|Born||8 November 1939 (age 81)|
|Practice||architect, designer, educator|
Gaetano Pesce (born 8 November 1939) is an Italian architect and a design pioneer of the 20th century. Mr. Pesce was born in La Spezia in 1939, and he grew up in Padua and Florence. During his 50-year career, Mr. Pesce has worked as an architect, urban planner, and industrial designer. His outlook is considered broad and humanistic, and his work is characterized by an inventive use of color and materials, asserting connections between the individual and society, through art, architecture, and design to reappraise mid-twentieth century modern life .
Mr. Pesce studied architecture at the University of Venice, with such notable teachers as Carlo Scarpa and Ernesto Rogers. Between 1958 and 1963, Mr. Pesce participated in Gruppo N, an early collective concerned with programmed art patterned after the Bauhaus. Since the 1960s, Gaetano Pesce has been known to relate art to the design of interiors, products, and architecture. The New York Times critic Herbert Muschamp described Mr. Pesce as "the architectural equivalent of a brainstorm."  Pesce's well known work includes Organic Building in Osaka, Japan, a Landmark vertical garden building designed to concealing a complex, computer-controlled hydration system to sustain plant growth, and the interior architecture of the Chiat/Day offices, an early workplace village modeled after urban life. Among Mr. Pesce's architecture achievements are Les Halles ACIH (1979) and Parc de la Villette (1985), Paris, France, a complex of forms shaped like a running child.
Mr. Pesce's prototypical three-dimensional models and architectural drawings are held in the permanent museum collections of MoMA, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the Cooper-Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum in New York City; the Philadelphia Museum of Art,PA; San Francisco Museum of Art, California; Victoria and Albert Museum, London; Vitra Design Museum, Germany; Danish Museum of Art & Design, Copenhagen; Centre Pompidou and Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris, France, and the Triennale Museum, Milan, Italy.
Architecture Projects, selected
- 1980: Late Entries to the Chicago Tribune Tower Competition II. 
- 1983: Project for rehabilitation of the Lingotto, Turin, Italy,for the Fiat group
- 1984: la Maison des enfants au Parc de la Villette, Paris, France 
- 1986: Hubin Apartment, Paris 
- 1991: TBWA\Chiat\Day Offices, New York 
- 1993: Organic Building, Osaka, Japan 
- 1994: Shuman Residence, New York 
- 1994: Art Gallery. Knokke-le-Zoute, Belgium
- 1994: Bahia House, Brazil 
Since the 1960s, Mr. Pesce has researched the function and form of utilitarian and decorative objects, including furniture, jewelry, and shoes, from the perspective of human emotion, environment, and production. Mr. Pesce is known for innovative high-minded modern design with wit and style. Mr. Pesce has challenged accepted standards of abstraction, uniformity, and homogeneity. On the architect designer, critic Susan Slesin wrote, "For Gaetano Pesce, to be modern is to face the world squarely and use design as a means to comment on it. Mr. Pesce has expanded the established notions of Modernism through the creation functional, imperfect, and warm product design. He connects art and society to design through organic form, for production by B&B Italia (formerly C & B Italia), Vitra, Cassina, and fabric design, such as People (1987), composed of 570 different figures, all of which incorporate ideas about variation and diversity in contemporary society.
Pesce's iconic feminist armchair - a fulsome bulbous form and attached ball-shaped ottoman - alternately referred to as La Mamma, Big Mama, Donna, and Up chair - continues to inspire interpretation nearly 50 years after its creation. According to curator and author of SuperDesign, Maria Cristina Didero, "Pesce wanted to produce something about the condition of women in the world. The chair can be read as the mother, and the stool her child. But it could also be a ball and chain [suggesting] woman and the prison she was obliged to live in."
Mr. Pesce is perhaps best known for his work with resin, molds, and casting techniques used to create objects, including vases, chairs, lamps and the two-dimensional reliefs that the designer calls “industrial skins.” Since 1987, he has infused ordinary materials with experimental additives, such as liquid plant resin, and worked with foam and urethane, simplify the manufacturing processes and adapt limited industrial capabilities. Pesce credits the early influence of his student work with three venerable Murano glassmakers — Moretti, Vistosi, and Venini — whose casting techniques for informing his label-defying works of sculpture, furniture, vessels and paintings. Even Pesce's own experimentation in glassmaking has led to inventive techniques and highly original results. Mr. Pesce has even used urethane resin to create necklaces, bracelets, brooches, and rings.
