Gaiole in Chianti
|Gaiole in Chianti|
|Comune di Gaiole in Chianti|
Pieve of Santa Maria in Spaltenna
|Province / Metropolitan city||Siena (SI)|
|Frazioni||Ama, Badia a Coltibuono, Barbischio, Brolio, Casanova, Castagnoli, Colle, Fietri, Galenda, La Madonna, Lecchi, Lucignano, Montegrossi, Monteluco T.V., Monti, Monti di Sotto, Nusenna, Poggio San Polo, Rietine, San Giusto alle Monache, San Martino, San Polo, San Regolo, San Sano, San Vincenti, Starda, Vertine|
|• Mayor||Claudio Parigi|
|• Total||129.0 km2 (49.8 sq mi)|
|Elevation||360 m (1,180 ft)|
|Population (Dec. 2004)|
|• Density||18/km2 (47/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Gaiole in Chianti is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Siena in the Italian region Tuscany, located about 40 kilometres (25 mi) southeast of Florence and about 15 kilometres (9 mi) northeast of Siena. The American magazine Forbes named it number one in its list of "Europe's Most Idyllic Places To Live."
Each year in March, a professional bicycle race is held, known as Strade Bianche in reference to the white gravel roads of the Sienna region. In October there is a public event, using many of the same roads, for vintage bicycle enthusiasts known as L'Eroica. This starts and finishes in Gaiole including a full week of festivities.
- Castle of Brolio (11th century).
- Abbey of Coltibuono
- Pieve of San Marcellino, of medieval origin. It was mostly rebuilt in the 14th century.
- Pieve of San Polo Rosso, dating from the 12th century. It is now part of a 14th-century defensive structure. The interior has a nave with two aisles and an apse.
- Pieve of San Giusto in Salcio
- Romanesque Pieve of Santa Maria a Spaltenna, known from 1030.
- Pieve of San Bartolomeo a Vertine (11th century). It was once home of an early work by Simone Martini and a triptych by Bicci di Lorenzo, now in the Siena Pinacoteca. Some fragmentary medieval frescoes still remain on exhibit today.
- Pieve of San Vincenti.
- Castello di Tornano castle and vineyard.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gaiole in Chianti.|