Luna in July 2019
|Born||December 5, 1982|
Austin, Texas, U.S.
Gabriel Luna (born December 5, 1982) is an American actor and producer. He is known for his roles as Robbie Reyes / Ghost Rider on the ABC action superhero series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Tony Bravo on the El Rey Network drama series Matador, Paco Contreras on the ABC crime drama series Wicked City, and Rev-9 in the Terminator film Terminator: Dark Fate (2019). He has also starred in the films Bernie (2011), Balls Out (2014), Freeheld (2015), Gravy (2015), and Transpecos (2016).
Gabriel Isaac Luna was born in Austin, Texas, on December 5, 1982, the son of Deborah Ann (née Perez) and Gabriel Lopez Luna. His parents were both of Mexican descent. His father died at the age of 20, three months prior to Luna's birth, and he was raised by his mother. He attended St. Edward's University in Austin, where he made his stage debut as Romeo in a production of Romeo and Juliet, and graduated in 2005.
Luna made his screen acting debut as Kristofer Rostropovich in the drama film Fall to Grace, which premiered at South by Southwest in March 2005. He then provided voice-over work for the science fiction video game BlackSite: Area 51, which was released in November 2007. Luna is a founding member of the Austin-based Paper Chairs Theatre Company. On stage in Austin, Luna has portrayed Sergei Maxudov in Black Snow (2009), the title character in Orestes (2009), and Clov in Endgame (2010). For these three performances, he received the Austin Critics Table Best Lead Actor Award in 2010.
Luna then starred as the lead character, Nate Hitchins, in the drama film Dance with the One, which premiered at South by Southwest in March 2010. The following year, he had a supporting role in the black comedy film Bernie, directed by Richard Linklater, which premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival in June 2011. Luna's television credits include minor roles on Fox's serial drama Prison Break (2008), HBO's television film Temple Grandin (2010), Fox's drama-thriller Touch (2013), and CBS' action procedural drama NCIS: Los Angeles (2013).
In 2014, he was cast in the leading role of Tony Bravo on the El Rey Network television series Matador. The series premiered in July 2014 and ran for one season of 13 episodes, ending that October. That same year, he co-starred as Vinnie in the sports comedy Balls Out, which premiered at the Tribeca Film Festival in April 2014. Luna next recurred as Miguel Gilb, a former lover of Taylor Kitsch's character, on the second season of the HBO anthology drama series True Detective, appearing in 3 episodes. He then co-starred in the Julianne Moore and Ellen Page-led drama film Freeheld, directed by Peter Sollett, which premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2015.
Luna subsequently had a supporting role in the comedy film Gravy, directed by James Roday, which was released in October 2015. He was then cast as Paco Contreras, a detective searching for a serial killer on the Sunset Strip, on the ABC crime drama series Wicked City. The series premiered in October 2015, but was cancelled following its third episode; the remaining episodes were later released through Hulu.
The following year, he starred as border patrol agent Lance Flores in the thriller film Transpecos, opposite Clifton Collins, Jr. and Johnny Simmons. The film had its premiere at South by Southwest in March 2016. Luna next appeared as motorcycle racer Eddie Hasha in the Discovery Channel miniseries Harley and the Davidsons. In July of the same year, it was announced that he would join the cast of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in season 4 as Robbie Reyes / Ghost Rider. He was nominated for Choice TV: Action Actor at the 2017 Teen Choice Awards for his role as Ghost Rider. Luna will have a supporting role as Mr. Lawrence in the coming-of-age film Hala, alongside Jack Kilmer and Anna Chlumsky. In April 2018, he was cast as the villainous Terminator Rev-9 in Terminator: Dark Fate.
In 2019, it was announced that Luna would be reprising his role of Robbie Reyes / Ghost Rider from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in a television series centred on the character which will be released on Hulu to debut in 2020. On September 25, it was reported that Hulu had decided not to go forward on the series.
