Gaiety Theatre, Boston (1878)
The Gaiety Theatre (1878-1882) of Boston, Massachusetts, was located on Washington Street on the block between West and Avery Streets. J. Wentworth oversaw its operations. It occupied the former Melodeon. The Gaiety's 800-seat auditorium featured "walls and ceiling ... panelled in pink, with buff, gold and purple borders; the balcony fronts ... bronze, gray, and pink." In 1882 it became the Bijou Theatre.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gaiety Theatre, Boston (1878).|
- Boston Almanac. 1879-1882
- Boston Daily Globe, Feb. 20, 1881
- Donald C. King (2005), The Theatres of Boston: a Stage and Screen History, Jefferson, N.C: McFarland & Co., ISBN 0-7864-1910-5, 0786419105
- King's Handbook of Boston, 4th ed. Cambridge, Mass: M. King, 1881
- Boston Athenaeum. Theater History. Bijou Theatre (1882- 1952), 545 Washington Street. Retrieved 2012-03-16