For Mr. Pesce, the design and development of portable goods have always incorporated craft-specialization, history, humor, and the human need for connection. Mr. Pesce's industrial design techniques such as diversified series production is a process by which he experiments with materials using a craft manufacturing sensibility applied to mass production methodology. On the production line, for example, factory workers vary proportions to produce a series of objects with a "one of a kind" quality.
Socio-political messaging is found in Mr. Pesce's collections, such as "Nobody’s Perfect" (2002) by Zerodisegno, and the 2010 series of irregularly shaped tables for Cassina, which together form the recognizable shape of a boot shape, commemorating the 150th Anniversary of the Unification of Italy, and celebrate human diversity and connection, as well as one-of-a-kind pieces like “America Table” (2012), with a red-white-and-blue resin tabletop American flag supported on letters that spell “independence,” and “Verbal Abuse” (1994), a tall, grided lamp that bends forward with attachable weights.
Mr. Pesce's unconventional mixed-media industrial design and organic forms collected in major museums across the world ascribe the work to the realm of art. A 2014 retrospective exhibition The Time of Diversity at the MAXXI, National Museum of the 21st Century Arts, Rome, charted the artfulness of Pesce's product design from the 1960s to the present. Recent exhibitions such as “What it is to be Human,” at The Peninsula Chicago, Art Basel in Hong Kong, and an artist-in-resident program at Peninsula Beijing, all featuring works by Gaetano Pesce that expand the renown artist and architect's history of public commitment to the arts. In 2016, Pesce unveiled a site-specific sculpture "Majesty Betrayed" in Piazza Santa Maria Novella. The monumental female figure wrapped in a long cloak by Pesce was inspired by the Christian Maestà iconography of the Madonna on the Throne - the highly venerated Madonna Rucellai by Duccio di Boninsegna (1285), in Santa Maria Novella and later moved in the twentieth century the Uffizi. Pesce's sculpture entitled "Porta Ritratti" (2018) for the Milan Fuorisalone was exhibited at the entrance of the Brera Academy of Fine Arts, and later, the 13th edition of Design Miami / Basel. The ambitious installation - a chair measuring over 13-feet (4-meters) high representing 20 human faces - according to Pesce, " is a Trojan horse that penetrates the Rocca dell'Arte making victims among the old mentality." The work is another compelling tribute to cultural diversity within society.
Gallery and museum exhibitions
- 1975: Gaetano Pesce, Le futur est peut-être passé = Gaetano Pesce, The future is perhaps past : Centre de Création Industrielle, Etablissement Public du Centre Beaubourg, Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris 
- 1983: Gaetano Pesce : a Yale School of Architecture Exhibition.
- 1986: Gaetano Pesce 1975-1985. Strasbourg Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, France.
- 1988: Gaetano Pesce: Drawings, Models, Prototypes. Max Protetch Gallery, New York 
- 1988: Modern Times Again. Steelcase Design Partnership, New York, N.Y.
- 1989: Gaetano Pesce: Steelcase design partnership. Max Protech Galleryt, New York 
- 1989: Gaetano Pesce : produire industriellement la différence. UQAM, Centre de design,Montréal, Canada 
- 1991: Gaetano Pesce. Collaborative Exhibition. Tel Aviv Museum of Art, Israel; Peter Joseph Gallery, New York
- 1996: Gaetano Pesce Le temps des questions, retrospective. Forum of the Centre Pompidou, Paris, France.
- 1997: Gaetano Pesce, Material Connection, New York, N.Y.
- 1997: Currents 69: GAETANO PESCE. Saint Louis Art Museum, Saint Louis, MO.
- 1997: Gaetano Pesce. The Gallery Mourmans, Zoute 
- 1998: The presence of objets--Gaetano Pesce. Montreal Museum of Decorative Arts
- 1999: Gaetano Pesce: The Presence of the Objects. Columbia GSAPP, Temple Hoyne Buell Center for the Study of American Architecture.
- 2002: Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Louvre Museum, Paris, France.
- 2005: Gaetano Pesce: Pushing the Limits. Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA.
- 2005: Gaetano Pesce: Il rumore del tempo. Triennale di Milano, Milan, Italy.
