|Launched||April 2, 1979|
|Owned by||Univision Communications|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
Univision Deportes Network
De Película Clásico
|DirecTV (US)||404 (SD/HD)|
|Dish Network (US)||273 (SD/HD) and 833 (SD/HD)|
|Available on select cable systems||Check local listings|
|Sling TV||Internet Protocol television|
Galavisión (Spanish pronunciation: [ɡalaβiˈsjon]) is a Miami, Florida, United States-based, Spanish-language cable network owned by Univision Communications, Inc. The network is unrelated to the Mexican channel with previously the same name, other than sharing the Televisa-produced programming.
As of February 2015, approximately 68,355,000 American households (58.7% of households with television) receive Galavisión.
- 1 History
- 2 Sports and news programming
- 3 Programming
- 4 Galavisión HD
- 5 External links
- 6 References
Galavisión started on April 2, 1979, as a premium cable network, broadcasting a mix of classic and recent Mexican and other Spanish-language films as well as Spanish-dubbed recent Hollywood productions.
By 1984, the network became a general entertainment basic cable channel, offering a combination of Televisa programming and SIN reruns.
In the mid 1990s, Galavisión was led by Javier Saralegui and aired a mix of Spanish- and English-language programs like Kiki desde Hollywood or Funny is Funny. They also incorporated Miami-produced variety entertainment show A Oscuras Pero Encendidos, hosted by Paul Bouche. It complemented this strategy with Televisa-produced programs that first aired on Univision, with entertainment and some news programs from Televisa's all-news network ECO, including an Entertainment Tonight-style program anchored by Pita Ojeda and Ilia Calderón.
Since the year 2000, Galavisión aired a combination of classic comedy, telenovelas, and late night shows from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s that aired originally on Univision, with more present-day offerings from news, sports and specials originating from Televisa's three networks, Canal de las Estrellas, FOROtv, and Gala TV as well as two shows produced by Televisa's music network, TeleHit.
On its most recent programming strategy, Galavisión expanded original productions with shows like Acceso máximo, En casa con Lucy, Delicioso (hosted by Ingrid Hoffmann), Vida total, Decorando contigo, Un destino, Lo mejor de boxeo en esta esquina, the best of sister network Telefutura's Solo boxeo series.
The Televisa produced programming is also crafted to fit strict broadcast standards.
Sports and news programming
Galavisión's coverage of soccer, produced by Televisa, is done with a secondary or "clean" feed in which any references to Televisa are not shown and Galavisión supplants the feed with Univision's announcers and graphics. In the early days, Galavisión would use the whole Televisa feed while covering any Televisa promotions or sponsor tags with a green generic Galavisión border logo.
As for news programming, Galavisión, while owned by Univision Networks, has no news operations and instead airs newscasts from Televisa's networks Canal de las Estrellas, FOROtv, and Gala TV.
- Cuando me enamoro (telenovela) (November 30, 2015 - present)
- Carita de Ángel (May 18, 2015 – present, Gran Final December 9, 2015)
- Llena de amor (October 19, 2015 – present)
- El Chavo (2000–2009, first-run; October 25, 2010 – October 2, 2014, November 28, 2014 – Late 2015 or Early 2016)
- El Chapulín Colorado
- Dr. Candido Perez
- La hora pico
- Al derecho y al Derbez
- María de todos los Ángeles
- Una familia de diez
- Hotel todo incluido (February 3, 2015 – present)
News and talk shows
- Primero Noticias
- Noticiero con Paola Rojas
- Noticiero con Joaquin Lopez Doriga
- Las Noticias por Adela
- Los Reporteros
- Lo mejor de Aqui y Ahora
- Cuento de Navidad Starts December 10, 2015 at 2pm/1c
- Rayito de luz Starts December 8, 2015 at 3pm/2c
- Un Gancho al Corazon (December 2015)
- Marimar (Mexican telenovela) (June 1, 2015 - September 15, 2015)
- Sortilegio (November 24, 2014 - February 20, 2015)
- Seidman, Robert (February 22, 2015). "List of how many homes each cable network is in as of February 2015". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved March 14, 2015.
- Galavision HD Set For June Launch Multichannel News May 10, 2010