Gackpoid V4 complete
|Developer(s)||Internet Co., Ltd.|
|Initial release||July 31, 2008|
Gackpoid V4 / April 30, 2015
|Operating system||Windows, OS X 10.8 or better|
|Type||Vocal Synthesizer Application|
Gackpoid (がくっぽいど Gakuppoido), is a software product developed by Internet Co., Ltd. for the Vocaloid software. His voice is sampled from Japanese singer and actor Gackt. The mascot of the software is called Camui Gackpo (神威 がくぽ Kamui Gakupo), after Gackt's alias name. Gackpo is sometimes referred to as Gackpo Camui or Gakupo Kamui, and usually referred to as Kamui Gakupo.
Gackpoid was developed by Internet Co., Ltd. using Yamaha Corporation's Vocaloid 2 synthesizer software as their first venture into the voice synthesizer industry. The initial version was released on July 31, 2008. The name "Gackpoid", meaning "Gackt-like Vocaloid", was chosen by Gackt himself during the voice recording process. Camui Gackpo, the software's mascot, was designed by manga artist Kentaro Miura (notable for manga Berserk) and chosen by Internet Co. from a pool of several competing designs.
V3 Gackpoid, an update to the original Gackpoid using the Vocaloid 3 synthesizer software, was released on July 13, 2012. It was released as a package with three different vocal tones: Native (the basic voice), Power, and Whisper.
On July 25, 2013, Internet Co., Ltd. announced that Mac OS X versions of all of their software, including Gackpoid, were in development using the Vocaloid Editor for Cubase NEO software for Macintosh. The OS X versions were rolled out as a free download for all registered users in October 2013, though Internet Co. advised users to choose only one version—Mac or Windows—due to only one license being available per user.
On December 2, 2014, Noboru Murakami, president of Internet Co., Ltd., stated that an update of Gackpoid from Vocaloid 3 to Vocaloid 4 was forthcoming, but declined to specify release dates or schedules. Gackpoid V4, an update to the voice library using the Vocaloid 4 synthesizer software, was released on April 30, 2015. It added growl samples to each of the three voice banks and contained general improvements to the V3 program.
Both Vocaloid 3 (once imported into the newer engine) and Vocaloid 4 versions of the software have access to the new Vocaloid 4 "Cross-Synthesis" system, though the vocals can only cross with their respect engine versions.
V3 Gackpoid and VY2v3 were also the focus of vol.4 of the Vocaloid-P data series.
|Name||Gackpoid (software) |
Camui Gackpo (mascot)
|Suggested Vocal Range||A1-C4 (NATIVE, POWER), A1-G3 (WHISPER)|
On June 12, 2009, Nico Nico Douga announced a "Gackpoid Contest", in partnership with Dwango and CELL, to encourage song creators to use Gackpoid for the creation of quality, original songs. Gackt had previously hinted at the contest on June 10 during a Nico Nico live broadcast challenge, where he announced that he would not appear in another broadcast until viewers created "spirited" music using the software in an upcoming competition. Competitors were asked to attach a "Gackpoid Contest" tag to their submitted videos in order to compete in the contest, which accepted submissions until the end of August. Finalist entries would be awarded 100,000 yen (US$1,220) each. Gackt promised viewers that he would choose one or more of the winning songs to cover for eventual recording and release.
On December 15, Nico Nico Douga aired a live broadcast announcing ten finalists for the contest, which would win "Excellence Prizes". The official winning entry was declared to be Episode.0, by mathru/Kanimiso-P, during the “NicoNico Daikaigi 2011 in Taiwan” event, where Gackt announced that Episode.0 and another finalist, natsu-P's Paranoid Doll, had been covered by him and would be released together as his thirty-ninth single. Kanimiso-P was awarded 300,000 yen (US$3,660) and the nine other Excellence Prize winners 100,000 yen. The single was released on July 13, 2011.
