G Line (RTD)
Gold Line covered in snow near the Ward Road station.
|System||Regional Transportation District|
|Locale||Denver Metropolitan Area|
|Owner||Regional Transportation District|
|Operator(s)||Denver Transit Partners|
|Line length||11.2 miles (18.0 km)|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
The G Line, also known as the Gold Line during construction, is a Regional Transportation District (RTD) electric commuter rail line between Denver Union Station and Wheat Ridge, Colorado. Long scheduled to open in October 2016, the opening was delayed until an unspecified date.
The Gold Line is part of the RTD’s FasTracks expansion plan, and will be operated by Denver Transit Partners as part of the Eagle P3 public–private partnership. The line received a Record of Decision approval from the Federal Transit Administration in November 2009 allowing the line to be developed. Groundbreaking for the line occurred on 31 August 2011, at a ceremony in Olde Town Arvada where US Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced the approval of a $1 billion grant to fund the project.
The line will be 11.2 miles (18.0 km) in length, and is expected to cost $590.5 million. There will be a total of eight stations: Union Station, 41st Avenue, Pecos, Federal, Sheridan, Olde Town, Arvada Ridge and Ward Road.
The G Line's southern terminus is at Union Station in Denver. It runs on a railroad right-of-way north sharing track with the B Line until the Pecos Station after which the two routes diverge. The G Line continues west to its terminus in Wheat Ridge.
|Name||Opening Year||Interchange||Municipality / CDP||park-n-Ride?||Status|
|G Line (Union Station – Wheat Ridge / Ward)|
Lower Downtown (LoDo)/
Coors Field/16th Street Mall
, , & Lines
FREE MallRide (16th St)
|41st & Fox||2017||Line||Denver||Yes||Under Construction|
|Pecos Junction||2017||Line||North Washington||Yes||Under Construction|
|Clear Creek / Federal||2017||None||Berkley||Yes||Under Construction|
|60th & Sheridan / Arvada Gold Strike||2017||None||Arvada||Yes||Under Construction|
|Olde Town Arvada||2017||None||Arvada||Yes||Under Construction|
|Arvada Ridge||2017||None||Arvada||Yes||Under Construction|
|Wheat Ridge / Ward||2017||None||Wheat Ridge||Yes||Under Construction|
- "RTD - G Line". Regional Transportation District. Retrieved 22 June 2015.
- Paul, Jesse (18 November 2016). "RTD will not open G-Line or R-Line before end of year as planned". The Denver Post. Retrieved 20 November 2016.
- "Eagle P3 Commuter Rail Project, Denver, USA". Railway Technology. Archived from the original on 12 September 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2011.
- "Fastracks Gold Line To Wheat Ridge Approved". The Denver Channel. 3 November 2009. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- "USDOT provides $1 billion for Denver RTD's Eagle P3 commuter-rail project". Progressive Railroading. 1 September 2011. Archived from the original on 12 September 2011. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Stories Along the Line: Gold Line carries a rich name". Regional Transportation District. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "RTD - Northwest Rail Line - Project Map". Regional Transportation District. Retrieved February 11, 2015.