|Developer(s)||The GNOME Project (William Jon McCann, Brian Cameron, Ray Strode)|
43.0 / 20 September 2022
41.alpha / 28 July 2021
|Operating system||Unix and Unix-like (Linux, BSD, Solaris)|
|Type||Login manager for Wayland, X display manager|
The X Window System by default uses the XDM display manager. However, resolving XDM configuration issues typically involves editing a configuration file. GDM allows users to customize or troubleshoot settings without having to resort to a command line. Users can pick their session type on a per-login basis. GDM 2.38.0 is the last version that features customization with themes; subsequent releases do not support themes.
GDM is a display manager that implements all significant features required for managing attached and remote displays. GDM was written from scratch and does not contain any XDM or X Consortium code.
GDM comprises the following components:
- Chooser – a program used to select a remote host for managing a display remotely on the attached display (gdm-host-chooser)
- Greeter – the graphical login window (provided by GNOME Shell)
- Pluggable authentication module (PAM)
- X Display Manager Control Protocol (XDMCP)
- Dancing login – type "Start Dancing" to start, and "Stop Dancing" to stop.
- (This requires the standard greeter ("GTK+ Greeter"), rather than the graphical one ("Themed Greeter")).
- "Gimme Random Cursor" – can be used repeatedly.
- This changes the mouse cursor to a randomly selected 1 of 77 different "cursor fonts" as defined in the X11 specification.
- "Require Quarter" (or "Require Quater", for backward compatibility with a typo in the original), then log in normally – a dialog box that reads "Please insert 25 cents to log in." appears after entering the password. Clicking "OK" allows the login process to proceed as normal.
Queen of England
Some of the copyright notices of GDM refer to the "Queen of England", whom release announcements from version 2.2.1 also named as a maintainer. Subsequently, developers realised that the title "Queen of England" has not existed since the Acts of Union of 1707.
- getty – a non-graphical login program
- SDDM (KDE Plasma 5)
- KDE Display Manager (KDE Plasma 4)
- "41.alpha". 28 July 2021.
- "GDM documentation".
- "migrate gui to new config framework with a chainsaw". 1 June 2007. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "gdm – guilogin.c". Archived from the original on 31 May 2018. Retrieved 9 August 2018.
- "GDM commit ee8de912". 5 March 2001. Retrieved 26 August 2009.
- "ANNOUNCE: GDM 2.2.1, the 'Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you' release". 4 May 2001.
Gdm2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>, and is now maintained by the Queen of England.
- "ANNOUNCE: GDM 126.96.36.199 (unstable), the "Nose poking" release". 4 March 2004.