Gallier House (with green balcony)
|Location||1132 Royal St., New Orleans, Louisiana|
|Architect||James Gallier, Jr.|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival, Italianate|
|Part of||Vieux Carre Historic District (#66000377)|
|NRHP Reference #||74000932|
|Added to NRHP||February 15, 1974|
|Designated NHL||May 30, 1974|
|Designated NHLDCP||December 21, 1965|
It was originally the home of prominent New Orleans architect, James Gallier, Jr. Construction began in 1857 and he moved in with his wife and children in 1860.
The fully furnished house includes a courtyard garden, elegant carriageway, and slave quarters. The interior is restored and furnished in the style of the 1850s. The home boasts numerous technological and architectural advancements for its time, offering a glimpse into 19th-century cutting-edge design. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1974 for its association with Gallier, one of the city's most important architects of the mid-19th century.
In 1996, the Woman’s Exchange became the steward of this historic house after acquiring it from Tulane University. The Gallier House reflects an accurate and comprehensive historic restoration of one of New Orleans’ time-honored landmarks.
The house is eclectic, combining Italianate features such as stucco treatment with classical elements like the formal front entrance. The stucco covering protected the soft, locally-made brick from erosion by wind and water. The building was constructed of brick-on-brick foundations which increase the width below the surface.
The front entry is protected by the original cast iron gate. Much of the cast iron in the French Quarter was purchased from catalogs, so it was not as unique as the wrought iron. The front gate of Gallier House, however, was designed by James Gallier, Jr. specifically for this house.
- Hermann-Grima House, another French Quarter historic house museum operated by the Woman's Exchange
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Louisiana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Gallier House". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Archived from the original on 2011-03-08. Retrieved 2008-01-30.
- Paul Goeldner (January 15, 1974). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: Gallier House / James Gallier, Jr. House" (pdf). National Park Service. and Accompanying 22 photos, exterior and interior, from 1971. (5.56 MB)
- Armbruster, Don (2002). Hermann-Grima/Gallier Historic Houses. Lawrenceburg, IN: The Creative Company. p. 13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gallier House.|