|Public limited company|
|Traded as||MSE: GO|
|Yiannos Michaelides, CEO|
|Products||Telephone, DSL, DTT, Mobile|
GO p.l.c. is a Maltese integrated telecommunications company. It is a quadruple play provider that offers local and long distance telephone services, wireless services, digital terrestrial television, and DSL Internet access. GO is based in Marsa, Malta.
Undersea telegraph cable from Malta was first laid to Sicily in 1857 and to Egypt in 1868 by various operations which came to be consolidated in 1928 into one company which was renamed Cable & Wireless in 1934. The Telemalta Corporation Act of 1974 created Telemalta which was given monopoly rights as both the operator and regulator of all telecommunications services. Maltacom was created in 1997 as a public limited company and assumed the assets of Telemalta. The Government retained a 60% stake in Maltacom and sold 40% to the general public by 1998.
In 1999, a second mobile communications licence was issued to Mobisle Communications Limited, a subsidiary of Maltacom p.l.c. on condition that the parent company divest itself of its 20% share holding in Vodafone Malta within six months of Mobisle's launch. In late 2000, Mobisle launched a GSM network branded as GO Mobile. In May 2006 the Maltese government sold its 60% stake in Maltacom to the Dubai Holding subsidy TECOM Investments.
In February 2007, Maltacom Group acquired Multiplus and became the sole shareholder of the company. With the acquisition of Multiplus, Maltacom Group became Malta’s only quadruple-play telecoms organisation in Malta.
GO provides voice, mobile, TV and broadband grouped as GO Business, GO Mobile and GO Plus. GO Business is aimed at the corporate market and includes fixed line, broadband and digital TV as well as in hosting and co-location services. GO Mobile handles both business and personal mobile services while GO Plus is all about the home with fixed line, broadband and digital TV.
- GO: CEO and Top Management
- "History of the Atlantic Cable & Submarine Telegraphy - Cable & Wireless". atlantic-cable.com.
- Malta Communications Authority: History of Telecommunications in Malta
- Maltacom stock profile
- AME Info: TECOM Investments and Dubai Investment Group acquire Maltacom
- "Multiplus | Main Page". 2007-05-17. Archived from the original on 2007-05-17. Retrieved 2016-08-16.
- Press release: Maltacom Group rebrands as GO
- "Financing market "Go Malta" not taken from state public finances (Noonan Fehri)". TAP. Retrieved 2016-07-27.