Gaines Ruger Donoho
Gaines Ruger Donoho
Portrait by John Lavery
|Born||December 21, 1857|
Church Hill, Mississippi, US
|Died||January 28, 1916|
New York City, US
|Education||Art Students League of New York|
|Spouse(s)||Matilda Ackley Donoho|
|Relatives||Thomas H. Ruger|
Gaines Ruger Donoho (December 21, 1857 – January 28, 1916) was an American painter.
Gaines Ruger Donoho was born on December 21, 1857, in Church Hill, Mississippi. He grew up on his father Robert's plantation in Church Hill, Mississippi, until the elder Donoho was killed during the American Civil War. One of his mother's relatives, General Thomas H. Ruger (1833–1907), had them moved to New England with the rest of her family. He was trained as a painter at the Art Students League of New York in New York City and spent eight years in Paris.
He practised as an Impressionist, Symbolist and Tonalist painter in Manhattan. In 1891, he moved to East Hampton, where he continued to paint. He is best known for his landscape and garden paintings, some of which are reminiscent of Claude Monet's Giverney garden paintings. Additionally, he also did some drawings.
John Lavery (1856–1941) painted his portrait.
- Wind Flowers (Metropolitan Museum of Art).
- East Hampton Garden (Long Island Museum of American Art, History, and Carriages).
- La Marcellerie (Brooklyn Museum).
- Ronald G. Pisano, G. Ruger Donoho (1857–1916): A Retrospective Exhibition (Hirschl & Adler Galleries, 1977, 21 pages).
- René Paul Barilleaux, G. Ruger Donoho: A Painter's Path (Jackson, Mississippi: Univ. Press of Mississippi, 1995).
- Archives of American Art. "Summary of the Gaines Ruger Donoho papers, 1864-1915 - Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution". si.edu. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- Phyllis Braff, Resurrecting an Obscure Landscapist, The New York Times, January 14, 1996
- Memorial Exhibition: Paintings by the late Ruger Donoho, The MacBeth Gallery
- "Mississippi Museum of Art". msmuseumart.org. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "Brooklyn Museum: Gaines Ruger Donoho". brooklynmuseum.org. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- Levy, Florence Nightingale (1917). American Art Annual, Volume 13. MacMillan Company. p. 314.
- "G. Ruger Donoho (1857-1916)". google.co.uk. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- "G. Ruger Donoho". google.co.uk. Retrieved 11 April 2015.
- Memorial exhibition, an exhibition catalog of the artist.