Gaffney High School
|Gaffney High School|
149 Twin Lake Road
South Carolina, 29341
|School district||Cherokee County School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Quincie L. Moore|
|Principal||Dr. RaaShad Fitzpatrick|
|Color(s)||Black and Vegas Gold|
|Rival||James F. Byrnes High School|
|Newspaper||The Indian Post|
The entrance to Gaffney High School, February 2006
Gaffney High School is a public high school in Gaffney, South Carolina, United States, and is part of the Cherokee County School District. It is located at 149 Twin Lake Road. The school was founded in 1924. Prior to 2000, the school was located at 805 East Frederick Street, 2.5 miles away. It enrolls about 2,100 students. Gaffney is the 14th largest high school in South Carolina.
The principal is Dr. RaaShad Fitzpatrick.
The percentage of 2004 graduates entering post-secondary education was 60%.
The school has 97 classrooms, and six computer labs.
The size of the campus is 63 acres (250,000 m2).
- 7 administrators
- 124 teachers
- 21 support staff members
- 5 guidance counselors
- 73 teachers with a master's degree or above
- The Media Center has two media specialists and one DELC Coordinator.
- 82% of students passed HSAP ELA on first attempt in spring 2006.
- 80.8% of students passed HSAP math on first attempt in spring 2006.
- 94% of student athletes passed HSAP in spring 2006.
- More than $30,000,000 was awarded in academic scholarships for the 2002/2006 graduating class.
The high school building was opened at its 65-acre (260,000 m2) campus in 2000 at a cost of $22 million. Faulty construction work led to the district suing the bonding company, architects and construction company. The district received a $10 million settlement, $6 million of it for replacing brickwork and $4 million for mediation and architectural fees.
Extracurricular activities include Gaffney High Band of Gold, Jazz Band, Brass Ensemble, Wind Ensemble, Robotics Team, Concert Band, Concert Choir, boys' and girls' track, boys' and girls' soccer, boys' and girls' cross country, boys' and girls' tennis, boys' and girls' basketball, boys' golf, girls' softball, boys' baseball, football, cheerleading, JROTC, volleyball, swimming, wrestling, Miss Cherokean Pageant, Mr. GHS, Gospel Choir, and Step Team.
Clubs include the Writing Club, Green Teens, Model UN, Drama Club, Delta Society, Kappa Society, Spanish Club, and French Club.
Achievements and awards
Awards received by Gaffney High School include:
- South Carolina's Palmetto's Finest Award
- 2002-2003 Red Carpet School
- Annual Regional Science Fair Winners/International Science Fair
- Odyssey of the Mind World Champions, 1997
- Odyssey of the Mind State Champions, 2001-2002
- 2000-2001 Schools of Promise Flagship Award, renewal of status in 2003
Gaffney High School's athletic teams have won AAAA state championships. Its boys' varsity basketball team won this honor six times (in the 2002-2003 season, the 2003-2004 season, the 2004-2005 season, the 2005-2006 season, the 2009-2010 season and the 2011-2012 season); its boys' golf team won the same award in 2003; and its varsity football team was the AAAA State Champion in 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2012.
- The football team has the most South Carolina High School League State Football Championships, with a total of 17.
- 2003, 2005, 2006 and 2012 Big 16 AAAA football State Champions. This marks the 17th State Championship for Gaffney.
- 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010 and 2012 boys' basketball State Champions, becoming the first SC 4A high school to win three in a row.
- The baseball and softball teams won state titles in the 2008-2009 school year, the first for either sport at Gaffney.
- Football - 1927, 1928, 1929, 1931, 1934, 1960, 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1985, 1992, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2012
- Baseball - 2009
- Basketball - 1949, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2010, 2012
- Volleyball - 1982
- Softball - 2009
- Boys' golf - 2003, 2018
- Cornelius Bonner - played for the Georgia Force and Nashville Kats in the Arena Football League
- Quinshad Davis - wide receiver for the Detroit Lions; 2011 Gatorade Player of the Year for the state of South Carolina
- Jeff Littlejohn - played for San Jose Sabercats, Jacksonville Sharks, and Georgia Force in the Arena Football League
- Rocky McIntosh - drafted by the Washington Redskins in the 2006 NFL Draft; currently a free agent
- Tim Montgomery - Olympic sprinter
- L. J. Peak - basketball player for the Maine Red Claws of the NBA G League
- Arizona Reid - plays basketball for the Pallacanestro Varese of the Italian LegADue
- Sidney Rice - former football player for the University of South Carolina; drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the 2007 NFL Draft; also played with the Seattle Seahawks
- Dominique Stevenson - former football player for the University of Tennessee, Buffalo Bills, and Washington Redskins
- "Gaffney High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 8, 2018.
- Achievements / Awards, accessed April 21, 2007.
- Spencer, Janet S. "Masonry project at high school nearly over", Spartanburg Herald News, January 24, 2007.
- STUDENT SPORTS FAB 50 NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RANKINGS, accessed April 21, 2007. "Quarterback Malcolm Long finished the game with 254 yards (232 m) and three touchdown passes in Gaffney’s 45-0 victory over Irmo in the state championship game. The title marks a state-record 15 championships for Gaffney"
- Official website
- Official site of Gaffney Indians Athletics