Iglesias in June 2008
|Birth name||Gabriel Jesus Iglesias|
|Born||July 15, 1976|
San Diego, California, U.S.
|Medium||Stand-up, television, film|
|Genres||Observational comedy, surreal humor, physical comedy, self-deprecation, satire|
|Subject(s)||Latin American culture, race relations, obesity, everyday life, pop culture, human behavior|
Gabriel Jesus Iglesias (born July 15, 1976), known comically as Fluffy, is an American comedian and actor. He is known for his shows I'm Not Fat… I'm Fluffy and Hot & Fluffy.
Iglesias was born Gabriel Jesus Iglesias in San Diego, California, the youngest of six children of Esther P. Mendez and Jesus Iglesias. He was raised by his single mother. He is of Mexican heritage. He grew up in Riverside, Corona, Santa Ana, Baldwin Park, and Compton before settling in Section 8, low-income housing in Long Beach, where Iglesias spent most of his youth.
Iglesias often references his weight in his comedy, often saying, "Oh, I'm not fat, I'm fluffy", elaborating that there were five levels of fatness, "Big", "Healthy", "Husky", "Fluffy", and "DAMN!!!" He later added a 6th level, "Oh Hell No!!"
In 2007, Iglesias voiced an entire Mexican family in "Padre de Familia", a sixth season episode of the Fox TV animated comedy Family Guy. That same year, he began voicing a recurring set of identical twin characters on The Emperor's New School, a Disney animated series that he describes as his favorite voice work.
Iglesias was a contestant on the fourth season of reality TV series Last Comic Standing in 2006, surviving elimination to become one of the final eight comics. He was disqualified at that point for having used a smuggled BlackBerry to communicate with family and friends, which violated the rules of the show.
In 2011, Comedy Central debuted Gabriel Iglesias Presents Stand Up Revolution, a standup showcase series which Iglesias produced and hosted, running for three seasons before ending in 2014.
Iglesias is featured in the reality series Fluffy Breaks Even, which premiered on Fuse on October 1, 2015. The show was renamed Fluffy's Food Adventures upon its third season renewal in January 2017. In 2019, he played Gabe Iglesias, in Mr. Iglesias, a Netflix original series about a teacher at Woodrow Wilson High School in Long Beach, California.
Awards and honors
On February 10, 2012, Iglesias was presented with several awards by the city of El Paso, Texas, including the key to the city and the Beacon of H.O.P.E Award from the nonprofit organization Operation H.O.P.E.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Iglesias lives in Whittier, California. In The Fluffy Movie, Iglesias describes how at his heaviest, which he states was 445 pounds (202 kilograms), he was diagnosed with Type II Diabetes, and with his blood sugar spiking to over 300 mg/dl (16.6 mmol/L) regularly, was given two years to live by his doctor. He said the shock of being told he had two years to live prompted him to reevaluate how he took care of himself, and explained that he decided to lose weight in order to ensure his continued presence in the lives of his loved ones. Iglesias described the struggle to incorporate a healthier lifestyle, relating how he was told by a specialist that his heavy touring schedule precluded him from being a candidate for bariatric surgery, and how he resorted instead to weight-lifting, Diamond Dallas Page Yoga, and a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet, which helped him shed over 100 pounds (45 kilograms).
