This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (April 2017)
|Developer(s)||GOM & Company (Previously Gretech)|
|Initial release||January 7, 2003|
22.214.171.12422 (October 20, 2020)
1.5.1 (February 26, 2020)
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, macOS, Android, iOS|
|Available in||Korean, English, Japanese, Spanish, Turkish, Russian, Portuguese, Thai, German, French, Italian, Czech, Chinese (Traditional and Simplified)|
GOM Player is a media player for Windows, developed by GOM & Company. With more than 100 million downloads, it is also known as the most used player in South Korea. Its main features include the ability to play some broken media files and find missing codecs using a codec finder service.
The word gom (곰) means "bear" in Korean, and as such the icon of GOM Player looks like a bear's paw.
GOM Player has a free version and a paid version. The paid version name is GOM Player Plus, and it allows video playback without advertisements and includes convenient features such as simple configuration.
- GOM Player has several embedded video and audio codecs, so it can play immediately without installing any external codecs. If there is no codec, it can be found with a codec search feature.
- The basic embedded codec has the advantage of making it easier for computer beginners who lack knowledge of codecs to play videos.
- Video files that are incomplete, damaged, or not completely downloaded can also be played.
- If the file name of a video file and subtitles are the same, subtitles are automatically displayed when the video is running.
- If there is no subtitle file, subtitles can be found in the subtitles archive supported by GOM Player.
- GOM Player started supporting 360 video (360VR) for the first time as a domestic video player in December 2015, and also has supported 360 video on GOM Player mobile app since June 2016.
- 360 degree videos and trending videos on YouTube can be played through the right panel called Miniweb.
- In 2019, the preferences of GOM player were newly reorganized.
- In 2020, a new version of GOM player macOS was released.
- GOM player is available on mobile (Android/iOS).
- In 2020, the company released a new GOM Player app optimized for iPhones.
GOM Player can play following multimedia formats
- Video Formats: [Windows]avi, .ogm, .mkv, .mp4, .k3g, .ifo, .ts, .asf, .wmv, .wma, .mov, .mpg, .m1v, .m2v, .vob, .m4v, .3gp/3gp2, .rmvb, .rm, .ogg, .flv, .asx(영상), .dat + When an external codec is used, other video formats can also be used. - [Mac].mkv, .mp4, .avi, .m4v, .mov, .3gp, .ts, .mts, .m2ts, .wmv, .flv, .f4v, .asf, .webm, .rm, .rmvb, .qt, .dv, .mpg, .mpeg, .mxf, .vob, .gif
- Audio Formats: [Windows].mp3, .m4a, .aac, .ogg, .flac, .wav, .wma, .rma , .alac + When an external codec is used, other audio formats can also be used. - [Mac].mp3, .aac, .mka, .flac, .ogg, .oga, .mogg, .m4a, .opus, .wav, .wv, .aiff, .ape, .tta, .tak
- Subtitle Formats: [Windows]smi, srt, rt, sub(& IDX), vtt (text sub), dvb, ass, psb, txt, sbv, vobsub (embedded sub) - [Mac]utf, utf8, utf-8, idx, sub, srt, smi, rt, ssa, aqt, jss, js, ass, mks, vtt, sup, scc
- Playist Formats - [Windows].asx, .pls - [Mac]json (self-formatting)
- "Windows Desktop". web site. 2019-04-16. Retrieved 2019-04-16.
- "Apple on the App Store". iTunes Store. 2019-03-05. Retrieved 2019-03-05.
- "GOM Player". Google Play Store. 2019-03-14. Retrieved 2019-03-14.
- "Specifications". GOMlab. GOM&Company. Archived from the original on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 20 December 2013.