|First appearance||Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 (May 1963)|
|Created by||Stan Lee (writer)|
Jack Kirby (artist)
|Alter ego||Gabriel Jones|
|Team affiliations||Howling Commandos|
Gabriel "Gabe" Jones is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer-editor Stan Lee and artist and co-plotter Jack Kirby, he made his first appearance in World War II war comics series Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 (May 1963). Derek Luke portrays Gabriel Jones in the Marvel Cinematic Universe film Captain America: The First Avenger.
Gabe Jones appeared as a regular cast-member in virtually every issue and annual of Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. In present-day stories, initially in the feature "Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." in Strange Tales, he appears as an agent of that fictional espionage organization — inexplicably aged very little, like fellow World War II vet and agent Dum Dum Dugan, despite a retcon explanation for agency head Nick Fury's youthfulness. As a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, Jones has appeared in issues of The Avengers, Iron Man, Captain America, The Incredible Hulk, Godzilla, the first two volumes of Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., and the 1988 miniseries Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D.
Although colorist Stan Goldberg knew that Jones was African American, the company that made the engraving plates for Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos #1 thought a mistake had been made and colored him the same color as the rest of the Howling Commandos.
Fictional character biography
Gabriel "Gabe" Jones was born in New York City. He is an original member of the fictional, elite Howling Commandos combat squad of World War II. The squad's senior officer, Samuel "Happy Sam" Sawyer, was given virtual carte blanche in choosing its members, including the African-American Jones, despite the fact that, at the time, integrated units were unheard of. (The U.S. Armed Forces, in real life, were not integrated until 1948, by executive order of President Harry S Truman.) He is one of the close confidantes of Nick Fury, his sergeant. He also served under Fury in reunion missions during the Korean War and the Vietnam War.
During the war the Howling Commandos travel to Wakanda to combat a Nazi invasion of that land. Jones helps out the ruling family by directly killing a Nazi agent who had taken one of the babies hostage.
In 1959, he is shown working with Dugan and Fury, hunting down and executing Nazis. Later in the same year, Gabe assisted Nicholas Fury and Dugan in creating the first team of Avengers. They successfully stopped a Nazi splinter group from gaining a version of the Super-Soldier formula. This team includes, but is not limited to, Sabretooth, Kraven the Hunter and Ulysses Bloodstone.
Jones retired from S.H.I.E.L.D. after the events of the Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. six-issue miniseries (1988), but returned to help train a new corps of recruits. This new class is slain by the terrorist organization HYDRA, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s primary nemesis.
Gabe spends time trying to bring down the evil Secret Empire from within. Following the events of Secret Invasion both he and Dum Dum Dugan quit S.H.I.E.L.D. and recreate the Howling Commandos with ex-S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.
Jones and fellow Commando Eric Koenig are later killed by Gorgon during a battle with HYDRA, while both were fighting a holding action against enemy forces in order to give time for allies to retreat.
In other media
- Gabe Jones appeared in The Incredible Hulk 1996 animated series, voiced by Thom Barry. He is portrayed as a ruthless S.H.I.E.L.D. agent working with General Thunderbolt Ross's "Hulkbusters" team in order to hunt the Hulk.
- Gabriel Jones appeared in the 1998 live-action TV movie Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., portrayed by Ron Canada. This version is S.H.I.E.L.D.'s top scientist.
- Gabe Jones appears in The Super Hero Squad Show. In the episode "Wrath of the Red Skull", he is in a flashback alongside Dum Dum Dugan and Izzy Cohen.
- Gabe Jones appears in The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. In the episode "Meet Captain America", he is seen as a member of the Howling Commandos.
- Derek Luke portrays Gabriel Jones in the 2011 film Captain America: The First Avenger. He's an alumnus of Howard University where he first studied German but switched to French because the girls taking those classes were cuter. Along with other members of the Howling Commandos, he accompanies Steve Rogers on raids against Hydra bases during the film's version of World War II.
- Gabe Jones has a cameo appearance in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.
- Maslon, Laurance; Michael Kantor (2013). Superheroes!: Capes, Cowls, and the Creation of Comic Book Culture. Random House. ISBN 9780385348591.
- Lee, Stan; Roy Thomas (2006). Stan Lee's Amazing Marvel Universe. New York, New York: Sterling Publishing. p. 54. ISBN 978-1-4027-4225-5.
- Black Panther/Captain America: Flags of Our Fathers Vol 1 #3 (2010)
- New Avengers vol. 2 #9 (February. 2011)
- New Avengers (vol. 2) #10, May 2011
- Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol.2 #7
- Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Vol.2 #25
- DeFalco, Tom (2006). The Marvel Encyclopedia. Dorling Kindersley. p. 151. ISBN 978-0-7566-2358-6.
- Secret Warriors #4
- Hulk vol. 2, #4 (June 2008)
- Secret Warriors #19 (August 2010)
- Earth X #8
- Morales, Wilson (2011-03-10). "Derek Luke's Role in Captain America". blackfilm.com. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- Gabriel 'Gabe' Jones at the Comic Book DB