Gaither High School
|Gaither High School|
16200 North Dale Mabry Highway
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Commitment to Excellence"|
|School district||Hillsborough County Public Schools|
|Principal||Thomas D. Morrill|
|Teaching staff||121.50 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.27|
|Color(s)||Silver, white, and blue|
|Newspaper||The Pony Express|
|Website||Gaither High School|
Gaither High School is a public high school located in the Northdale area of Hillsborough County, Florida. It opened in 1984 and is located on 16200 North Dale Mabry Highway. Bloomingdale High School, located in Valrico, Florida, was built around the same time and has the same architectural design.
History and traditions
When Gaither first opened up its doors in 1984-85, Seniors were not in attendance, and the school served only 9th-11th graders (Gaither did not have a class of 1985). In the 1985-86 year, (class of 1989) Gaither kept its doors open to 9th graders. The following year in 1986-87, Gaither ceased to include 9th graders and began to only house the 10th-12th grades until 1997 when Gaither reinstated a four-year program. Gaither‘s graduating class of 1988 was the very first group of students that included all four years. Graduating class of 1989 would be the second.
On January 31, 2009, Gaither High School hosted the 7th annual Snoop Bowl, a youth football game which puts a youth team coached by Snoop Dogg up against a youth team coached by an NFL player in conjunction with the Super Bowl which was in Tampa.
The school's most historical rival is Chamberlain High School, however Sickles High School became a prominent rival school for the Cowboys when it opened in 1997 . Contemporarily, the school's most modern and primary rival is Steinbrenner High School, established in 2009. Students from Ben Hill and Buchanan Middle School make up the majority of the population of Gaither students, however there are also many students from Martinez, Adams, and Walker Middle Schools.
Each year, the school hosts a Special Olympics and a Multicultural Assembly. The school's Homecoming is called Starlight.
Gaither High School offers many courses in performing and fine arts. Such courses include: Band, Chorus, Orchestra, Guitar, Keyboarding, Theatre/Musical Theatre, Technical Theatre/Stagecraft, TV Production, and many other visual arts such as but not limited to Drawing and Ceramics.
Gaither offers a variety of seasonal sports for student participation. Sports for both boys and girls include cross country, golf, swimming, volleyball, basketball, soccer, tennis and track. In addition, boys sports include baseball, wrestling and football while girls compete in softball, flag football and competitive cheer. In certain situations girls may compete on boys teams that do not have a comparable girls team; this typically is found in wrestling, and more rarely in football and baseball.
Gaither High School is 44% Hispanic, 37.6% White, 10.4% Black, 3.8% Asian, 3.7% Multi-Racial, 0.3% American Indian and 0.1%Pacific Islander.
- Spencer Hubbell, Professional Poker
- Eddie Ababio, Major League Soccer player
- Adam Bilzerian, winner of the 2009 World Series of Poker
- Dan Bilzerian, internet personality and professional poker player
- Kevin Cash, Major League Baseball catcher and current Tampa Bay Rays manager
- Fernando Gonzalez, North American Soccer League player
- Alex McGough, NFL quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks
- Oscar Mercado, baseball player
- Carlton Mitchell, NFL wide receiver for the Atlanta Falcons
- Amani Oruwariye, NFL cornerback for the Detroit Lions
- J.R. Russell, NFL wide receiver
- Brittany Snow, actress
- Jenn Sterger, sports reporter and model
- Channing Tatum, actor (transferred to and graduated from Tampa Catholic High School)
- Chad Zerbe, San Francisco Giants relief pitcher
- "GAITHER HIGH SCHOOL". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved May 17, 2020.
- "Saturday's Best Super Bowl Parties". Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for GAITHER HIGH SCHOOL". nces.ed.gov. Retrieved 2020-06-23.
- "UNC Men's Soccer Bio". Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- Barancik, Scott (June 22, 2001). "FBI Agents Raid Bilzerian Home". St. Petersburg Times.
- Knight, Joey (April 28, 2018). "Seahawks draft Gaither High alumnus Alex McGough". Tampa Bay Times.
- "Florida high school sports - Gaither SS Oscar Mercado accepts $1.5 million deal with Cardinals". Archived from the original on July 29, 2017. Retrieved March 11, 2017.
- Gillin, Joshua (2010-11-19). "Gaither High grad Jenn Sterger ditches her famous implants". St. Petersburg Times. Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2010-12-23.