(Redirected from Gakushuin)
The Gakushūin (学習院) or Peers School (Gakushūin School Corporation), also known as Gakushūjo, is a Japanese educational institution[where?] originally established to educate the children of Japan's nobility.
- Walk in the paths trodden by the feet of the great sages.
- Revere the righteous canons of the empire.
- He that has not learned the sacred doctrines, how can he govern himself?
- He that is ignorant of the classics, how can he regulate his own conduct?
- 1847: founded as Peers' School
- 1877: the school was established in Tokyo
- 1884: Gakushūin became an Imperial institution.
- 1885: Peeress' School was created
- 1947: Gakushūin became a private institution.
|1||Tachibana Taneyuki||1877–1884||Viscount||–||Last lord of Miike Domain.|
|2||Tani Tateki||1884–1885||Viscount||Lieutenant General (IJA)||Former president of Imperial Japanese Army Academy|
|3||Ōtori Keisuke||1885–1887||Baron||–||Member of Privy council.|
|4||Miura Gorō||1887–1891||Viscount||Lieutenant General (IJA)|
|6||Tanaka Mitsuaki||1891–1894||Viscount||Major General (IJA)|
|7||Konoe Atsumaro||1894–1903||Duke||–||The heir of Konoe family. The president of House of Peers (1892–1905)|
|8||Kikuchi Dairoku||1903–1904||Baron||–||Mathematician and Minister of Education (1901–1903).|
|10||Nogi Maresuke||1906–1912||Count||General (IJA)||Emperor Showa entered school in 1908 and graduated in 1914.|
|11||Osako Naoharu||1912–1917||Viscount||General (IJA)|
|12||Hōjō Tokiyuki||1917–1920||–||–||Mathematician. Former president of Tohoku Imperial University (1913–1917).|
|13||Ichinohe Hyoe||1920–1922||–||General (IJA)||The Inspectorate General of Military Training|
|14||Fukuhara Ryojirō||1922–1929||–||–||Former president of Tohoku Imperial University (1917–1919)|
|15||Araki Torasaburō||1929–1937||–||–||Medical scientist. Former president of Kyoto Imperial University (1915–1929)|
|16||Nomura Kichisaburō||1937–1939||–||Admiral (IJN)|
|17||Yamanashi Katsunoshin||1939–1946||–||Admiral (IJN)|
Notable alumni and faculty members
- For alumni of Gakushuin University, see: Gakushūin University#Notable alumni
- Yoshihito, Emperor Taishō - 123rd Emperor of Japan
- Hirohito, Emperor Shōwa - late 124th Emperor of Japan
- Nagako, Empress Kōjun, late Empress Dowager of Japan
- Emperor Akihito - current 125th Emperor of Japan
- Crown Prince Naruhito - eldest son and heir of Emperor Akihito
- Masahito, Prince Hitachi - brother of Emperor Akihito
- Hanako, Princess Hitachi - wife of the Prince Hitachi
- Fumihito, Prince Akishino - son of Emperor Akihito
- Kiko, Princess Akishino - wife of the Prince Akishino
- Kazuko, Princess Taka - sister of Emperor Akihito
- Shigeko, Princess Teru - sister of Emperor Akihito
- Atsuko, Princess Yori - sister of Emperor Akihito
- Takako, Princess Suga - sister of Emperor Akihito
- Sayako, Princess Nori - daughter of Emperor Akihito
- Nobuhito, Prince Takamatsu - brother of Emperor Shōwa
- Kikuko, Princess Takamatsu - wife of the Prince Takamatsu
- Yasuhito, Prince Chichibu - brother of Emperor Shōwa
- Takahito, Prince Mikasa - brother of Emperor Shōwa
- Yuriko, Princess Mikasa - wife of the Prince Mikasa
- Prince Tomohito of Mikasa - son of the Prince Mikasa
- Princess Yasuko of Mikasa - daughter of the Prince Mikasa
- Princess Masako of Mikasa - daughter of the Prince Mikasa
- Princess Akiko of Mikasa - daughter of Prince Tomohito
- Princess Yōko of Mikasa - daughter of Prince Tomohito
- Norihito, Prince Takamado - son of the Prince Mikasa
- Princess Tsuguko of Takamado - daughter of the Prince Takamado
- Princess Noriko of Takamado - daughter of the Prince Takamado
- Princess Ayako of Takamado - daughter of the Prince Takamado
- Yoshihito, Prince Katsura - son of Prince Mikasa
- Aiko, Princess Toshi - daughter of Crown Prince Naruhito
- Princess Huisheng of Aisin Gioro (Qing ruling family of Imperial China)
- Prince Yi Gu of Korea
- Hayao Miyazaki, Director
- Yoko Ono
- Tarō Asō, former Prime Minister of Japan
- Michihiko Kano
- Yukio Mishima
- Shiono Nanami, Author
- Marina Inoue
- Tetsuya Kakihara
- Yoshinobu Shimamura
- Hisaoki Kamei
- Akiko Kamei
- Keiko Nagaoka
- Yasuko Ikenobo
- Yoshiki Kuroda
- Tokugawa Tsunenari
- Hiroyuki Namba
- Akiko Kobayashi
- Akira Yoshimura, Author
- Yoshiki Tanaka, Author
- Yoshihiko Funazaki, Author
- Yuki Kawauchi, Runner
- Kuniko Asagi
- Mona Yamamoto
- Satomi Ton
- Toshiyuki Hosokawa
- Masakazu Motoki
- Kiyoshi Kodama
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2002). "Gakushū-in" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 230.
- "History of Gakushuin" at Gakushuin Women's College; retrieved 2013-2-27.
- Ponsonby-Fane, Richard. (1915). The Imperial Family of Japan, p. 26.
- Brinkley, Frank. (1915). A History of the Japanese People, p. 664.