May 18, 1979|
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
|Other names||Napão (IPA: [naˈpɐ̃w̃])|
|Residence||Ludlow, Massachusetts, United States|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||263.6 lb (120 kg; 18 st 12 lb)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Worcester, Massachusetts, United States|
Squared BJJ, Team Link |
Chute Boxe Academy (formerly)
|Rank||4th degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Wander Braga|
2003–2016, 2018–present (MMA) |
|Professional boxing record|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
|World Jiu-Jitsu Championship|
|ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championship|
|Brazilian National Jiu-Jitsu Championship|
Gabriel Gonzaga (Portuguese pronunciation: [ɡabɾiˈew ɡõˈzaɡɐ]; born May 18, 1979) is a Brazilian professional boxer and retired professional mixed martial artist, who competed in the Heavyweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Gonzaga won a gold medal in the Ultra Heavyweight division at the 2006 Mundials, which is considered to be the top BJJ competition in the world. Gonzaga's nickname "Napão" means "big nose" in Portuguese.
- 1 Background
- 2 Mixed martial arts career
- 3 Professional boxing career
- 4 Grappling credentials
- 5 Personal life
- 6 Championships and accomplishments
- 7 Mixed martial arts record
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Gonzaga was born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and began training in judo when he was 14 years old. before later transitioning to Brazilian jiu-jitsu, under the tutelage of Wander Braga. Gonzaga would go on to achieve many accomplishments in the sport before transitioning into a career in MMA.
Mixed martial arts career
Gonzaga made his professional MMA debut on April 4, 2003 in Santos, Brazil against Cicero Costa, winning via submission due to punches in the first round. He went on to compile a 4-1 professional record with his only loss coming via TKO to Fabrício Werdum.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
He made his UFC debut at UFC 56, knocking out Kevin Jordan with a superman punch at 4:39 of the third round. However, weeks before the fight, his pregnant wife started having complications with her pregnancy and lost one of the twins she was carrying. Gonzaga's obligations to his wife during her high risk pregnancy left him unable to train properly.
At UFC 70, Gonzaga knocked out Mirko Cro Cop with a head kick, Cro Cop's own signature move. With the win, Gonzaga became the next contender for UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture. The knockout was the consensus Knockout of the Year for 2007.
Gonzaga also fought at UFC 86 against Justin McCully. Early in the first round, McCully fell to the ground due to a powerful leg kick from Gonzaga. Gonzaga took to McCully's half guard, quickly passing to the mount position and winning by first round submission with an americana from the mount.
At UFC 91 Gonzaga knocked out UFC newcomer Josh Hendricks with a right hand at 1:01 of the first round.
Gonzaga then faced undefeated Heavyweight prospect Shane Carwin at UFC 96. In the first 30 seconds of the fight, Gonzaga caught Carwin with an uppercut and two left hooks, breaking his nose. Gonzaga took the fight to the floor, but Carwin quickly fought back to his feet. Against the fence, Carwin pushed Gonzaga away and threw an overhand right that knocked Gonzaga out. The referee called the match at 69 seconds of round one, handing Gonzaga his fourth career loss.
At UFC 102 Gonzaga defeated Chris Tuchscherer via TKO at 2:27 of the first round. The fight, however, was controversial, as Gonzaga landed an illegal low blow that hurt Tuchsherer very badly. While Tuchsherer was able to continue after taking a full five-minute rest, Gonzaga landed a powerful head kick and continued to dominate the rest of the fight, eventually finishing via strikes.
Gonzaga was defeated by Brendan Schaub on October 23, 2010 at UFC 121 by unanimous decision. All three judges scored the fight 30-27 after Gonzaga was out-struck throughout all three rounds by Schaub. This was also the first bout in Gonzaga's professional career to go the distance.
Following the loss to Schaub, Gonzaga was released from the promotion.
After being released by the UFC, Gonzaga stated that he would only compete in Brazilian jiu-jitsu but expressed interest in returning to MMA. Gonzaga returned to action against Reality Fighting Heavyweight Champion Parker Porter. Gonzaga fought Porter on October 8 where he submitted him with an arm-triangle choke in the third round, winning the Reality Fighting Heavyweight Championship.
