Gabor T. Herman is a pioneer in the field of computed tomography, an important medical diagnostic procedure. He is also author of books on digital geometry and digital topology, 3D rendering (computer graphics) in medicine and discrete tomography. He has written well over 100 research articles, including several classic works in their fields. He is recognized internationally for his major contributions to image processing (see, e.g., Algebraic reconstruction technique) and its applications in various fields of science, medicine and engineering.
Herman earned his Ph.D. from the University of London in Mathematics in 1968. He was the leader of successful image processing groups at University at Buffalo and at the University of Pennsylvania. He was Hewlett Packard Visiting Research Professor at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute at the University of California-Berkeley and is since 2002 at the CUNY Graduate Center. His research has been continuously funded by the National Institutes of Health since the mid seventies.
His books include 3D Imaging in Medicine (CRC, 1991 and 2000), Geometry of Digital Spaces (Birkhauser, 1998), Discrete Tomography: Foundations, Algorithms and Applications (Birkhauser, 1999), Advances in Discrete Tomography and Its Applications (Birkhauser, 2007), and Fundamentals of Computerized Tomography: Image Reconstruction from Projections (Springer, 2009). During 1992-4 he was the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging.
In recognition of his scientific work, Gabor T. Herman has honorary doctorates from Linkoping University (Sweden), Jozsef Attila University, Szeged (Hungary) and University of Haifa (Israel).
Gabor T. Hermann is married to artist Marilyn Kirsch
- Deuflhard, P.; Dössel, O.; Louis, A. K.; Zachow, S. (5 March 2009). "More Mathematics into Medicine!" (PDF). Zuse Institute Berlin. p. 2.
- Herman, G. T. (2009). Fundamentals of computerized tomography: Image reconstruction from projection (2nd ed.). Springer. ISBN 1-85233-617-X. line feed character in
|title=at position 62 (help)
- Herman, G. T. (1998). Geometry of Digital Spaces. Boston: Birkhäuser. ISBN 0-8176-3897-0.
- Udupa, J. K.; Herman, G. T. (2000). 3D Imaging in Medicine (2nd ed.). CRC Press. ISBN 0-8493-3179-X.
- Herman, G. T.; Kuba, A. (1999). Discrete Tomography: Foundations, Algorithms, and Applications. Boston: Birkhäuser. ISBN 0-8176-4101-7.
- Herman, G. T.; Kuba, A. (2007). Advances in Discrete Tomography and Its Applications. Boston: Birkhäuser. ISBN 0-8176-3614-5.
- "Gabor T. Herman appointed to the Graduate Center".
- Natterer, F.; Hermann, G.T. (1981). Mathematical Aspects of Computerized Tomography. Proceedings, Oberwolfach 1980. Lecture Notes in Medical Informatics 8. Springer-Verlag. p. 309. ISBN 3540102779. Retrieved 5 July 2012.
- "Conferment of Honorary Doctorates".
- "Honorary Doctorate Conferees".