- 2005: H2O. Gaetano Pesce. Institut Valencià d'Art Modern (IVAM) 
- 2007: Pink Pavilion di Gaetano Pesce, Triennale di Milano, Milan, Italy 
- 2010: Gaetano Pesce: Pieces from a Larger Puzzle. Italian Cultural Institute of Los Angeles, California.
- 2011: L’Italia in Croce di Gaetano Pesce. Venice BiennaleItalian Pavilion, Italian Cultural Institute of New York.
- 2013: Gaetano Pesce: L'Abbraccio. Fred Torres Collaborations, New York 
- 2013: Gaetano Pesce Retrospective. Collective.1 Design Fair, Pier 57, New York, N.Y.
- 2014: Gaetano Pesce: Il tempo della diversità. una retrospettiva, MAXXI, National Museum of the 21st Century Arts, Rome.
- 2014:Transforming Reality: Italian Design Innovation and Fantasy. Eagle Gallery, Cafesjian Museum of Art, Armenia 
- 2014: Gaetano Pesce: Retrospective. Sotheby's Gallery Charpentier, Paris, France.
- 2015: Frammenti e figure architettoniche ai quattro angoli del mondo. Galleria Antonia Jannone, Milano, Italy.
- 2015: Gaetano Pesce: ‘One of a Kind Iconic Works, 1967-2015. Allouche Gallery, New York 
- 2015: Gaetano Pesce: For Her. Reinstein Ross Gallery, 30 Gansevoort Street, NYC 
- 2015: Performance nell’installazione : La Cucina Luogo di Passione. Triennale Design Museum, Milan, Italy.
- 2015: Gaetano Pesce: Frammenti e figure architettoniche ai quattro angoli del mondo. Galleria Antonia Jannone, Milan, Italy 
- 2016: Fish Design, Maison & Objet, Paris 
- 2016: Gaetano Pesce: Molds (Gelati Misti) MOCA Pacific Design Center, Los Angeles
- 2016: Gaetano Pesce 'Gli Armadi Parlanti' ('The Speaking Cabinets') Salon 94, Design Miami
- 2017: Gaetano Pesce : architettura e fugurazione. Complesso Museale di Palazzo Ducale, Mantua, Italy
- 2019: Gaetano Pesce: Workingallery, Salon 94 Design, New York
- 2019: Gaetano Pesce: Age of Contaminations. Friedman Benda, New York
Group Exhibitions and programs
- 1972: The New Domestic Landscape: Achievements and Problems of Italian Design. The Museum of Modern Art, May 26 to September 11, 1972.
- 1975: The Future Is Perhaps Past. Musée des Arts Décoratifs, Paris, France.
- 1979: Transformations in Modern Architecture. MoMA, New York.
- 1981: Furniture by architects : contemporary chairs, tables and lamps. Hayden Gallery, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.
- 1986: L'eau en formes (Water forms): Vittel Design 86. Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France.
- 1991: Masterworks. Peter Joseph Gallery, New York.
- 1995: Mutant Materials in Contemporary Design. Museum of Modern Art, New York, N.Y.
- 1997: Designed for Delight: Alternative aspects of twentieth-century decorative arts, travel exhibition.
- 2002: Mod to Memphis : design in colour 1960s-80s. Powerhouse Pub, Sydney 
- 2003: Inside Design Now. Triennial of the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York, New York.
- 2003: US Design: 1975-2000, travel exhibition. Denver Art Museum, Denver, Colorado; Memphis Brooks Museum of Art, Memphis, Tennessee. Bass Museum of Art, Miami;
- 2008: Formless Furniture. Museum of Applied Arts, Vienna 
- 2008: Dreamland: Architectural Experiments Since the 1970s. MoMA, New York, N.Y.
- 2012: Design Miami. 
- 2013: Pop Art Design. Moderna Museet, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2016: Tempting Art: Edible gems. Whitechapel Gallery, Musée d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean, Luxembourg 
- 2015: New Territories: Laboratories for Design, Craft and Art in Latin America, Museum of Arts and Design 
- 2015: Kitchens & Invaders. VIII Triennale Design Museum, Viale Emilio Alemagna. Milan, Italy.
- 2019: Objects of Desire: Surrealism and Design 1924 - Today. Vitra Design Museum, Weil am Rhein, Germany.