|2002||Entre vivos y plebeyos||Piarta||Short film|
|2004||Days of Santiago||Coquero|
|2006||The Surfer King||Aokee|
|2013||Planes||Ned and Zed||Voice|
|2014||The Nut Job||Jimmy||Voice|
|2014||A Haunted House 2||Miguel|
|2014||The Fluffy Movie||Himself||Stand-up comedy film|
|2014||The Book of Life||Pepe Rodríguez||Voice|
|2015||Magic Mike XXL||Tobias|
|2016||Norm of the North||Pablo and Stan||Voice|
|2016||El Americano: The Movie||García||Voice|
|2017||Smurfs: The Lost Village||Jokey Smurf||Voice|
|2017||The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature||Jimmy||Voice|
|2000||All That||Himself/Various Characters||13 episodes|
|2002||My Wife and Kids||Nabu||Episode: "Table for Too Many"|
|2003||Comedy Central Presents||Himself||Stand-up special|
|2006||Last Comic Standing||Himself (contestant)||4 episodes|
|2006–2008||The Emperor's New School||Guaca||Voice|
|2007||Gabriel Iglesias: Hot and Fluffy||Himself||Stand-up special|
|2007||Family Guy||Mexican No. 5||Voice|
Episode: "Padre de Familia"
|2009||Gabriel Iglesias: I’m Not Fat... I’m Fluffy||Himself||Stand-up special|
|2011–2014||Gabriel Iglesias Presents Stand Up Revolution||Himself (host)||19 episodes; Also creator, writer, executive producer|
|2012||The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange||Chicken, Krazy Klaus, Mr. Cash, Smash, Mr. Juicy Fun||Voice|
|2013||Gabriel Iglesias: Aloha Fluffy||Himself||Stand-up special|
|2013||Key & Peele||Himself||Episode: "Joke Stealing"|
|2014||Scooby-Doo! Ghastly Goals||Professor Perez||Voice|
|2015–2017||Fluffy's Food Adventures||Himself (host)||20 episodes; Also creator, writer, executive producer|
|2016||Ice Age: The Great Egg-Scapade||Cholly Bear||Voice|
|2016||Gabriel Iglesias: I’m Sorry For What I Said While I Was Hungry||Himself||Stand-up special|
|2017||Narcos||Dominican Gangster||Episode: "The Cali KGB"|
|2018||Modern Family||Jorge||Episode: "Daddy Issues"|
|2019||Gabriel Iglesias: One Show Fits All||Himself||Stand-up special|
|2019||Match Game||Himself/Celebrity Panelist||Season 4 Episode 7|
|2019||Mr. Iglesias||Gabe Iglesias||10 episodes; also executive producer|
- Iglesias, Gabriel (December 19, 2016). "Gabriel Jesus Iglesias. Yeah my fam was pretty religious". Twitter.
- "Bio". fluffyguy.com. Retrieved April 16, 2012.
- "Gabriel Iglesias". www.facebook.com.
- "Gabriel Iglesias takes the stage at The Show for three days". Desert Entertainer.
- Duck, Allison (July 23, 2009). "Gabriel Iglesias: fabulously fluffy". Las Vegas Weekly
- "NBC's 'Last Comic Standing 4' eliminates three, reveals Top 5 finalists". Reality TV World. July 12, 2006. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- Waits, Anne (December 11, 2013). "Comedian Gabriel Iglesias ready to bring on the laughs". The Augusta Chronicle. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Bickel, Britt (January 24, 2014). "Gabriel Iglesias On His New Animated Movie 'The Nut Job'". Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Rivera, Zayda (January 16, 2014). "Gabriel Iglesias is a fluffy furry friend in 'The Nut Job'". Daily News. New York.
- Iglesias, Gabriel (September 30, 2015). "Fluffy Breaks Even" Premieres Tomorrow, October 1st on FuseTV!. YouTube. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- Pena, Jessica (January 6, 2017). "Fluffy Breaks Even: Season Three Ordered by Fuse, Show Title Changed". TVSeriesFinale. Retrieved February 18, 2019.
- King, Scott ( October 6, 2011). "The Laughspin interview with Gabriel Iglesias". Laughspin.
- Hinojosa, Alex (February 10, 2012). "Comedian Gabriel "Fluffy" Iglesias gets key to the city". El Paso Times.
- "Gabriel Iglesias". Last Comic Standing. NBC. Archived from the original on October 29, 2010. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- Deanne, Derrick (November 15, 2013). "Go Nuts for New 'Nut Job' Poster, Trailer Coming Monday". Movies.com.
- "Jaime Pressly, Two Others Enter Wayans' A Haunted House 2". ComingSoon.net. August 24, 2013.
- "Open Road Acquires Gabriel Iglesias Comedy Concert Pic". Deadline Hollywood. February 13, 2014.
- Hopewell, John (May 20, 2014). "'El Americano 3D' Kicks Off Pre-Sales at Cannes (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety (magazine). Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- Amaya, Mayra (April 30, 2014). "'El Americano': The Animated Film You Haven't Heard of… Yet". Rotoscopers. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- "Gabriel Iglesias: Still Fluffy, Still “Hungry,” Not “Sorry” on Netflix". Deadline Hollywood. December 20, 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Gabriel Iglesias|