|Born||Gabriel A. Dover|
|Thesis||The genetics and function of the meiotic pairing-control systems in the triticinae (1972)|
|Known for||Molecular drive|
Gabriel A. Dover is a British geneticist, best known for coining the term molecular drive in 1982 to describe a putative third evolutionary force operating distinctly from natural selection and genetic drift.
Dover was awarded a Bachelor of Science degree in botany and genetics from the University of Leeds. He was awarded a PhD from the University of Cambridge in 1972 for research on the genetics and function of the meiotic pairing-control systems.
Dover's research has been on the evolution of genes and genomes, particularly the complex processes that occur in multigene families such as ribosomal RNA genes. His recent work has focused on development in flies, in particular the co-evolution between the developmental regulatory elements involved in morphogenesis.
The majority of his career was spent at the Department of Genetics at the University of Cambridge. In 1992, Dover became a Professor of Genetics at the University of Leicester. He was awarded a Research Fellowship in 1997 and an Emeritus Fellowship in 2002 by the Leverhulme Trust.
Dover co-edited the textbook Genome Evolution with Richard Flavell. He has also written a popular book on evolution, Dear Mr Darwin: Letters on the Evolution of Life and Human Nature, framed as an exchange of letters with Charles Darwin from beyond the grave. The book seeks to refute the selfish gene theory promulgated by Richard Dawkins.
- Brown, Stephen D. M. (1981). The molecular organisation and evolution of rodent genomes. (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 556404448.
- Brown, S. D. M.; Dover, G. A. (1980). "Conservation of segmental variants of satellite DNA of Mus musculus in a related species: Mus spretus". Nature 285 (5759): 47. doi:10.1038/285047a0.
- Brown, S. D.; Dover, G (1981). "Organization and evolutionary progress of a dispersed repetitive family of sequences in widely separated rodent genomes". Journal of Molecular Biology 150 (4): 441–66. doi:10.1016/0022-2836(81)90374-0. PMID 6276556.
- Brownlee, C. (2004). "Biography of Enrico Coen". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101 (14): 4725–4727. doi:10.1073/pnas.0401746101. ISSN 0027-8424.
- Coen, Enrico S.; Thoday, John M.; Dover, Gabriel (1982). "Rate of turnover of structural variants in the rDNA gene family of Drosophila melanogaster". Nature 295 (5850): 564–568. doi:10.1038/295564a0. ISSN 0028-0836.
- Coen, Enrico Sandro (1982). The dynamics of multigene family evolution in Drosophila (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 499809938.
- Dover, G. A.; Strachan, T; Coen, E. S.; Brown, S. D. (1982). "Molecular drive". Science (New York, N.Y.) 218 (4577): 1069. doi:10.1126/science.7146895. PMID 7146894.
- Dover, G. A. (1986). "Molecular drive in multigene families: How biological novelties arise, spread and are assimilated". Trends in Genetics 2: 159. doi:10.1016/0168-9525(86)90211-8.
- Dover, G. (1982). "Molecular drive: A cohesive mode of species evolution". Nature 299 (5879): 111. doi:10.1038/299111a0.
- Gabriel Dover's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier. (subscription required)
- Wratten, N. S.; McGregor, A. P.; Shaw, P. J.; Dover, G. A. (2006). "Evolutionary and functional analysis of the tailless enhancer in Musca domestica and Drosophila melanogaster". Evolution & Development 8 (1): 6–15. doi:10.1111/j.1525-142X.2006.05070.x. PMID 16409378.
- Dover, Gabriel A. (1972). The genetics and function of the meiotic pairing-control systems in the triticinae. (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 500428008.
- Dover G. Dear Mr Darwin: Letters on the Evolution of Life and Human Nature (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2000); biographical note, p.4.
- Williams L. Fellowships. Times Higher Educational Supplement (24 October 1997) (accessed 21 March 2010).
- Awards to Individuals 2002, The Leverhulme Trust (accessed 21 March 2010). Archived February 21, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Genome Evolution (Academic Press, 1982)
- Baglioni, C. (1983). "Genome evolution GA Gaber and RB Flavell (eds) London: Academic Press Ltd., 1982, $ 19.50". American Journal of Medical Genetics 15 (2): 349. doi:10.1002/ajmg.1320150223.
- Dear Mr Darwin: Letters on the Evolution of Life and Human Nature (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2000) ISBN 0520227905
|This article about a biologist from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|