Gahr High School
|Richard Gahr High School|
|11111 E. Artesia Boulevard
Cerritos, California 90703
|School type||Public high school|
|School district||ABC Unified School District|
|Athletics conference||San Gabriel Valley League|
|Website||Gahr High School web site|
Though it has a comparatively small student population at around 1,900, Gahr is known as a very ethnically diverse campus, (located in "the most ethnically diverse place in America", according to a California State University, Northridge study, as Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Filipino Americans and African Americans together constitute a large majority at more than 70%. The school's graduation rate is also 16% higher than the county average.
Gahr High School was completed in 1965 as the first high school in both the newly unified ABC Unified School District, and the recently incorporated City of Dairy Valley (the city would be renamed to its current state two years later). Indeed, the originally proposed name for the school was "Dairy Valley High School". The school was officially named after Richard Gahr, who had served as the school district's Superintendent. During the 1970s, as the student population in Cerritos rapidly grew, Cerritos High School was created for district expansion, and during its construction the latter used part of the Gahr campus.
In 2006 Gahr High School was invited to apply to be a California Distinguished School, and early in 2007, it was readily inspected. Now it has "California Distinguished School" to add to its resume.
Student population racial makeup (2006)
|Race||Percentage of population|
|American Indian or Alaska Native||0.6|
|Hispanic or Latino||35.6|
|Students with disabilities||8.0|
California Standardized Testing Rankings for 2006
Data reported are the percent of students achieving at the Proficient or Advanced level (meeting or exceeding the state standards).
Expenditure per student for 2002-2003
Data reported in dollars per student is as follows:
|District||Similar districts||State average
- Bret Barberie (1985) - Major League Baseball player (1991–1996)
- Morris Chestnut (1986) - actor (boyz in the hood)
- Shane Mack (1981) - Major League Baseball player (1990–1994)
- Kris Medlen (2003) - MLB pitcher for the Atlanta Braves 
- Tom Nieto (1978) - Major League Baseball player (1984–1990)
- Broderick Thompson (1978) - NFL player (1984, 1986 -1996)
- Al Osuna (1983) - Major League Baseball player (1990–1994, 1996)
- Nicolle Payne (1994) - UCLA water polo goalie; Silver medalist in 2000 Sydney Olympics; Bronze medalist in 2004 Athens Olympics.
- Steve Shak (1996) - Pro Soccer player and first round draft pick of MLS Superdraft in 2000, played for the NY Metro-Stars and the Colorado Rapids.
- Jim Zorn (1971) - Seattle Seahawks Quarterback (1976–1987); Head Coach of the Washington Redskins (2008–2009).
- Casper Ware (2008) - NCAA basketball player for the Long Beach State 49ers.
- Dwayne Washington (2012) - National Football League running back, Detroit Lions (2016- )
- Chris Devenski (2008) Major League Baseball player, Pitcher, Houston Astros (2016 -)
- Jacob Faria (2011) Major League Baseball player, Tampa Bay Rays of Major League Baseball (MLB) (2017 - )
- "Gahr (Richard) High". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "Cerritos Relocation, Move to Cerritos, Cerritos Real Estate". RelocateAmerica. Archived from the original on 2007-08-18. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-01-02. Retrieved 2006-01-28.
-  Archived November 3, 2004, at the Wayback Machine.
- "City of Cerritos | Home Page". Ci.cerritos.ca.us. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2010-11-28.
- 2005-2006 School Accountability Report Card RICHARD GAHR HIGH Archived 2008-03-03 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Kris Medlen Stats | Baseball-Reference.com". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- "Kris Medlen". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-06-05.
- Official web site
- Gahr Marching Gladiators web site
- Gahr High School Athletics
- Gahr High page at Greatschools.net
- School Wise Press school profile