- "「がくっぽいど」7月末発売 "ニコ厨"漫画家・三浦建太郎さんのイラストで" ["Gackpoid" ready for an end of July release, with illustrations by Kentaro Miura]. ITmedia News (in Japanese). ITmedia Inc. 20 June 2008. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Gackt声のボーカロイドは、いかにして誕生したか" [How Gackt's vocaloid was conceptualized]. ASCII (in Japanese). 8 May 2008. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "エピソードII: キャラクターデザイン" [Episode 2: Character Design] (in Japanese). Internet Co., Ltd. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
-  IT Media News - コードネームは「勇馬」 ヤマハ純正のイケメンボカロ「VY2」の話を聞いてきた
- "待望の男性ボカロ誕生、V3版「がくっぽいど」開発秘話" [The long-awaited V3 "Gackpoid" - Behind-the-scenes look at the development]. DTM Station (in Japanese). 7 July 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "VOCALOID3 Library がくっぽいど COMPLETE" (in Japanese). Internet Co., Ltd. 13 July 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "プレス・リリース・ニュース（2013/07/25）" [Press Release News (2013/07/25)] (Press release). Internet Co., Ltd. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "INTERNET Talks Mac". Vocaloidism. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "「VOCALOID3 Megpoid」登録ユーザー向けにMac対応版ライブラリ無償提供開始" ["VOCALOID3 Megpoid" and other Mac-compatible versions provided free of charge to registered users]. Internet Watch (in Japanese). Impress Corporation. 9 September 2013. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "VOCALOIDTM3 のMacintosh対応について" (in Japanese). Internet Co., Ltd. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Noboru Murakami [@noboru1963] (2 December 2014). "@samth1815 We will update VOCALOID3 products to VOCALOID4, but I can't say specific schedule and which product we release frist [sic]. Thank you!" (Tweet). Retrieved 1 November 2015 – via Twitter.
- "日本を代表するアーティスト「GACKT」の声をベースに制作した、VOCALOID4専用歌声ライブラリ。" [VOCALOID4 dedicated voice library produced with GACKT for Gackpoid] (in Japanese). Internet Co., Ltd. 30 April 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Noboru Murakami [@noboru1963] (28 November 2012). "@aillily www がくぽ英語版もできるといいですね" [I hope I can also make Gackpoid English] (Tweet). Retrieved 1 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- Noboru Murakami [@noboru1963] (7 December 2012). "@adaje5 no problem. we can make English VB if it will be profitable. wouldn't worry" (Tweet). Retrieved 1 November 2016 – via Twitter.
- "VOCALOID 2「がくっぽいど」最新情報" [Latest Information - VOCALOID 2 "Gackpoid"]. Desk Top Music (DTM) Magazine (in Japanese). 24 June 2008. Archived from the original on 19 August 2009. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "ドワンゴ、ボーカル音源作成ソフト「がくっぽいど」を用いた「がくっぽいどコンテスト」を開催！" [DWANGO is holding a "Gackpoid Contest", using the "Gackpoid" vocal synthesizer software!]. MusicMaster.jp (in Japanese). 16 June 2009. Archived from the original on 16 March 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Gacktの挑戦状「がくっぽいどコンテスト」" [Gackt's Challenge: "Gackpoid Contest"]. ITmedia News (in Japanese). ITmedia Inc. 12 June 2009. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "ニコ動の＜がくっぽいどコンテスト＞が急展開。GACKT自らレコーディングを約束" ["Gackpoid Contest" suddenly announces top entries. GACKT personally promises recordings of the winner]. BARKS (in Japanese). Japan Music Network. 25 December 2009. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "GACKT ： ボカロ楽曲を"歌ってみた"シングル7月発売 ニコ動台湾イベントで発表" [GACKT: Vocaloid music single to be released in July - Nico Nico presentation at the Taiwan event] (in Japanese). 22 May 2011. Archived from the original on 25 May 2011. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "Gackpoid Contest Grand Prix Winner: KanimisoP's "Episode.0" (Updated)". Vocaloidism. 16 June 2011. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- "がくっぽいどコンテスト" [Gackpoid Contest] (in Japanese). Nico Nico Douga. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
- Official website (in Japanese)