This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
PAL Cover artwork of attheraces Presents Gallop Racer, known as Gallop Racer 2003 in the USA.
Gallop Racer (ギャロップレーサー) is a series of horse racing video games, created by Tecmo. Originally for the Arcades, it is available on the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and PC platforms. Thus far, there have been eight editions released in Japan, six in North America and two in Europe. The games in the series include:
- Gallop Racer (Arcade/PlayStation, only released in Japan)
- Gallop Racer 2 -ONE AND ONLY ROAD TO VICTORY- (Arcade/PlayStation, only released in Japan)
- Gallop Racer 3 -ONE AND ONLY ROAD TO VICTORY- (Arcade/PlayStation, PlayStation version released in the USA as Gallop Racer)
- Gallop Racer 2000 (PlayStation, only released in Japan)
- Gallop Racer 5 (PlayStation 2, released in the USA as Gallop Racer 2001)
- Gallop Racer 6 -Revolution- (PlayStation 2, released in the USA as Gallop Racer 2003: A New Breed and in Europe as attheraces Presents Gallop Racer)
- Gallop Racer: Lucky 7 (PlayStation 2, released in the USA as Gallop Racer 2004 and in Europe as Gallop Racer 2)
- Gallop Racer 8 -Live Horse Racing- (PlayStation 2, released in the USA as Gallop Racer 2006)
- Gallop Racer Inbreed (PlayStation 2, only released in Japan)
- Gallop Racer ONLINE (PC, only released in Japan, August 28th, 2007-March 31st, 2009)
- Champion Jockey: G1 Jockey & Gallop Racer (Xbox 360/PlayStation 3/Nintendo Wii)
- Gallop Racer (iOS/Android, December 18th, 2013-July 9th, 2015)
Gallop Racer is an open-ended game. You buy horses to train, race, and breed. Most of the Gallop Racer franchise revolves around this theme. Gallop Racer 2004 breaks this theme and puts more emphasis on the jockey than on the horses. The basic theme returned with Gallop Racer 2006.
Horses are classified into four leg types (the preferred position in relation to other horses in the race). The four leg types are:
- Front Runner
In order to gain the maximum stamina/spirit during the race, the horse should be ridden in its proper leg type.
There are two basic divisions in the Gallop Racer series- dirt and turf. Obviously, this represents the preferred surface of the horse. Some horses can run well on both turf and dirt.
They are several horses that can be unlocked and bought during the game. Most of these horses have real-life counterparts, but real names are not used. Later games in the series include some major champions including the eleven US Triple Crown winners.
Races in Gallop Racer are divided into four classes, depending on the quality of the horses in the race, and the type of race:
- Grade III
- Grade II
- Grade I
Most of the major tracks in the United States, Japan, and Europe are featured. The races do not however go by their official names. For example, the three races in the US Triple Crown are known as The Louisville Derby, The Baltimore Derby, and The New York Derby. Elite Grade I races like the US Triple Crown, and the Dubai World Cup (known in the game as the Universal Cup) must be unlocked by winning certain races, and meeting certain requirements.
Races can range in distance from 5 furlongs (5/8 mile) to 20 furlongs (2.5 miles), and all race distances are the same as their real life counterparts.