For 28 years, Mr. Pesce taught architectural design at the Institut National des Sciences Appliquées (INSA) (National Institute of Applied Sciences), Strasbourg, France; Domus Academy, Milan, Italy; City University of Hong Kong, China; Escola da Cidade, (AEAUSP), (Architectural School of São Paulo), Brazil; Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio; and in New York, since 1980, at the Cooper Union.
- 1975: Special Prize: Genesi? Fourth International Lighting Design Competition
- 1993: Chrysler Design Award for Innovation and Design. 
- 1995: Interior Design Magazine Award for Umbrella chair. 
- 2004: Good Design Award. The Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture And Design 
- 2005: Collab's Design Excellence Award. Philadelphia Museum of Art 
- 2006: Designer of the Year. A&W Architektur und Wohnens, Cologne, Germany 
- 2009: Lawrence J. Israel Prize. Interior Design Department of the Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, N.Y.
- 2010: IIC Lifetime Achievement Award. Italian Cultural Institute of Los Angeles 
- Gaetano Pesce: A Yale School of architecture Exhibition, New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983.
- Maeira Yagid-Haimovich, Gaetano Pesce: Multi-Disciplinary Work, Tel Aviv; New York: Tel Aviv Museum of Art and Peter Joseph Gallery, 1991.
- Gaetano Pesce: Cinq Techniques Pour La Verre, Marseille: Musee de Marseille, 1992.
- Gaetano Pesce: Le Temps des Questions, Paris: Centre G. Pompidou, 1996.
- Gaetano Pesce, Belgium: The Gallery Mourmans, 1997.
- Marisa Bartolucci and Raul Cabra, Gaetano Pesce, San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 2003.
- Il Rumore del . Tempo Gaetano Pesce, Milan: Carta; Triennale di Milano, 2004-2005.
- Maria Luisa Caffarelli, Gaetano Pesce "Nobody's perfect": plastica e design, Alessandria, Italy: Citta di Alessandria, 2005.
- Silvana Annicchiarico, Gaetano Pesce: Pink Pavillion, Milan: Electa; Triennale di Milan, 2008.
- Francesca Valente, Gaetano Pesce: Pieces from a Larger Puzzle, 2010
- Gaetano Pesce: Six Tables on Water, David Gill, 2012.
- Gianni Mercurio and Domitilla Dardi, Gaetano Pesce: Il Tempo Della Diversità: catalogo della mostra, Milan: Electa, 2014.
- Carlo Martino, Gaetano Pesce: Materia e differnza, Marsilio, 2007.
- Sparke, Penny (1998). A century of design: design pioneers of the 20th century. ISBN 978-0764151224. OCLC 39637847.
- "The Collection: Gaetano Pesce Italian, born 1939". MoMA.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Garnier, Philippe (2017). Gaetano Pesce: réinventer le monde sensible (in French). Paris: Buchet Chastel. ISBN 9782283028292. OCLC 972263489.
- Vanlaethem, France (1989). Gaetano Pesce: architetturadesignarte (in Italian). Milano: Idea Books. ISBN 978-8870170733. OCLC 875785359.
- Vanlaethem, France; Pesce, Gaetano; Pesce, Gaetano; Pesce, Gaetano (1989). Gaetano Pesce: architecture, design, art. New York: Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0847810864. OCLC 636098890.
- Bartolucci, Marisa (2003). Gaetano Pesce. San Francisco: Chronicle Books. ISBN 978-0811837880. OCLC 475042307.
- Martino, Carlo (2007). Gaetano Pesce: materia e differenza (in Italian). Venezia: Marsilio. ISBN 9788831789288. OCLC 187980569.
- Schuldenfrei, Robin (2012). Atomic dwelling: anxiety, domesticity, and postwar architecture. Abingdon, Oxon; New York: Routledge. ISBN 9780415676083. OCLC 707965989.
- Perry, Amy (May 8, 2013). "The Legendary Gaetano Pesce on Work and Life". The New York Times.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Kuramata, Shirō (1991). Gaetano Pesce: some works from 1969-1990. Tokyo: Gallery·Ma. OCLC 48816683.
- Muschamp, Herbert (October 16, 1994). "It's A Mad Mad Mad Ad World". The New York Times.
- Turner, Gavin; Myerson, Jeremy (1998). New Workspace, New Culture: Office Design as a Catalyst for Change. Gower Publishing Company. pp. 144 pages. ISBN 978-0566080289.
