May 6, 1983 |
Bedford–Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, U.S.
|Alma mater||Mercy College|
|Parent(s)||Alice Tan Ridley
Gabourey Sidibe (/ / GAB-ə-RAY SID-ih-BAY; born May 6, 1983) is an American actress who made her acting debut in the 2009 film Precious, a role that brought her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress. From 2010 to 2013, she was a main cast member of the Showtime series The Big C. Sidibe co-starred on the television series American Horror Story: Coven as Queenie and American Horror Story: Freak Show as Regina Ross, and later reprised her role as Queenie in American Horror Story: Hotel. Since 2015, she stars in the Fox musical drama series Empire as Becky Williams.
Sidibe was born in Bedford–Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York, and was raised in Harlem. Her mother, Alice Tan Ridley, is an American R&B and gospel singer who appeared on the fifth season of America's Got Talent, on June 15, 2010. Her father, Ibnou Sidibe, is from Senegal and is a cab driver. Growing up, Sidibe lived with her aunt, the noted feminist activist Dorothy Pitman Hughes. She has attended Borough of Manhattan Community College, City College of New York, and graduated from Mercy College. She worked at The Fresh Air Fund's office as a receptionist before she went on to pursue a career in acting.
In Precious, Sidibe played the main character, Claireece "Precious" Jones, a 16-year-old mother of two (both of whom are the results of being raped by her father) trying to escape abuse at the hands of her mother. The film won numerous awards, including two Academy Awards, a Golden Globe Award and Sundance Film Festival Grand Jury Award. On December 15, 2009, she was nominated for a Golden Globe in the category of Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture Drama for her performance in Precious. The next month she received an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress.
Her next film, Yelling to the Sky, was a Sundance Lab project directed by Victoria Mahoney and starring Zoe Kravitz, in which she played Latonya Williams, a bully.In 2011, Sidibe was in the film Tower Heist and voiced a party girl character in "Hot Water", the season 7 premiere of American Dad!. She appeared in the season 8 American Dad! episode "Stanny Tendergrass" early in 2013 and also stars in the music video for "Don't Stop (Color on the Walls)" by indie pop band Foster the People. Sidibe also appeared in the Showtime network series entitled The Big C as Andrea Jackson.
During an interview, Sidibe reported that before landing her role in the 2009 film, Precious, Joan Cusack advised her that the entertainment industry was not for her and to quit, leaning over and stating: "Oh honey, you should really quit the business. It's so image-conscious."
In April 2013, it was announced that Sidibe would be joining the cast of the third season of American Horror Story, portraying Queenie, a young witch. She returned to the series for its fourth season, American Horror Story: Freak Show as a secretarial school student, Regina Ross. As of 2015, she stars in Lee Daniels Fox musical series Empire as Becky Williams alongside Terrance Howard and Taraji P. Henson. Sidibe portrays the head of A&R in the Empire company. In April 2015, it was announced Sidibe would be promoted to a series regular beginning in Season 2. She also starred in the Hulu series Difficult People as Denise.
On June 3, 2015 it was confirmed Sidibe would be writing her memoir and it would be published in 2017. On January 6, 2016, Sidibe appeared in the penultimate episode for American Horror Story: Hotel, reprising her Coven role as Queenie, marking her third season in the series.
|2009||Precious||Claireece "Precious" Jones||Debut Film|
|2011||Yelling to the Sky||Latonya Williams|
|2011||Tower Heist||Odessa Montero||Cameo|
|2014||White Bird in a Blizzard||Beth|
|2010||Saturday Night Live||Host||Episode: "Gabourey Sidibe/MGMT"|
|2010–13||The Big C||Andrea Jackson||Season 1,2 Recurring; Season 3,4 Main Role|
|2011||Glenn Martin DDS||Keisha (voice)||Episode: "Date with Destiny"|
|2011-12||American Dad!||Herself, Party Girl (voice)||2 episodes|
|2013–14||American Horror Story: Coven||Queenie||12 episodes|
|2013||Brooklyn Nine-Nine||Junior Policeman Program||Cameo (Season 1, EP 3 "The Slump")|
|2014||American Horror Story: Freak Show||Regina Ross||3 episodes|
|2015–present||Empire||Becky Williams||Season 1 Recurring, Season 2,3 Main Role|
|2015–16||Difficult People||Denise||Recurring Role|
|2016||American Horror Story: Hotel||Queenie||Season 5; Episode: "Battle Royale"|
|2016||Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio||Various||Season 1, Recurring Role|
|2016||Drunk History||Ella Fitzgerald||Episode: "Legends"|
- Foster the People: "Don't Stop (Color on the Walls)" (2011)
- Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx: "(I Wanna) Channing All Over Your Tatum" (2014)
Awards and nominations
- List of black Academy Award winners and nominees
- List of black Golden Globe Award winners and nominees
- Lee, Felicia R. (2007-08-05). "Luckily, There's Plenty of Her for Everybody". New York Times. p. 2.
- "Mo'Nique on her open marriage.". Oprah.com. Archived from the original on 2008-01-31. Retrieved January 28, 2008.
- Yarbrough, Marti (November 11, 2002). "Actress and comedienne Mo'Nique of the Parkers talks about her: career new book `Skinny Women are Evil' new fiance". JET Magazine.
- "Gabourey Sidibe". The New York Times.
- Stated on the Late Show with David Letterman, November 9, 2009.
- Williams, Kam (November 10, 2009). "Gabby Sidibe "Precious" Interview with Kam Williams". NewsBlaze. Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- Stephanie Marcus. "Gabourey Sidibe's Speech on Confidence is Incredibly Moving". The Huffington Post. Retrieved May 6, 2014.
- Right Cinema. "Gabourey Sidibe profile". Movies.rightcelebrity.com. Retrieved May 16, 2010.
- "A Breath of Fresh Air". New York Social Diary.
- Zeitchik, Ed (January 24, 2009). "'Push' takes Sundance grand jury award". The Hollywood Reporter
- Yadegaran, Jessica (November 12, 2009), "Gabourey Sidibe on being 'Precious'", San Jose Mercury News, retrieved November 15, 2009
- Gabourey Sidibe, Jimmy Kimmel. Jimmy Kimmel Live!. Jimmy Kimmel Live! Channel.
- Fisher, Kelly (April 26, 2012). "WATCH: Gabourey Sidibe: Joan Cusack Told Me To Quit Show Business". Huffington Post.
- Nemetz, Dave (April 26, 2012). "Gabourey Sidibe Reveals the Terrible Advice She Got From Joan Cusack". Yahoo!
- Keveney, Bill (April 29, 2013). "Gabourey Sidibe joins 'American Horror Story: Coven'". USA Today. Retrieved May 2, 2013.
- "'American Horror Story: Freak Show' adds Michael Chiklis; Emma Roberts and Gabourey Sidibe returning". Retrieved 21 June 2014.
- "EMPIRE CLOSE UP: GABOUREY SIDIBE AS "BECKY WILLIAMS"". fox. Retrieved 27 March 2015.
- Aussiello, Michael (April 12, 2015). "Empire Promotes Pair to Series Regular". TVline. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Gabourey Sidibe Talks Joining Billy Eichner and Julie Klausner in Their Hulu Comedy 'Difficult People' and Life Inside 'Empire'". Yahoo. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Isabella Bidenharn (June 3, 2015). "Empire actress Gabourey Sidibe to publish memoir". EW. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gabourey Sidibe.|