|2005||Fall to Grace||Kristofer Rostropovich|
|2010||Dance with the One||Nate Hitchins|
|2019||Terminator: Dark Fate||Rev-9|
|2008||Prison Break||Eduardo||Episode: "Dirt Nap"|
|2010||Temple Grandin||Student Wit||Television film; uncredited|
|2013||NCIS: Los Angeles||Geology Student||Episode: "Descent"|
|2014||Matador||Tony Bravo||13 episodes|
|2015||True Detective||Miguel Gilb||3 episodes|
|2015||Wicked City||Paco Contreras||8 episodes|
and the Davidsons
|Eddie Hasha||Episode: "Amazing Machine"|
|2016–2017||Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.||Robbie Reyes / Ghost Rider||Episodes
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,22 (season 4)
|2016||Rosewood||Eddie Lunez||Episode: "Eddie & the Empire State of Mind"|
|2017||Patti and Marina||Guy with Guitar||Episode: "Dating"|
|2009||Black Snow||Sergei Maxudov||Salvage Vanguard Theater|
|2009||Orestes||Orestes||The Off Center|
|2010||Endgame||Clov||Larry L. King Theatre|
Awards and nominations
|2010||Austin Critics Table Awards||Best Lead Actor||Black Snow / Orestes / Endgame||Won|||
|2016||Nashville Film Festival||Special Jury Award for Best Actor||Transpecos||Won|
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Action Actor||Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.||Nominated|||
- "Person Details for Gabriel Isaac Luna, "Texas, Birth Index, 1903-1997"". FamilySearch.
- "Davis Luna Obituary – Austin, TX". Austin American-Statesman. December 10, 2013.
- Hinckley, David (July 15, 2014). "The most dangerous game: in 'Matador,' Gabriel Luna plays an undercover agent who becomes a pro soccer player to trap an evil billionaire". New York Daily News.
- "Biography – Gabriel Luna (Eddy)". Spring Eddy Movie. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "Paper Chairs - About Us". Paper Chairs Theatre Company. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- Syam, Avimaan (July 10, 2009). "Black Snow: Tutto Theatre and Bulgakov's satire are a wonderful marriage of zany energy and deep meaning". The Austin Chronicle.
- Syam, Avimaan (August 14, 2009). "Orestes: Cambiare's Orestes is refreshingly fast but, tragically, a bit loose". The Austin Chronicle.
- Syam, Avimaan (January 29, 2010). "Endgame: Palindrome Theatre's debut squeezes all the meaning it can from Beckett's bleakness". The Austin Chronicle.
- Faires, Robert (June 11, 2010). "Culture Class: The 2009-2010 Austin Critics Table Awards". The Austin Chronicle.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 3, 2014). "Gabriel Luna Gets The Lead In El Rey Series 'Matador', From Bob Orci & Alex Kurtzman". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 28, 2014). "'Matador' Cancelled By El Rey Network After One Season". Deadline Hollywood.
- Dunaway, Michael (April 26, 2014). "Catching Up With the Writer, Director and Cast of Intramural". Paste.
- Widner, Cindy (June 19, 2015). "Austin native Gabriel Luna spills (a little) on season 2 of HBO's True Detective". The Austin Chronicle.
- Kroll, Justin (October 8, 2014). "'Matador's' Gabriel Luna Joins Ellen Page in 'Freeheld'". Variety.
- Kit, Borys (April 7, 2013). "'Psych' Star Directing Blood-Splattered Dark Comedy 'Gravy'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 11, 2015). "Gabriel Luna To Star In ABC's 'L.A. Crime'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (December 23, 2015). "Hulu Streaming Un-Aired Episodes of ABC's Canceled 'Wicked City'". Variety.
- Spencer, Jake (March 7, 2016). "Watch: Exclusive Clip from SXSW Premiere 'Transpecos' Leaves You in the Desert". IndieWire.
- Nordyke, Kimberly (March 17, 2016). "Discovery Channel Sets Premiere Date for Harley-Davidson Miniseries, Adds Three to Cast (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Bucksbaum, Sydney (July 22, 2016). "Comic-Con: 'Agents of SHIELD' Casts Ghost Rider for Season 4". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Swift, Andy (June 19, 2017). "Teen Choice Awards: Pretty Little Liars, The Flash Lead 2017 Nominations". TVLine.
- Kroll, Justin (November 29, 2017). "Newcomer Geraldine Viswanathan to Star in Overbrook's 'Hala'". Variety.
- Kit, Borys (April 13, 2018). "James Cameron's 'Terminator' Reboot Finds Its Star With Colombian Discovery". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Ramos, Dino-Ray (May 1, 2019). "Marvel And Hulu Set Live-Action 'Ghost Rider' And 'Helstrom' Series; Gabriel Luna To Reprise Role Of Robbie Reyes". Deadline. Retrieved May 2, 2019.
- Black, Kent (November 1, 2016). "On the Road Again". Palm Springs Life.
- Luna, Gabriel (February 2015). "Last night Smaranda Luna and I celebrated 4 years..." Instagram. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "Member Spotlight: Smaranda Luna". Backstage. March 19, 2015.