- Vanlaethem, France (1989). Gaetano Pesce : architecture, design, art. New York: Rizzoli. pp. 126 pages : illustrations (some color), 30 cm. ISBN 978-0847810864.
- "Gaetano Pesce". The Centre Pompidou.
- "UP5 & UP6 Donna (1969): Gaetano Pesce". The Vitra Museum. 1982.
- "Collections: Gaetano Pesce". Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- reddot online (2006-02-07). "Gaetano Pesce is AW Ontwerper van het Jaar". Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-03-27.
- "Gaetano Pesce Italian 1939, La Spezia, Italy". www.sfmoma.org.
- "Gaetano Pesc". collection.cooperhewitt.org.
- Gaetano Pesce: Architecture, Design, Art (1st ed.). United States of America: Rizzoli International Publications. 1989. ISBN 978-0847810864.
- "The Collection: Gaetano Pesce". MoMA. The Museum of Modern Art.
- Aa.Vv. (2012). 100 objects of italian design La Triennale di Milano: Permanent Collection of Italian Design, The Milan Triennale. Gangemi Editore. ISBN 9788849247060.
- Didero, Maria Cristina (August 28, 2014). "The value of imperfection". Domus.
- Barzilay, Marianne; Lombard - Valentino, Lucette; Hayward, Catherine (1984). L'Invention Du Parc : Parc De La Villette, Paris, Concours International; Parc De La Villette, Paris [International competition, 1982 - 1983]. Paris: Graphite / E.P.P.V.
- Hayat, Yves J (1993). Gaetano Pesce : la maison Hubin. Paris: Galerie Catherine et Stéphane de Beyrie.
- Lieber, Ronald B. (December 9, 1996). "Cool Offices Blowing Out Your Walls and Gettng Rid of Private Offices Is A Great Way To Eencourge Teamwork; Just Be Sure to Respect People's Need for Peace and Quiet". Fortune Magazine. Archived from the original on 2014-07-12. Retrieved 2018-01-24.
- "Gaetano Pesce retrospective opens in NYC". Archinet News. May 2013.
- Ballen, Sian; Hauge, Lesley (November 9, 2012). "Ruth Shuman". New York Social Diary.
- Sutherland, Jim (March 22, 2013). "20 Odd Questions: Gaetano Pesce". The Wall Street Journal.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Celant, Germano (1990). Creativitalia: the joy of Italian design. Milano; Tōkyō: Electa ; Hatsubaimoto Kureativitaria Jikkō Iinkai. OCLC 26402623.
- Slesin, Suzanne (November 10, 1988). "Modern Notions Of Design: The Furniture of Gaetano Pesce". The New York Times.
- Sutherland, Jim (March 23, 2013). "Gaetano Pesce: the provocative Italian architect and designer on his history of doing things 'badly'-on purpose, of course". The Wall Street Journal.
- Casciani, Stefano (2016). The long life of design in Italy: B & B Italia 50 years and beyond. Milano: Skira Editore. ISBN 9788857231808. OCLC 990773592.
- Hudson, Jennifer (2008). Process: 50 product designs from concept to manufacture. London: Laurence King. ISBN 9781856695411. OCLC 191856123.
- Braddock, Sarah; O'Mahony, Marie (1994). Textiles and new Technology 2010. London: Artemis. ISBN 978-1874056089. OCLC 929911867.
- Edgar, Ray (2018-02-26). "Melbourne Design Week celebrates a feverish period for Italy's radicals". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Williams, Gareth (2006). The furniture machine: furniture since 1990. London: V & A. ISBN 9781851774944. OCLC 70672622.
- Viladas, Pilar. "The Legendary Designer Gaetano Pesce Wrings Feminism Out of Furniture". W Magazine. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Barbero, Luca Massimo; Claudia Gian Ferrari studio di consulenza per il '900 italiano (Milan, Italy); Caterina Tognon Arte Contemporanea (Venice, Italy) (2008). Yalos: why glass?. Milan; New York: Charta. ISBN 9788881586691. OCLC 226976604.
- "MOCA Pacific Design Center Honors "Disruptor" Artist Gaetano Pesce". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "gaetano pesce's five glassmaking techniques at murano glass museum". designboom | architecture & design magazine. 2017-06-02. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Gaetano Pesce unveils a new line of jewelry | Architectural Digest". Architectural Digest. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Viladas, Pilar (June 23, 2002). "What's the Big Idea?". The New York Times.
