|Industry||Video game industry|
|Products||Galaxy on Fire|
Number of employees
|Parent||Deep Silver (2013–present)|
Deep Silver Fishlabs (formerly Fishlabs Entertainment GmbH) is a German video game developer based in Hamburg. Founded in 2004 by Michael Schade and Christian Lohr, the studio is best known for its Galaxy on Fire series, which includes Galaxy on Fire, Galaxy on Fire 2 and Galaxy on Fire: Alliances. Following a brief bankruptcy proceeding, Fishlabs was acquired by Koch Media and reorganised as part of their game publishing label, Deep Silver. As of July 2018, the company employs 70 people.
Fishlabs was founded as Fishlabs Entertainment GmbH in 2004 by Michael Schade and Christian Lohr. Also in 2004, the company received a round of financing, which allowed them to pay for development expenses for several years while generating revenue from their releases. The company had also planned a series B round in May 2010, as they announced that would be moving into the massively multiplayer online games market. By mid-2013, Fishlabs had run out of money; in October, 25 jobs were cut before the company went into self-administration. On 2 December, media company Koch Media announced that they had acquired Fishlabs, which would henceforth operate as the dedicated mobile studio of their game publishing label, Deep Silver. As the agreement was an asset deal, all of Fishlab's assets, including 52 employees, were transferred to Koch Media and incorporated in a new division of that company, called Deep Silver Fishlabs. The company's former legal entity, Fishlabs Entertainment GmbH, was to be dissolved, and both founders left the company. As result of the change in ownership, and the associated financial stability, Fishlabs also moved into video game publishing.
- Etherington, Darrell (11 February 2013). "Galaxy On Fire Space Sim MMO For iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch Coming In Q3 2013". TechCrunch.
- "Deutschlands größte Spielehersteller 2018". GamesWirtschaft.de (in German). 2 July 2018.
- Corriea, Alexa Ray (2 December 2013). "Galaxy on Fire developer Fishlabs purchased by Koch Media". Polygon.
- Chapple, Craig (14 May 2014). "'It was the hardest time we've ever gone through': How Fishlabs came back from the brink". MCV.
- vaughn597 (12 May 2010). "Next10: Fishlabs to move into mobile MMOGs, Series B round planned". TechCrunch.