This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Governor of Benue State|
|Assumed office |
29 May 2007 - 29 May 2015
|Preceded by||George Akume|
|Succeeded by||Samuel Ortom|
|Born||15 November 1964|
Anyiin, Logo LGA of Benue State
Gabriel Suswam was born on 15 November 1964 in Anyiin, Logo Local Government Area of Benue State. In 1986, he was admitted into the Law Faculty of the University of Lagos. He obtained an LL.B degree in 1989, and the BL Certificate from the Nigerian Law School, Lagos in 1990. He was called to the Bar that year. He worked for other law firms from 1990–1994, while continuing his studies. In 1994 he launched his own law firm.
In 1999 election, he ran for office in the House of Representatives for the Katsina-Ala/Ukum/Logo Federal Constituency, and was elected on the People's Democratic Party (PDP) platform. He was appointed Chairman of the House Services Committee, and later Chairman, House Committee on FCT. He ran again, and was reelected in 2003. On 3 July 2003, he was appointed Chairman, House Committee on Appropriation, then in August, 2005 he was appointed Chairman, House Committee on Power.
In April 2007 he was elected Governor of Benue State.
In November 2009, he spoke in favor of automatic re-election of all political office holders who exemplified themselves in the discharge of their responsibilities. In a separate interview, he said politicking was the major factor militating against the development of the state since its creation.
Suswam ran for a second tenure in the 26 April 2011 gubernatorial elections on the PDP platform. He scored 590,776 votes, beating runner-up Professor Torkuma Ugba of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), who got 499,319 votes.
In 28 March 2015 general elections, Gabriel Torwua Suswam loss the senatorial seat election to Chief Barnabas Gemade of All Progressives Congress (APC).
Gabriel Suswam is married to architect Yemisi Suswam.
DSS detains ex-governor Suswam over SMG, AK-47, pistol: http://www.thekillerpunch.com/dss-detains-ex-governor-suswam-smg-ak-47-pistol/
- "Hon. Gabriel Suswam". Gabriel Suswam. Archived from the original on 7 June 2010. Retrieved 3 December 2009.
- "GOVERNOR GABRIEL SUSWAM OF BENUE STATE". Nigeria Governors' Forum. Retrieved 3 December 2009.
- "Governor Gabriel Suswam at 43". Government of Benue State of Nigeria. Retrieved 3 December 2009.
- Peter Duru (12 November 2009). "Suswam wants automatic re-election for political office holders". Vanguard. Retrieved 3 December 2009.
- Augustine Adah (22 November 2009). "The Formula That Has Worked for Benue". NewsWatch. Retrieved 3 December 2009.
- Uja Emmanuel (29 April 2011). "ACN kicks as Suswam wins". The Nation. Archived from the original on 27 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-29.