- Giovannini, Joseph (March 26, 2015). "Gaetano Pesce: 'One-of-a-Kind Iconic Works, 1967-2015". NY Times Art & Design.
- "Sensantunna". Cassina.
- Miller, Judith (2012). Miller's 20th century design: the definitive illustrated sourcebook. London: Mitchell beazley. ISBN 9781845337230. OCLC 812809113.
- Manuelli, Sara (July 24, 2014). "Design maverick Gaetano Pesce explores diversity in a retrospective at the Maxxi Museum, Rome".
- "Sponsored: The Peninsula Chicago Showcases Gaetano Pesce". Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Gaetano Pesce ad Art Basel con la 'Sedia Porta Ritratti' | Pambianco Design". design.pambianconews.com (in Italian). Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Corda, Sara (2017). Gaetano Pesce: Murano : cinque tecniche per il vetro (in Italian). Foggia: C. Grenzi. ISBN 9788884316653. OCLC 989139543.
- Bosoni, Giampiero; Museum of Modern Art (New York, N.Y.) (2008). Italian design. New York; Milan; New York: MoMA ; 5 Continents Editions ; Distributed in the United States and Canada by D.A.P./Distributed Art Publishers. ISBN 9780870707384. OCLC 216939341.
- Guide sommaire a travers le Musée des arts décoratifs. Lahure. 1905. doi:10.5479/sil.386901.39088006374375.
- Martin, Douglas (April 22, 1984). "Spring In La Cite". The New York Times: Travel.
- Gaetano Pesce : a Yale School of Architecture Exhibition, October 31-December 2, 1983. New Haven, Conn. : Yale School of Architecture. 1983.
- Pesce, Gaetano (1986). "Gaetano Pesce, 1975-1985: Musée d'art moderne de Strasbourg, 29 mai-17 août 1986". Strasbourg: Le Musée. OCLC 192378148. Cite journal requires
- Prina, Daniela (2016). Pesce, Gaetano (1939–). The Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Design. doi:10.5040/9781472596154-bed-p035. ISBN 9781472596154.
- Slesin, Suzanne (November 10, 1988). "Modern Notions Of Design: The Furniture of Gaetano Pesce". The New York Times: Home & Garden.
- Prina, Daniela (2016). Pesce, Gaetano (1939–). The Bloomsbury Encyclopedia of Design. doi:10.5040/9781472596154-bed-p035. ISBN 9781472596154.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Vanlaethem, France; Université du Québec à Montréal; Centre de design (1989). Gaetano Pesce: produire industriellement la différence (in French). Montréal: UQAM, Centre de design. OCLC 77662781.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Tel Aviv Museum of Art (1991). Gaetano Pesce. Tel Aviv: Tel Aviv Museum of Art. OCLC 938812067.
- "Architecture and Design". www.tamuseum.org.
- "Gaetano Pesce : Le temps des questions". www.centrepompidou.fr.
- Ward, Timothy Jack (October 16, 1997). "Currents: GAETANO PESCE -- Somewhere Over the Rainbow". The New York Times: Home & Garden.
- Gabriel, Jean-Pierre; Hesmerg, Erik (1997). Gaetano Pesce. OCLC 986998462.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Musée des arts décoratifs de Montréal (1998). The presence of objets--Gaetano Pesce. Montreal: Montreal Museum of Decorative Arts. OCLC 51537521.
- Pesce, Gaetano (1999). Columbia University. Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation; Temple Hoyne Buell Center for the Study of American Architecture (eds.). "Gaetano Pesce, the presence of objects". OCLC 642574824. Cite journal requires
- Hiesinger, Curator, Kathryn (October 21, 2005). "Gaetano Pesce's Design is Subject of 'Pushing the Limits' at Philadelphia Museum of Art: November 18 through April 9, 2006,". Philadelphia Museum of Art.
- "Gaetano Pesce: Il rumore del tempo". Triennale di Milano. 2005.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Annicchiarico, Silvana (2005). Il rumore del tempo: Gaetano Pesce (in Italian). Milano: Charta. ISBN 978-8881585182. OCLC 930389246.
