GNOME Builder 3.16.3 using the light Adwaita theme
|Initial release||March 24, 2015|
|Stable release||3.28.2 (9 May 2018) [±]|
|Preview release||3.27.4 (10 January 2018[±])|
|Operating system||Linux, BSDs|
|Type||Integrated development environment|
- GNOME Builder has been addressing "GNOME App" developers from its inception on, and aims to integrate well with other Gnome desktop development tools.
- It has integrated support for GNOME Devhelp.
- The version control system git can be used by GNOME Builder to highlight code additions and changes.
- There is support for developing flatpak applications.
- GNOME Builder offers syntax highlighting for many programming languages by using GtkSourceView.
- Code completion is available for the C-languages (C, C++, etc.) and Python, with additional languages under development.
- Plugins are supported and can be written in C, Python 3, or Vala.
- GNOME Builder has basic support for many programming languages, and will offer additional features for languages that are supported by GObject Introspection.
At GUADEC2016 Christian Hergert provided a on YouTube of an upcoming version of GNOME Builder. More features will be integrated once GTK+ Scene Graph Kit will have been merged into GTK+. sysprof was forked and its version number bumped from 1.2.0 to 3.20 and was integrated in version 3.22.
Gnome Builder uses Gnome Code Assistance to provide code diagnostics for CSS, HTML, JS, JSON, Python, Ruby, SCSS, Shell script and XML. Jedi is used for code completion for Python. Clang is used for code assistance for the C-like languages. Rust diagnostics are provided by using the Language Server Protocol to communicate with the Rust Language Server.
Most of the interface is dedicated to the centrally positioned code editor. The editor automatically recognizes most programming languages and will highlight the text accordingly. When a version control system is used, colored bars next to the line numbers indicate changes to those lines. For supported languages, additional symbols highlight lines that contain errors or poorly formatted code.
Around the code-editor, additional panels can be toggled into view. These include a project-tree, a terminal-window, and a help-browser. The project tree allows the user to perform file and folder operations.
The development of GNOME Builder was crowdfunded in January 2015. The campaign reached 169% of its funding goal (55360 USD).
- 3.16.0: Initial release on 24 March 2015.
- 3.16.1: This version was released on 13 April 2015 and included many improvements to the user interface, file management and syntax highlighting.
- 3.16.2: Was released on 16 April 2015 and brought mostly bug fixes and some improvements to project management.
- 3.16.3: Released on 18 May 2015 this update included a source-overview-map for scrolling and updates to the preference-dialogs.
- 3.18.0: Was released with the rest of GNOME 3.18 on 23 September 2015.
- 3.18.1 was released on 15 October 2015 and brought many improvements to Vala code completion and error-hinting. The Jedi-plugin for Python code-completion was improved as well.
- 3.20 was released on 23 March 2016.
- 3.20.4 was released on 6 May 2016.
- 3.22: This version introduced preliminary support for Rust and its Gtk bindings.
- 3.22.4: Updates to the build system and the Flatpak integration.
- "GNOME 3.28 Released". GNOME Foundation. 14 March 2018. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Hergert, Christian. "GNOME Builder - 3.16.0". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "GNOME Builder addresses GNOME app developers".
- "Builder Plugins – Part I". Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "sysprof in Debian".
- Nestor, Marius. "GNOME Builder 3.22.1 Adds Support for Sysprof Visualizers, Polishes the UI". softpedia. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- "Builder, An IDE of our GNOME". Indiegogo. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Gnome-Builder 3.16.1". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "GNOME Builder IDE Gets a Massive Update in GNOME 3.16.1". Softpedia. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Hergert, Christian. "Gnome-Builder 3.16.2". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Hergert, Christian Hergert. "GNOME Builder - 3.16.2". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "GNOME Builder 3.16's Second Point Release Brings More Improvements". Softpedia. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Clasen, Matthias (May 13, 2015). "GNOME 3.16.2 released". gnome-announce-list (Mailing list). Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- Hergert, Christian. "GNOME Builder - 3.16.3". Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Nestor, Marius. "GNOME Builder 3.18 Officially Released Ahead of the GNOME 3.18 Desktop Environment". Softpedia. Softpedia. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Nestor, Marius. "First Point Release of GNOME Builder 3.18 Brings Initial Support for Vala, Faster Autocompletion". Softpedia. Retrieved 16 October 2015.
- "GNOME 3.20 Released With Various Refinements And Application Updates". WebUpd8. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- Hergert, Christian. "Builder 3.20.4". blogs.gnome.org. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
- Nestor, Marius. "GNOME Builder 3.20.4 IDE Re-Implements Support for Opening Remote Files". softpedia.
- Nestor, Marius. "GNOME Builder 3.22.2 Released with Technology Preview for Rust Support, More". softpedia. Retrieved 2016-11-20.
- Nestor, Marius. "GNOME Builder 3.24 Promises Big Features, 3.22.4 Improves Flatpak Support". softpedia. Retrieved 2017-01-02.