17 January 1943|
Rosignano Solvay, Tuscany, Italy
Gabriella Pescucci (Italian pronunciation: [ɡabriˌɛlla peˈskuttʃi]) (born 17 January 1943 in Rosignano Solvay, Tuscany) is an Italian costume designer. She has worked with directors Pier Paolo Pasolini, Federico Fellini, Sergio Leone, Terry Gilliam, Martin Scorsese, Tim Burton and Neil Jordan. In 1993, she won an Oscar for The Age of Innocence.
Gabriella Pescucci was born in Tuscany in the province of Livorno. She studied Art at Accademia, Florence. In 1966 moved to Rome with the express intention of becoming a costume designer for the cinema. She began her career as an assistant to Piero Tosi on the sets of Pasolini's Medea and Visconti's Death in Venice. Pescucci took her first steps in cinema with Giuseppe Patroni Griffi at the start of the 70s, designing costumes that took inspiration from paintings by Carpaccio and Leonardo.
Her international debut was in 1984 with Once Upon a Time in America, for which she won the first of her two BAFTA Awards, the second being for The Adventures of Baron Munchausen by director Terry Gilliam and production designer Dante Ferretti.
She received many other nominations and awards, among which a David di Donatello with The Name of the Rose and an Oscar for The Age of Innocence in 1993. Some of her most popular works include costume design on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Les Misérables and Agora.
In addition to her film and television work she has designed for the Opera, notably La Traviata at La Scala, Un ballo in maschera at the Kennedy Centre in Washington, D.C., and La bohème in Florence.
|1994||The 66th Academy Awards||TV Special|
|2001||Sergio Leone: Cinema, Cinema||TV Documentary|
|2002||Lost in La Mancha||TV Documentary starring Terry Gilliam and Johnny Depp|
|2005||Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: Designer Chocolate||TV Documentary|
|2010||XXIV Premios Anuales de la Academia||TV Special|
|Dante Ferretti: Italian Scenographer||TV Documentary|
- Ariola, Gianpiero. "Gabriella Pescucci Biografia". movieplayer (in Italian). Retrieved 9 Sep 2012.
- Masi, Stefano (1990). Italian film costume design and the other set design. L'Aquila: Aladdin Books. pp. 15–26(2°vol).
- Massuras, Caterina. "Gabriella Pescucci for Vogue Italy". vogue. Retrieved 9 Sep 2012.
- "Gabriella Pescucci Bio". IMDb Pro. Retrieved 6 Sep 2012.
- "Bafta Award Best Costume Design". BAFTA. Retrieved 9 Sep 2012.
- "Tirelli Costumi: 40 years of experience serving film and theatre". Tirelli-costumi. Retrieved 9 Sep 2012.
- "Gabriella Pescucci Filmografia". mymovies (in Italian). Retrieved 6 Sep 2012.
- "Gabriella Pescucci References". filmreference. Retrieved 9 Sep 2012.
- "Gabriella Pescucci personal details". IMDb Pro. Retrieved 6 Sep 2012.