- Obrist, Hans-Ulrich; Pesce, Gaetano (2005). Gaetano Pesce: 14 Aprile 2005, Triennale, Milano, Italia; [intervista. Milano: Domus. OCLC 315730881.
- Gaetano Pesce. Valencia: IVAM, Institut Valencià d'Art Modern : Generalitat Valenciana, Conselleria de Cultura, Educació. 2005.
- "Pink Pavilion di Gaetano Pesce". La Triennale di Milano. 2007.
- Annicchiarico, Silvana; Pesce, Gaetano (2008). Pink pavilion: Gaetano Pesce. Milano: Electa. ISBN 9788837059804. OCLC 890612055.
- "GAETANO PESCE: PIECES FROM A LARGER PUZZLE". ISTITUTO ITALIANO DI CULTURA LOS ANGELES. 2010.
- Hodge, Brooke (July 8, 2010). "Seeing Things: Gaetano Pesce in L.A." New York Times Magazine.
- "PADIGLIONE ITALIA NEL MONDO-VENICE BIENNALE 2011: Gaetano Pesce and Angelo Filomeno exhibition". IICNew York. Italian Cultural Institute in New York.
- Zandardi, Eva (October 3, 2011). "Gaetano Pesce and Angelo Filomeno, An Exhibition On view at La Galleria, Italian Cultural Institute of New York". The Italian Cultural Institute of New York.
- "Fred Torres Gallery". Archived from the original on 2015-11-28.
- Hanley, William (March 29, 2013). "Exhibition: Gaetano Pesce: L'Abbraccio". Architectural Record.
- Perry, Amy (May 8, 2013). "The Legendary Gaetano Pesce on Work and Life". The New York Times Style magazine.
- Fondazione MAXXI. "Gaetano Pesce. The time of diversity: 26 June 2014 - 5 October 2014". MAXXI: Museo Nazionale Delle Arti Del XXI Secolo.
- Manuelli, Sara (July 24, 2014). "Design maverick Gaetano Pesce explores diversity in a retrospective at the Maxxi Museum, Rome". Wallpaper.
- "Transforming Reality: Italian Design Innovation and Fantasy". Cafesjian Center for the Arts. 2014.
- "Sotheby's: Gaetano Pesce". Domus. 2014.
- ""Scraps and sketches from all over the world", drawings by Gaetano Pesce". bmiaa.com.
- Giovannini, Joseph (April 16, 2015). "Gaetano Pesce: 'One of a Kind Iconic Works, 1967-2015". The New York Times.
- "Gaetano Pesce: For Her". Reinstein Ross Gallery. 2015.
- "Performance nell'installazione "La Cucina. Luogo di passione" di Gaetano Pesce". triennale.org.
- ""Scraps and sketches from all over the world", drawings by Gaetano Pesce". BMIAA. April 30, 2015.
- Pesce, Gaetano. "Fish Design - Hall 7 — Stand G175". Maison&Objet Paris 2015.
- "Gaetano Pesce: Molds (Gelati Misti)". The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- "Gaetano Pesce's Show "Gelati Misti" Isn't About Ice Cream | Architectural Digest". Architectural Digest. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Magazine, Wallpaper* (2016-12-01). "Above the tree tops: Gaetano Pesce branches out at Design Miami". Wallpaper*. Retrieved 2018-05-29.
- Pesce, Gaetano; Mazzantini, Renata Cristina; Palazzo ducale (Museum : Mantua, Italy) (2017). Gaetano Pesce: architettura e fugurazione (in Italian). ISBN 9788884316660. OCLC 989146259.
- "Salon 94 Design". Salon 94 Design. Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- "Gaetano Pesce: Age of Contaminations - Exhibitions - Friedman Benda". www.friedmanbenda.com. Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- Benyamin, Jasmine (September 2014). "Reviewed Work: Environments and Counter Environments. "Italy: The New Domestic Landscape," MoMA, 1972". Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians. 73 (3): 436–437. doi:10.1525/jsah.2014.73.3.436. JSTOR 10.1525/jsah.2014.73.3.436.
- Shaw, Elizabeth (May 26, 1972). "Italy: The New American Landscape" (26). The Museum of Modern Art.
