Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac
With its galleries in Paris Marais, Paris Pantin (both France), Salzburg (Austria) and London, the Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac represents around sixty international artists including very established names, mid-career artists and emerging young talents, as well as several renowned estates.
Lienz and Salzburg
The gallery was founded 1981 as "Galerie Thaddäus J. Ropač/ Edition Rotha" in Lienz/ Austria, and the current Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac established itself in Salzburg since 1983, first located at the Kaigasse 40, and then (since 1989) in the Villa Kast , a 19th-century townhouse in the picturesque setting of the Mirabell Garden and the historical centre.
In March 2010, the gallery opened its "Salzburg Halle", an additional exhibition space spreading over 4,000 m² within an industrial building close to the city centre of Salzburg.
In Lienz and Salzburg (between 1981 und 1989) the gallery exhibited important Austrian painters and media artists, like Maria Lassnig, Günter Brus, Brigitte Kowanz and many others (not mentioned here because of lacking English Wikipedia entries), and also sculpture and ceramics artists, like Karl Prantl, Tony Cragg, or Maria Baumgartner.
But the most important base of the international success of the Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac since 1989 were exhibitions from the estates of Joseph Beuys, Andy Warhol, Keith Haring, Per Kirkeby, A. R. Penck, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Anne and Patrick Poirier and others.
In 1990, Thaddaeus Ropac opened his primary Paris space in the Le Marais quarter. Today, the gallery space there spans four floors with a 1000m2 exhibition surface that also includes an extensive Drawings Department.
The Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac opened a gallery branch in the Ely House in Mayfair, London, in Spring 2017.
Work and current exhibitions
Today the Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac represents renowned international artists like Georg Baselitz, Alex Katz, Anselm Kiefer, Yan Pei-Ming, Robert Longo, Antony Gormley, Gilbert & George, as well as several renowned estates, like the estate of Robert Rauschenberg, Robert Mapplethorpe Foundation, Sturtevant and Andy Warhol.
The gallery organizes extensive solo and group exhibitions, often accompanied by comprehensive publications, not only in its own premises, but also in collaboration with major international museums and other non-commercial art institutions.
Since 2005, in partnership with the Robert Mapplethorpe Foundation, Ropac asked Hedi Slimane, Robert Wilson, Sofia Coppola and Isabelle Huppert to act as guest curators and to select a series of the foundation's images for several gallery shows.
The Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac is present at all major contemporary art fairs including, the Armory Show in New York, the Art Basel fairs in both Basel and Miami, Frieze Art Fair in London and the FIAC in Paris.
The gallery also acts as a consultant to major museums and public institutions and as advisor for private and corporate collections.
A selection of current gallery artists
- Cory Arcangel
- Jules de Balincourt
- Georg Baselitz
- The Estate of Joseph Beuys
- Lee Bul
- Tony Cragg
- Richard Deacon
- Sylvie Fleury
- Gilbert & George
- Adrian Ghenie
- Antony Gormley
- Alex Katz
- Anselm Kiefer
- Imi Knoebel
- Wolfgang Laib
- Jonathan Lasker
- The Estate of Robert Mapplethorpe
- Jason Martin
- Jonathan Meese
- Jack Pierson
- Arnulf Rainer
- The Estate of Robert Rauschenberg
- Tom Sachs
- David Salle
- The Estate of Sturtevant
- Banks Violette
- The Estate of Andy Warhol
- Lawrence Weiner
- Erwin Wurm
- Thaddaeus Ropac, Dealer for Baselitz, Kiefer, Gilbert & George and Cragg (The Wall Street Journal, January 15, 2011)
- Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac official website
- Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac - contact - location
- Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac - Paris - EVENE
- GALERIE THADDAEUS ROPAC | Fondation d'Entreprise Ricard
- Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac Paris 3e Art culture paris,art culture
- Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac - Gallery homepage at artnet.com
- Erwin Wurm "Yes Biological" — Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac — Exposition — Slash Paris
- Georg BASELITZ « Monumental sculptures, paintings and aquarelles », galerie Thaddaeus Ropac (exposition du 24 avril au 29 mai 2010)
- Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac : Fine Arts Gallery Salzburg
- Salzburg's Tourist Information Centre on Thaddaeus Ropac
- Le Figaro - Guide Arts / Expositions - Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac
- artalog.net- L'actualité des galeries d'Art - Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac
- J.S. Marcus (January 15, 2011), In the Art-World Universe, a Place for the City of Lights Wall Street Journal.
- see infos on the building "Villa Kast"
- Nicolai Hartvig (October 5, 2012), On the Edges of Paris, a Burgeoning Art Scene The New York Times.
- Grégory Picard (December 2, 2011), Sofia Coppola Curates a Show of Rare Photos by Robert Mapplethorpe in Paris ARTINFO.