Gayathri (1977 film)
|Directed by||R. Pattabhiraman|
|Screenplay by||Panchu Arunachalam|
|Edited by||B. Kanthasamy|
Vijaya Meena Films
Gayathri is a 1977 Indian Tamil-language film directed by R. Pattabhiraman and written by Panchu Arunachalam. It stars Jaishankar, Rajinikanth and Sridevi. The film was based on the novel of the same name by Sujatha. It was released on 7 October 1977.
This article needs an improved plot summary. (November 2022)
Rajarathnam is a rich man who lives with his sister Sarasu and a young house maid in Madras.
His sister arranges a marriage for him with Gayathri, a sixteen-year old who lives in Tiruchirappalli. Soon after they marry, Gayathri moves to Rajarathnam's house and realises that the family has dark secrets.
Rajarathnam is actually a blue-film producer who records pornographic movies - he secretly records himself and his new wife in their bedroom scenes without her knowledge, and sells the movies on the black market. Gayathri initially gives Rajarathnam the benefit of the doubt, but later discovers that Rajarathnam is already married to another woman, who is now insane.
Ganesh, a friend of the writer Chellappa, tries to free Gayathri from the hands of Rajarathnam, without avail.
- Jaishankar as Ganesh
- Rajinikanth as Rajarathnam
- Sridevi as Gaayathri
- Rajasulochana as Sarasu
- M. N. Rajam as Gaayathri's mother
- Rajee as Indra
- Rajeshwari as Lalitha
- S. A. Ashokan as Shama Iyer
- Vennira Aadai Moorthy as Chellappa
- Delhi Kumar as Gaayathri's father
Gaayathri is based on Sujatha's novel of the same name, and was conceived during the Emergency. The screenplay was written by Panchu Arunachalam.
The soundtrack was composed by Ilaiyaraaja, with lyrics by Panchu Arunachalam. Sujatha Mohan made her debut as a playback singer through this film.
|1.||"Kaalai Paniyil Aadum"||Sujatha Mohan||4:00|
|2.||"Vaazhve Mayama"||B. S. Sasirekha||3:57|
|3.||"Aattam Kondattam"||P. Susheela||4:06|
|4.||"Unnai Thaan"||A. L. Raghavan, S. Janaki||3:40|
- ^ a b c d Ramachandran 2014, p. 71.
- ^ a b c Ramachandran 2014, p. 70.
- ^ a b c ராம்ஜி, வி. (7 October 2020). "சுஜாதாவின் நாவல்; வில்லன் ரஜினி; பரிதாப ஸ்ரீதேவி; காப்பாற்றும் ஜெய்சங்கர்; பஞ்சு அருணாசலத்தின் 'காயத்ரி' - உயிரை உருக்கும் 'வாழ்வே மாயமா' பாடல்". Hindu Tamil Thisai (in Tamil). Archived from the original on 22 November 2020. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- ^ "Rajnikath, the villain". Rediff.com. 21 May 2007. Archived from the original on 4 June 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- ^ "Kavithaikuyil-Gayathri-Kaatrinile Varum Geetham Tamil Film Audio Cassette". Mossymart. Archived from the original on 4 June 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- ^ "Ten Interesting Facts About Sujatha Mohan, Judge Of Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Keralam". ZEE5. 8 November 2019. Archived from the original on 1 May 2021. Retrieved 4 June 2021.
- Ramachandran, Naman (2014) . Rajinikanth: The Definitive Biography. New Delhi: Penguin Books. ISBN 978-81-8475-796-5.