12 February 1972
|Alma mater||University of Innsbruck|
Gabriel Kuhn (born 1972) is a political writer and translator based in Sweden.
Born in Innsbruck, Austria, Kuhn lived in a variety of countries during his childhood and youth, including Turkey, England and the United States of America. In the 1980s, Kuhn became political and, at the age of sixteen, straight edge and active in radical circles.
Following post-secondary studies in Austria and the United States, Kuhn lived in the Middle East and the South Pacific Islands.
Since 2005, Kuhn has lived in Sweden. Kuhn holds a PhD in philosophy with a speciality in poststructuralism. His thinking has been influenced by classical anarchism and Anglo-American Cultural Studies. The key focus of Kuhn's political activity has been on bridging the gap between theory and practice. Kuhn's conception of community is one based on solidarity with oppressed peoples. Alongside his political and social involvement, Kuhn has in the past played soccer semi-professionally.
In 2010, Kuhn was forced to cancel a three-month speaking tour of the United States after being denied authorization to travel by US authorities. Kuhn believes he had been placed on the "No Fly List."
Kuhn has been politically active since 1989, and his written work, developed in that context, is directed towards left-wing activists and scholars. In the 1990s, he worked with the Austrian autonomist journal TATblatt and the Vienna anarchist publisher Monte Verita.
In 2000, Kuhn founded Alpine Anarchist Productions (AAP), a DIY publishing project that has released numerous pamphlets, many authored by Kuhn under different pseudonyms. The Anarchist Football (Soccer) Manual became the series' most popular work.
Since 2005, Kuhn has published extensively with German radical publisher Unrast Verlag. Tier-Werden, Schwarz-Werden, Frau-Werden. Eine Einführung in die politische Philosophie des Poststrukturalismus (2005) has become a standard left-wing introduction to poststructuralism, and the book Neuer Anarchismus in den USA. Seattle und die Folgen (2008), an annotated anthology of contemporary US anarchism, with translations from David Graeber and the CrimethInc. Collective to John Zerzan and Ward Churchill, was named "Book of the Year" by Berlin's Bibliothek der Freien. Vielfalt, Bewegung, Widerstand (2009) and Anarchismus und Revolution (2017) are collections of his writings on anarchism.
Since 2008, Kuhn has been collaborating on various projects with PM Press. Life Under the Jolly Roger: Reflections on Golden Age Piracy (2010), continues his work on piracy. Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics (2010), is an anthology documenting the radical currents within the straight edge hardcore scene. Revolution and Other Writings (2010) by Gustav Landauer and Liberating Society from the State and Other Writings (2011) by Erich Mühsam are collections of writings by two of Germany's most influential anarchists. Soccer vs. the State: Tackling Football and Radical Politics (2011), Playing as if the World Mattered: An Illustrated History of Activism in Sports (2015), and Antifascism, Sports, Sobriety: Forging a Militant Working-Class Culture (2017) explore the political dimensions of sports from a left-wing perspective.
- Women Pirates and the Politics of the Jolly Roger With Ulrike Klausmann und Marion Meinzerin. BlackRose, Montreal 1997 ISBN 978-1-55164-059-4 TB ISBN 978-1-55164-058-7
- Prison Round Trip by Klaus Viehmann. Translator. PM Press & Kersplebedeb, Oakland & Montreal 2009 ISBN 978-1-60486-082-5
- Life Under the Jolly Roger: Reflections on Golden Age Piracy PM Press, Oakland 2010 ISBN 978-1-60486-052-8
- Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics Editor. PM Press, Oakland 2010 ISBN 978-1-60486-051-1
- Revolution and Other Writings: A Political Reader by Gustav Landauer. Editor and translator. PM Press, Oakland 2010 ISBN 978-1-60486-054-2
- Liberating Society from the State and Other Writings: A Political Reader by Erich Mühsam. Editor and translator. PM Press, Oakland 2011 ISBN 978-1-60486-055-9
- Soccer vs. the State: Tackling Football and Radical Politics PM Press, Oakland 2011 ISBN 978-1-60486-053-5
- All Power to the Councils! A Documentary History of the German Revolution of 1918–1919. Editor and translator. PM Press, Oakland 2012 ISBN 978-1-60486-111-2
- Turning Money into Rebellion: The Unlikely Story of Denmark's Revolutionary Bank Robbers Editor. PM Press & Kersplebedeb, Oakland & Montreal 2014 ISBN 978-1-60486-316-1
- Playing as if the World Mattered: An Illustrated History of Activism in Sports PM Press, Oakland 2015 ISBN 978-1-62963-097-7
- Antifascism, Sports, Sobriety: Forging a Militant Working-Class Culture. Selected Writings by Julius Deutsch. Editor and Translator. PM Press, Oakland 2017 ISBN 978-1-62963-154-7
- X: Straight Edge and Radical Sobriety. Editor. PM Press, Oakland 2019 ISBN 978-1-62963-716-7
- Liberating Sápmi: Indigenous Resistance in Europe's Far North. PM Press, Oakland 2020 ISBN 978-1-62963-712-9
- "Violence Sells... But Who's Buying?". Alpine Anarchist Productions. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "ZNet interviews Gabriel Kuhn on Sober Living". PM Press. Archived from the original on 19 March 2018. Retrieved 19 March 2018.
- "Once Upon a Time in Turkey..." Bosporus Art Project Quarterly. Retrieved 4 September 2013.
- "Anarchism, Postmodernity, and Poststructuralism", in: Randall Amster et al. (eds.), Contemporary Anarchist Studies: An Introductory Anthology of Anarchism in the Academy (Routledge 2009).
- Interview with Gabriel Kuhn Archived 16 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine, International Soccer Network, April 2011 (audio).
- "European Anarchist Has to Cancel Trip to the U.S." The Progressive. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- Leben unter dem Totenkopf, Monte Verita, 1994.
- "AAP was never a clearly defined collective. It has mainly been Gabriel who has held the project together with his writing (under various names) and taking care of the distribution as far as he could." Cited from Alpine Anarchist.
- Buch des Jahres, Bibliothek der Freien.