|Close up image of the Galium mollugo flower under a dissecting microscope|
Galium mollugo, common name hedge bedstraw or false baby's breath, is a herbaceous annual plant of the family Rubiaceae. It shares the name hedge bedstraw with the related European species, Galium album.
Galium mollugo can reach a height of 15–100 centimetres (5.9–39.4 in). The stems are square in cross-section, more or less erect with ascending branches. Starting from the axils of leaves it has inflorescences of small white flowers with a diameter of about 1 to 1.5 cm, with four petals. The flowering period extends from May to September.
Galium mollugo commonly occurs in hedges, bushes, paths, meadows and slopes at an elevation up to 2,100 metres (6,900 ft) above sea level.
Galium mollugo is widely distributed in Europe and North Africa from Denmark, Portugal and Morocco east to the Altay region of Siberia and to the Caucasus. It is naturalized in the Russian Far East, New Zealand, Norfolk Island, Greenland, Argentina, Uruguay, and much of North America. It has been reported from the Rocky Mountains, the Cascade Range, the Sierra Nevadas and the Appalachian Mountains as well as the Great Lakes region. It is classified as a noxious weed in New York, Pennsylvania and much of New England.
- "BSBI List 2007". Botanical Society of Britain and Ireland. Archived from the original (xls) on 2015-01-25. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- Hickman, J. C. 1993. The Jepson Manual: Higher Plants of California 1–1400. University of California Press, Berkeley.
- Gleason, H. A. & A.J. Cronquist. 1991. Manual of the Vascular Plants of Northeastern United States and Adjacent Canada (ed. 2) i–910. New York Botanical Garden, Bronx.
- Kew World Checklist of Selected Plant Families
- Biota of North America Program
- Altervista Flora Italiana
- Biolib Galium mollugo
- Flora of Northern Ireland Galium mollugo
- Plants Database Galium mollugo
- Plants for a Future Galium mollugo
- Wilde Planten in Nederland en Belgie, Glad walstro, Galium mollugo
|Wikispecies has information related to Galium mollugo|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Galium mollugo.|
|This Rubiaceae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|