- Architecture on Film. "Italy – The New Domestic Landscape, MoMA, 1972 + Q&A with Gaetano Pesce and Peter Lang: Thurs 28 November 2013, 7pm". The Architecture Foundation. Missing or empty
- Bartolucci, Marisa; Cabra, Raul (2003). Gaetano Pesce: Compact Design Portfolio. Chronicle Books LLC. p. 96. ISBN 9780811837880.
- Furniture by architects: contemporary chairs, tables and lamps : Emilio Ambasz, Elizabeth Diller, James Evanson, Frank Gehry, Michael Graves, Craig Hodgetts, Arata Isozaki, Mike Lance, Rodolfo Machado, Vico Magistretti, Robert Mangurian, Richard Meier, Gaetano Pesce, Jorge Silvetti, Stanley Tigerman, Billie Tsien, Tod Williams : [exhibition] Hayden Gallery, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, May 16 - June 28, 1981. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Committee on the Visual Arts. 1981. OCLC 312646460.
- "Histoire du CENTRE GEORGES POMPIDOU : Chronologies".[permanent dead link]
- Joseph, Peter T; Rybczynski, Witold; Danto, Arthur C; Peter Joseph Gallery (1991). Masterworks: [exhibition] Peter Joseph Gallery, New York, 1991. New York: The Gallery. ISBN 978-0962884924. OCLC 25495921.
- Antonelli, Paola, ed. (1995). Mutant Materials in Contemporary Design. New York: Museum of Modern Art. ISBN 978-0870701320.
- Eidelberg, Ed., Martin P. (1997). Designed for delight: alternative aspects of twentieth-century decorative arts. Flammarion. p. 320. ISBN 978-2080135957.
- Dorigato, A.; Klein, D.; Mentasti, R.B. "International new glass 1998 : Venezia aperto vetro". Milan: Electa. OCLC 40471050. Cite journal requires
- Watson, Anne; Powerhouse Museum (2002). Mod to Memphis: design in colour 1960s-80s. Sydney: Powerhouse Pub.
- Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. "Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum Presents Second "National Design Triennial: Inside Design Now" Reviews Cutting-edge U.S. Design of Past Three Years". cdn.cooperhewitt.org.
- Muschamp, Herbery (April 25, 2003). "Design Review : The National Design Triennial, A Frontier Spirit in Anxious Times". The New York Times: Art & Design.
- Villarreal, Ignacio (2004). "The Brooks Presents US DESIGN, 1975-2000". Art Daily.
- Johnson, Ken (August 8, 2003). "Art Review: Elegance, Wit and Pop in a Quarter-Century of American Design". The New York Times: Art & Design.
- Hamilton, William L. (June 19, 2003). "Trading Baskets For Plastics". The New York Times: Home & Garden.
- "Formless Furniture". .museum-gestaltung.ch.
- Brake, Alan G. (September 3, 2008). "Fitful Sleep Dreamland: Architectural Experiments Since the 1970s". The Architect's Newspaper.
- Lasky, Julie (December 12, 2012). "After the Boom, a Better Kind of Art". The New York Times.
- "Pop Art and Pop Art Design, the Nexus of What was Radical and New". Art Tatler. June 29, 2013.
- Galante, Maurizio; Lancman, Tal; Musée d'Art Moderne Grand-Duc Jean (2016). Tempting art edible gems. Luxembourg: Mudam. ISBN 9782919923595. OCLC 961320283.
- "New Territories Laboratories for Design, Craft and Art in Latin America November 4, 2014 to April 5, 2015". madmuseum.or.
- "VIII Triennale Design Museum; Kitchen Invaders". Tiennale di Milano. April 9, 2015.
- "Objects of Desire: Surrealism and Design". www.design-museum.de. Retrieved 2020-01-29.
- Vanlaethem, France (1989). Architecture, design, art (1. publ. in the United States of America. ed.). New York: Rizzoli. ISBN 978-0847810864.
- Chrysler design awards homepage Archived 2007-04-04 at the Wayback Machine
- "Gaetano Pesce Biography". Artnet.
- "Good Design Awards". Archived from the original on 2014-06-06.
- Press release Archived 2006-09-14 at the Wayback Machine
- "Interior Design Department 2009 Lawrence J. Israel Prize: Gaetano Pesce". The Fashion Institute of Technology. June 2009.
- "PADIGLIONE ITALIA NEL MONDO-VENICE BIENNALE 2011: October 03, 2011". Italian Cultural Institute of New York. October 3, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gaetano Pesce.|