nestor, Marius (2016-10-17). "GNOME Builder 3.22.1 Adds Support for Sysprof Visualizers, Polishes the UI". Softpedia. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Builder, An IDE of our GNOME". Indiegogo. 2015-01-27. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
I need your support so that I can work on Builder full time. I'm asking for $30,000 to cover my costs […]
- Hergert, Christian (2015-04-13). "Gnome-Builder 3.16.1". gnome-announce-list (Mailing list). Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- Nestor, Marius (2015-04-17). "GNOME Builder IDE Gets a Massive Update in GNOME 3.16.1". Softpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- Hergert, Christian (2015-04-16). "Gnome-Builder 3.16.2". gnome-announce-list (Mailing list). Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- Hergert, Christian. "GNOME Builder - 3.16.2". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Nestor, Marius (2015-04-19). "GNOME Builder 3.16's Second Point Release Brings More Improvements". Softpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- Clasen, Matthias (May 13, 2015). "GNOME 3.16.2 released". gnome-announce-list (Mailing list). Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- Hergert, Christian. "GNOME Builder - 3.16.3". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Nestor, Marius (2015-09-22). "GNOME Builder 3.18 Officially Released Ahead of the GNOME 3.18 Desktop Environment". Softpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- Nestor, Marius (2015-10-16). "First Point Release of GNOME Builder 3.18 Brings Initial Support for Vala, Faster Autocompletion". Softpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- "GNOME 3.20 Released With Various Refinements And Application Updates". WebUpd8. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- Hergert, Christian. "Builder 3.20.4". blogs.gnome.org. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- Nestor, Marius (2016-05-07). "GNOME Builder 3.20.4 IDE Re-Implements Support for Opening Remote Files". Softpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-26.
- Nestor, Marius (2016-11-02). "GNOME Builder 3.22.2 Released with Technology Preview for Rust Support, More". Softpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
3.22.2 also includes a technology preview for Rust support
- Nestor, Marius (2016-12-28). "GNOME Builder 3.24 Promises Big Features, 3.22.4 Improves Flatpak Support". Softpedia. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
That's right, we're talking about GNOME Builder 3.22.4, […]. Notable changes include various build system improvements, better support for building Flatpak packages, […]
- Hergert, Christian (2019-01-17). "Builder 3.32 Sightings". Zen and the Art of GNOME. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
We just landed the largest refactor to Builder since its inception. Somewhere around 100,000 lines of code where touched […]
- Larabel, Michael (2019-01-17). "GNOME's Builder IDE Goes Through Its Biggest Code Refactoring Ever". www.phoronix.com. Retrieved 2020-04-23.
Some of the Builder 3.32 changes as part of this huge code refactoring include: […] Improved debugger integration with GDB. Initial Glade integration.