Freeman with the Riptide in 2017
|No. 25 – Halifax Hurricanes|
|Born||November 5, 1985|
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school||McClintock (Tempe, Arizona)|
|College||Mesa CC (2006–2007)|
|NBA draft||2007 / Undrafted|
|2009||San Miguel Beermen|
|2009–2010||Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry|
|2010||San Miguel Beermen|
|2011||Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry|
|2012||Barako Bull Energy|
|2012||Petron Blaze Boosters|
|2013||Petron Blaze Boosters|
|2013||London Lightning (Canada)|
|2015–2016||Saint John Mill Rats|
|2016–2017||Saint John Riptide|
|Career highlights and awards|
Gabriel DeAndre Freeman (born November 5, 1985) is an American professional basketball player for the Halifax Hurricanes of the National Basketball League of Canada (NBL). He previously played for the Rochester Razorsharks of the Premier Basketball League (PBL) in the United States. Freeman also has experience with the London Lightning in the NBL Canada and steered them to a 2012 Finals victory. He won the ASEAN Basketball League championship with the Philippine Patriots in 2009 and led the San Miguel Beermen to a 2009 PBA Fiesta Conference title earlier that year. On August 14, 2018, Freeman was traded to the St. John's Edge in exchange for Alex "Superman" Johnson, a 2018 First Round Draft Pick, and Future Considerations.
Early life and college
Born in Phoenix, Freeman graduated from McClintock High School of Tempe, Arizona in 2004. He attended Southern Utah University but never played a game for the Thunderbirds basketball team. At Mesa Community College, Freeman was a first-team All-ACCAC selection in the 2006–07 season and averaged 16.8 points and 8.9 rebounds.
For part of the 2008–09 season, Freeman played for the Albany Patroons in the CBA. Albany made the CBA Finals but lost to the Lawton-Fort Sill Cavalry. In 15 games with the Patroons, he averaged 14.3 points per game and 9.7 rebounds per game. He wore jersey number 34.
He was chosen by the San Miguel Beermen as an import in the middle of the 2008–09 season. He played 24 games and averaged 22.3 points, 15.5 rebounds, and 1.3 assists. Freeman was awarded the Best Import of the conference. In the following season, Freeman played 29 games for San Miguel and averaged 21.6 points, 17.3 rebounds, and 1.5 assists.
He did not fail his team and with a hard-fought battle between Ginebra and their fans, he led the San Miguel franchise to its 18th championship, which was also his career first. PBA fans credited his heart and hard work as a big factor in their victory.
Freeman re-signed with the Philippine Patriots in December 2010. In the first game of the ASEAN semifinals on January 22, 2011, Freeman scored 36 points and made 11 rebounds and 5 assists in an 88-83 victory over the KL Dragons.
On October 21, 2011, it was announced that Freeman had made the final 12-man roster for the National Basketball League of Canada's London Lightning. He wore jersey number 25. Finding immediate success with the Lightning, Freeman was named the first ever NBL Canada Player of the Week for the week ending November 6, an award he would win again for the weeks ending January 1 and March 4, 2012. The Lightning would go on to finish the regular season at 28-8 and gain home-court advantage throughout the playoffs.
On March 14, 2012, Freeman was named the NBL Canada's inaugural Rogers Communications Most Valuable Player. More importantly, however, on March 25 he led the Lightning to a 116-92 victory over the Halifax Rainmen in a deciding Game Five of the NBL Canada Finals to win the NBL Canada's inaugural championship. In addition to his regular-season MVP award, Freeman was named the Finals' MVP.
Freeman returned to the Philippine Patriots on September 18, 2012. In January 2013, Freeman again signed with the San Miguel Beermen. On February 26, 2013, the ASEAN league suspended Freeman for a game and issued him a fine for unsportsmanlike conduct. Freeman later suffered an injury and was replaced by Justin Williams.
In 2014, a recovered Freeman played with the Rochester Razorsharks in the Premier Basketball League (PBL). He led his team to a PBL title and was named league and playoff most valuable player, with per-game averages of 19 points and 11 rebounds.
On November 19, 2015, Freeman signed with the Saint John Mill Rats of the National Basketball League of Canada (NBL). He joined the team with returning player and former Most Valuable Player in Anthony Anderson.
On August 28, 2018, Freeman signed with the St. John's Edge of the National Basketball League of Canada (NBL).
Freeman has established a foundation in London, Ontario for kids without means to play basketball. He is a mechanic and worked out of a motorcycle shop in Phoenix.
- "Initial roster of the London Lightning". London Free Press. November 3, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Gabe Freeman profile". scout.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Gabriel Freeman" (PDF). NBA Development League. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Dyer, Mike (February 8, 2009). "Patroons keep title hopes, and gabe freeman vs richard howell, and results, richard howell wins in the fight. alive". Troy Record. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Albany Patroons Statistics thru 02/03/09". Howes Sports Data. February 3, 2009. Archived from the original on April 13, 2009.
- HELTERBRAND FIESTA BPC ANEW, FREEMAN BEST IMPORT
- "Patriots tap services of ex-PBA best import". GMA News. January 15, 2010. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Patriots look to draw 1st blood in semis duel with Dragons". GMA News. January 30, 2010. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Freeman tows Beermen to record 18th PBA crown, GMANews.tv
- "Crocs call up a heavy hitter Gabe Freeman". Townsville Bulletin. July 13, 2010. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Freeman back for Philippine Patriots". GMA News. December 10, 2010.
- "Gabe Freeman Leads Philippine Patriots Past KL Dragons". Asia-basket.com. January 23, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "London Lightning Official Roster Announced". LightningBasketball.ca. London Lightning. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- "Gabe Freeman Named NBL Player of the Week". LightningBasketball.ca. London Lightning. Retrieved 2011-11-06.
- "NBL Canada Player Of The Week". National Basketball League of Canada. Archived from the original on March 26, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- "London Lightning Named First NBL Canada Champions". National Basketball League of Canada. March 25, 2012. Archived from the original on January 31, 2013. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- Belen, Reynaldo (April 3, 2012). "Gabe Freeman to the rescue: Barako Bull taps former SMB import". InterAKTV. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "San Miguel Beermen Acquired Brian Williams And Gabe Freeman". ASEAN Basketball League. September 18, 2012.
- Jiminez, Bryan (January 10, 2013). "ABL: Examining the 2013 San Miguel Beermen line-up". GMA News. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "ABL: San Miguel Beermen Gabe Freeman and Mike Burtscher sanctioned by the league". GMA News. February 26, 2013. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Terrado, Reuben (February 26, 2013). "SMB's Freeman hit with ban for role in fracas". SPIN.ph. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Galvez, Weylon (March 14, 2013). "Petron In Frantic Search Of Import". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved March 24, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- Ignacio, Aris (March 11, 2013). "Justin Williams joins Beermen's lineup". asia-basket.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Mill Rats Unveil New Logo and Sign Two NBL Canada MVP's". NBL Canada. Saint John Mill Rats Media. Missing or empty