Return to the UFC
It was announced that Gonzaga signed a new, four-fight contract with the Ultimate Fighting Championship on December 16, 2011. In his return bout, he faced Ednaldo Oliveira at UFC 142, replacing an injured Rob Broughton. Gonzaga won the fight via submission in the first round.
Gabriel Gonzaga was expected to face Shane del Rosario at UFC 146 on May 26, 2012. Gabriel was pulled from the bout against Shane Del Rosario to replace Antônio Silva against Roy Nelson, after Silva was switched to meet Cain Velasquez. Gonzaga later was forced out of the bout against Roy Nelson because of an injury, being replaced by Dave Herman.
Gonzaga was expected to face promotional newcomer and fellow Brazilian Geronimo dos Santos on October 13, 2012 at UFC 153 but dos Santos dropped off the card for an undisclosed reason. As no replacement was scheduled, Gonzaga was also removed from the card.
Gonzaga faced returning veteran Mirko Cro Cop in a rematch on April 11, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 64. After arguably winning the first two rounds, Gonzaga was finished by TKO in the third round after a flurry of elbows and punches. Gonzaga later stated that he wasn't ready for all 5 rounds, and that he was surprised by Cro Cop's strength and improved elbows. The bout earned both men Fight of the Night bonus honors.
Gonzaga was expected to face Ruslan Magomedov on April 10, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 86. However, Magomedov was forced out of the bout in early March due to injury and replaced by Derrick Lewis. Gonzaga lost the fight via KO in the first round.
On September 30, 2016 it was announced that Gonzaga will be retiring from the sport unless offered a 6-figure contract from the UFC.
Professional boxing career
On September 14, 2017, it was announced that Gonzaga would be making his pro boxing debut for the Rivera Promotions Entertainment (RPE) boxing promotion on October 26 against a to be determined opponent.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
ADCC Submission Wrestling Championships
Record of opponents:
- Won: Mustapha al-Turk (pts), Ricco Rodriguez (pts), Marcio Cruz (pts), Eduardo Telles (pts)
- Lost: Jeff Monson (pts), Xande Ribeiro (sub)
2006 Winner CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo Winner CBJJ Mundials Black Belt Pesadissimo
2005 2nd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo 3rd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Absolute 2nd place ADCC +99 kg
2003 2nd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Pesadissimo 2nd CBJJO Copa Do Mundo Black Belt Absolute
2000 3rd Mundials black belt Super-Pesado
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- FIGHT! Magazine
- Fight Matrix
- Most Lopsided Upset of the Year (2007)
- Inside Fights
- Reality Fighting
- Reality Fighting Heavyweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|28 matches||17 wins||11 losses|
|Loss||17–12||Alexander Emelianenko||TKO (punches and knees)||RCC: Russian Cagefighting Championship 2||May 5, 2018||2||3:43||Yekaterinburg, Russia|
|Loss||17–11||Derrick Lewis||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Rothwell vs. dos Santos||April 10, 2016||1||4:48||Zagreb, Croatia|
|Win||17–10||Konstantin Erokhin||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber Finale||December 11, 2015||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||16–10||Mirko Cro Cop||TKO (elbows and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Gonzaga vs. Cro Cop 2||April 11, 2015||3||3:30||Kraków, Poland||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||16–9||Matt Mitrione||TKO (punches)||UFC on Fox: dos Santos vs. Miocic||December 13, 2014||1||1:59||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||16–8||Stipe Miocic||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||3||5:00||Chicago, Illinois, United States|
|Win||16–7||Shawn Jordan||KO (punches)||UFC 166||October 19, 2013||1||1:33||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Win||15–7||Dave Herman||KO (punches)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||1||0:17||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||14–7||Travis Browne||KO (elbows)||The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen Finale||April 13, 2013||1||1:11||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||14–6||Ben Rothwell||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on FX: Belfort vs. Bisping||January 19, 2013||2||1:01||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||13–6||Ednaldo Oliveira||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 142||January 14, 2012||1||3:22||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||12–6||Parker Porter||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Reality Fighting: Gonzaga vs. Porter||October 8, 2011||3||1:50||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States||Won the Reality Fighting Heavyweight Championship.|
