Gabor T. Herman is a pioneer in the field of computerized tomography, an important medical diagnostic procedure. He is also author of books on digital geometry and digital topology, 3D rendering (computer graphics) in medicine and discrete tomography. He has written over 500 research articles, including several classic works in their fields. He is recognized internationally for his major contributions to image processing (see, e.g., algebraic reconstruction techniques) and its applications in various fields of science, medicine and engineering.
Herman earned his Ph.D. from the University of London in Mathematics in 1968. He was the leader of successful image processing groups at University at Buffalo and at the University of Pennsylvania. He was a Hewlett Packard Visiting Research Professor at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute in Berkeley, California and is since 2002 at the CUNY Graduate Center. His research has been funded by the National Institutes of Health and by the National Science Foundation since the mid-seventies.
His books include 3D Imaging in Medicine (CRC, 1991 and 2000), Geometry of Digital Spaces (Birkhauser, 1998), Discrete Tomography: Foundations, Algorithms and Applications (Birkhauser, 1999), Advances in Discrete Tomography and Its Applications (Birkhauser, 2007), Fundamentals of Computerized Tomography: Image Reconstruction from Projections (Springer, 2009) and Computational Methods for Three-Dimensional Microscopy Reconstruction (Birkhäuser Basel, 2014). During 1992-4 he was the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging.
In recognition of his scientific work, Gabor T. Herman has honorary doctorates from Linkoping University (Sweden), Jozsef Attila University, Szeged (Hungary) and University of Haifa (Israel). In recent years he has been involved with research on the superiorization methodology.
Gabor T. Herman is married to artist Marilyn Kirsch
- Deuflhard, P.; Dössel, O.; Louis, A. K.; Zachow, S. (March 5, 2009). "More Mathematics into Medicine!" (PDF). p. 2.
- Herman, G. T. (2009). Fundamentals of computerized tomography: Image reconstruction from projection (2nd ed.). Springer. ISBN 1-85233-617-X.
- Herman, G. T. (1998). Geometry of Digital Spaces. Boston: Birkhäuser. ISBN 0-8176-3897-0.
- Udupa, J. K.; Herman, G. T. (2000). 3D Imaging in Medicine (2nd ed.). CRC Press. ISBN 0-8493-3179-X.
- Herman, G. T.; Kuba, A. (1999). Discrete Tomography: Foundations, Algorithms, and Applications. Boston: Birkhäuser. ISBN 0-8176-4101-7.
- Herman, G. T.; Kuba, A. (2007). Advances in Discrete Tomography and Its Applications. Boston: Birkhäuser. ISBN 0-8176-3614-5.
- "Hewlett Packard Visiting Research Professor" (PDF).
- "Gabor T. Herman appointed to the Graduate Center".
- Herman, G.T.; Natterer, F. (1981). Mathematical Aspects of Computerized Tomography. Proceedings, Oberwolfach 1980. Lecture Notes in Medical Informatics 8. Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3540102779.
- "Our Honorary Doctors".
- "Conferment of Honorary Doctorates".
- "Honorary Doctorate Conferees".
- Superiorization: Theory and Applications, Special Issue of the journal Inverse Problems, Volume 33, Number 4, April 2017