Gallipolis Township, Gallia County, Ohio
|Gallipolis Township, Ohio|
Silver Memorial Bridge above Gallipolis
Location of Gallipolis Township in Gallia County
|• Total||10.4 sq mi (27.0 km2)|
|• Land||10.1 sq mi (26.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||561 ft (171 m)|
|• Density||564.9/sq mi (218.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086135|
Gallipolis Township is one of the fifteen townships of Gallia County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 5,707 people in the township, 1,527 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Addison Township - north
- Clay Township - south
- Green Township - west
- Springfield Township - northwest corner
It is located midway between the county's five other Ohio River townships.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Gallia County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 213. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.