|Loss||11–6||Brendan Schaub||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 121||October 23, 2010||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States|
|Loss||11–5||Junior dos Santos||KO (punches)||UFC Live: Vera vs. Jones||March 21, 2010||1||3:53||Broomfield, Colorado, United States|
|Win||11–4||Chris Tuchscherer||TKO (punches)||UFC 102||August 29, 2009||1||2:27||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||10–4||Shane Carwin||KO (punch)||UFC 96||March 7, 2009||1||1:09||Columbus, Ohio, United States|
|Win||10–3||Josh Hendricks||KO (punches)||UFC 91||November 15, 2008||1||1:01||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–3||Justin McCully||Submission (americana)||UFC 86||July 5, 2008||1||1:57||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||8–3||Fabrício Werdum||TKO (punches)||UFC 80||January 19, 2008||2||4:34||Newcastle upon Tyne, England|
|Loss||8–2||Randy Couture||TKO (punches)||UFC 74||August 25, 2007||3||1:37||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||For the UFC Heavyweight Championship. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||8–1||Mirko Cro Cop||KO (head kick)||UFC 70||April 21, 2007||1||4:51||Manchester, England||UFC Heavyweight title eliminator. Knockout of the Night.|
|Win||7–1||Carmelo Marrero||Submission (armbar)||UFC 66||December 30, 2006||1||3:22||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||6–1||Fabiano Scherner||TKO (punches)||UFC 60||May 27, 2006||2||0:24||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||5–1||Kevin Jordan||KO (superman punch)||UFC 56||November 19, 2005||3||4:39||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||4–1||Walter Farias||Submission (neck crank)||Shooto Brazil: Never Shake||October 23, 2004||2||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||3–1||Charlie Brown||TKO (retirement)||Jungle Fight 2||May 15, 2004||3||N/A||Manaus, Brazil|
|Loss||2–1||Fabrício Werdum||TKO (punches)||Jungle Fight 1||September 13, 2003||3||2:11||Manaus, Brazil|
|Win||2–0||Branden Lee Hinkle||Submission (triangle choke)||Meca 9: Meca World Vale Tudo 9||August 1, 2003||1||3:54||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||1–0||Cicero Costa||Submission (punches)||Brazilian Gladiators 2||April 2, 2003||1||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
- List of current UFC fighters
- List of male mixed martial artists
- List of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu practitioners
- "Print Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dos Santos vs. Miocic". Ufc.com.
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Dos Santos vs. Miocic". UFC.com. Retrieved December 15, 2014.
- "Shane del Rosario forced out at UFC 162, Dave Herman now meets Gabriel Gonzaga". MMAjunkie.com. June 1, 2013.
- "Brazilian Beat: Jiu-jitsu instructor at heart, Gabriel Gonzaga still happy to fight again". MMAjunkie.com. October 8, 2011.
- "World Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2006 – Results". Official IBJJF results. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "World Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2002 – Results". Official IBJJF results. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "ADCC 2005 - Results". Official ADCC results. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Brazilian Nationals Jiu-Jitsu Championship 1999 – Results". Official IBJJF results. Retrieved March 20, 2014.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga - Official UFC® Fighter Profile". Ufc.com.
- Remillard, Jason (January 18, 2008). "Ultimate Time for Gonzaga". Mass Live.com. Retrieved January 19, 2008.
- "A statement from Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga". PuroresuPower.com. November 26, 2005. Retrieved January 19, 2008.[dead link]
- "Top Brazilian Heavyweights Battle in Newcastle". Sherdog. October 30, 2007. Retrieved October 30, 2007.
- "UFC 86 Review: Main Event Wows, Forrest Wins!". MMAWeekly.com. July 6, 2008. Retrieved 2011-07-31.
- "Another good fight goes bye-bye: Gonzaga out of UFC 108". sports.yahoo.com. 2009-11-25.
- "Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga". sherdog.com.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Brendan Schaub meet at UFC 121 in California". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on 2010-07-25. Retrieved 2010-07-22.
