|Directed by||R. Pattabhiraman|
|Screenplay by||Panchu Arunachalam|
|Edited by||B. Kanthasamy|
Vijaya Meena Films
Gaayathri is a 1977 Indian Tamil-language film directed by R. Pattabhiraman and written by Panchu Arunachalam. It stars Jaishankar, Rajinikanth and Sridevi. The film was based on the novel of the same name by Sujatha. It was released on 7 October 1977.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (June 2021)
Rajarathnam is a rich man who lives with his sister Sarasu and a young house maid in Madras. Her sister arranges a marriage for him with Gaayathri, a 16-year old who lives in Tiruchirappalli. Soon after they marry, Gaayathri moves to Rajarathnam's house and gets shocked to find that things are not what they actually seem, but there is something fishy with the family. Rajarathnam is a blue-film producer who records the bedroom scenes of himself with his wife, without her knowledge and sells it on the black market. Gaayathri initially believes Rajarathnam, but later discovers that he was already married to a woman who has become mad now. Ganesh, a friend of the writer Chellappa, comes to know about this and tries to free Gaayathri from the hands of Rajarathnam. But, unfortunately Gaayathri dies in the end.
- Jaishankar as Ganesh
- Rajinikanth as Rajarathnam
- Sridevi as Gayathri
- Rajasulochana as Sarasu
- M. N. Rajam as Gayathri's mother
- Rajee as Indra
- Rajeshwari as Lalitha
- S. A. Ashokan as Shama Iyer
- Venniradai Moorthy as Chellappa
- Delhi Kumar as Gayathri's father
|1.||"Kaalai Paniyil Aadum"||Sujatha Mohan||4:00|
|2.||"Vaazhve Mayama"||B. S. Sasirekha||3:57|
|3.||"Aattam Kondattam"||P. Susheela||4:06|
|4.||"Unnai Thaan"||A. L. Raghavan, S. Janaki||3:40|
- Ramachandran 2014, p. 71.
- Ramachandran 2014, p. 70.
- ராம்ஜி, வி. (7 October 2020). "சுஜாதாவின் நாவல்; வில்லன் ரஜினி; பரிதாப ஸ்ரீதேவி; காப்பாற்றும் ஜெய்சங்கர்; பஞ்சு அருணாசலத்தின் 'காயத்ரி' - உயிரை உருக்கும் 'வாழ்வே மாயமா' பாடல்". Hindu Tamil Thisai (in Tamil). Archived from the original on 22 November 2020. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- "Rajnikath, the villain". Rediff.com. 21 May 2007. Archived from the original on 4 June 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- "Kavithaikuyil-Gayathri-Kaatrinile Varum Geetham Tamil Film Audio Cassette". Mossymart. Archived from the original on 4 June 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- "Ten Interesting Facts About Sujatha Mohan, Judge Of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Keralam". ZEE5. 8 November 2019. Archived from the original on 1 May 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- Ramachandran, Naman (2014) . Rajinikanth: The Definitive Biography. New Delhi: Penguin Books. ISBN 978-81-8475-796-5.