|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This page describes the student-run television station of The George Washington University. See also: Great West Television
|Branding||GW-TV, GW Television|
|Slogan||Turn Us On!|
|Channels||Digital: 61 (CCTV Cable)|
|Affiliations||George Washington University's School of Media and Public Affairs (SMPA)|
|Owner||George Washington University|
|Call letters' meaning||George Washington TeleVision|
The station transmits on a closed-circuit channel throughout GWU facilities and residence halls. Previously broadcast on channel 6, GW-TV can now be found on RCN cable channel 61. The station also posts its content online.
Many of the station's programs are recorded in the GW Media and Public Affairs building's television studio.
GW-TV provides students with the opportunity to shoot, write, and edit their own packages. Students also have the chance to produce their own shows, work behind the scenes in the control room, and appear on camera.
GW-TV produces a variety of original programming, with topics ranging from campus events to national news and entertainment to politics. The channel is also home to The Source, a news show produced by GW students in SMPA classes (SMPA 2137 and SMPA 2139).
Original GW-TV programs aired during the 2013-2014 academic year include:
- Colonial Crossfire - GW-TV's version of Sunday talk, Colonial Crossfire covers the national and international political beat. Each episode includes an interview with a journalist or newsmaker and also a student panel debating the latest politics.
- GWeek - A newsmagazine style show, GWeek covers the campus and Washington, D.C. news.
- Unstoppable - GW-TV's sports program, each episode of Unstoppable begins with a rundown of the latest sports headlines. A student panel then discusses the latest in GW and D.C. sports.
- F.E.M. (Fashion. Entertainment. Music.) - GW-TV's newest show, each episode features in-studio music performances, discussions about fashion and entertainment news, and interviews with local D.C. celebrities.
- Gender Neutral - An original sitcom, Gender Neutral tells the story of a boy and a girl accidentally assigned to gender neutral student housing at GW.
Previous programming includes: Select Seven, Backstage GW, Interns, Upfront, The Making of Rocky Horror, InFocus, MelindAerobics, Wanna Come Over?, and GW-TV's flagship show, GWeekly.
In 2013, GW-TV's original sitcom, Gender Neutral, received an Emmy Award for Writing in a Student Production. The Emmy was awarded by the National Capital and Chesapeake Bay chapter of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
|This article about a television station in Washington, D.C. is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|