- "Gonzaga released from the UFC". BostonHerald.com. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- "Mixed Martial Arts: MMA News, Fighters, Events, Forum". The Underground.
- ":: Welcome to the North American Grappling Association (NAGA) ::". nagafighter.com.
- "shockblastmedia.com". Shockblastmedia.com.
- "Nothing found for 2011 10 09 Gabriel Gonzaga Submits Parker Porter Takes Reality Fighting Heavyweight Championship". Mmagoss.com. Archived from the original on 2012-04-25. Retrieved 2017-07-30.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga Back, Faces Ednaldo Oliveira at UFC 142". MMAweekly.com. December 16, 2011. Retrieved December 16, 2011.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga set to welcome Strikeforce's Shane Del Rosario to the Octagon". mmamania.com. February 22, 2012.
- "Gabriel Gabriel Gonzaga fills an open slot against Roy Nelson at UFC 146". mmajunkie.com. April 23, 2012. Archived from the original on April 26, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2012.
- "Roy Nelson vs Dave Herman booked with Gabriel Gonzaga injured". mmamania.com. May 2, 2012. Retrieved May 2, 2012.
- "Gonzaga vs. 'Mondragon' set for UFC 153". tatame.com. August 1, 2012. Archived from the original on August 5, 2012.
- "Heavyweights Ben Rothwell, Gabriel Gonzaga targeted for Jan. 19 UFC card in Brazil". MMAjunkie.com. 2012-11-02. Archived from the original on 2013-01-29. Retrieved 2012-11-02.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Travis Browne booked for The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale". MMAjunkie.com. 2013-02-11. Retrieved 2013-02-11.
- "Shane del Rosario forced out at UFC 162, Dave Herman now meets Gabriel Gonzaga". mmajunkie.com. 2013-05-31. Archived from the original on 2013-06-08. Retrieved 2013-06-01.
- Brian Hemminger (2013-07-24). "Heavyweight bout Shawn Jordan vs Gabriel Gonzaga slated for UFC 166 in Houston". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Stipe Miocic added to UFC on FOX 10 in Chicago". mmajunkie.com. 2013-11-20. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Marc Raimondi (2014-09-19). "Heavyweights Matt Mitrione, Gabriel Gonzaga to meet on FOX card in Phoenix". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2014-09-19.
- "UFC Fight Night 64 heads to Poland with Cro Cop-Gonzaga II, Blachowicz-Manuwa". mmajunkie.com. 2015-01-23. Retrieved 2015-01-23.
- "UFC Fight Night 64 results: Mirko Filipovic shocks with TKO win over Gabriel Gonzaga". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "UFC Krakow results: Mirko Cro Cop gets revenge on Gabriel Gonzaga with third-round TKO". mmafighting.com. 11 April 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "UFC Fight Night 64 bonuses: Cro Cop and Gonzaga among four scoring $50,000". mmajunkie.com. 11 April 2015. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Konstantin Erokhin heavyweight tilt set for TUF 22 Finale in Vegas". mmajunkie.com. 2015-09-11. Retrieved 2015-09-11.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-12-11). "TUF 22 Finale results: Gabriel Gonzaga takes lackluster decision over Konstantin Erokhin". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- Danny Doherty (2016-01-22). "UFC Fight Night 85: Gonzaga to fight Magomedov in Croatia". cagepages.com. Retrieved 2016-01-22.
- John Morgan (2016-03-09). "Derrick Lewis vs. Gabriel Gonzaga in works for UFC Fight Night 86". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-03-09.
- Ben Fowlkes (2016-04-10). "UFC Fight Night 86 results: Derrick Lewis crushes Gabriel Gonzaga for first-round KO". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-10.
- Kelsey Mowatt (September 30, 2016). "UFC Vet Gabriel Gonzaga Says He's Retired Unless Six Figure Contract's Tabled". mmafrenzy.com.
- "Former UFC Title Challenger Gabriel Gonzaga to Make Pro Boxing Debut on Oct 26".
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-04. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
- "Fight Matrix - MMA Awards". Fightmatrix.com.
- "2007 Inside Fights Awards - Inside Pulse". Insidepulse.com. Retrieved 2017-07-30.