It may be regarded as proportional to gravity forces divided by viscous forces. The Galilei number is used in viscous flow and thermal expansion calculations, for example to describe fluid film flow over walls. These flows apply to condensors or chemical columns.
- g: gravitational acceleration, (SI units: m/s2)
- L: characteristic length, (SI units: m)
- ν: characteristic kinematic viscosity, (SI units: m2/s)
- Re: the Reynolds number
- Ri: the Richardson number
- VDI-Wärmeatlas; 5., extended Edition; VDI Verlag Düsseldorf; 1988; page Bc 1 (German)
- W. Wagner; Wärmeübertragung; 5., revised Edition; Vogel Fachbuch; 1998; page 119 (German)