|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Geographic location||United States
|Average users||4,000 - 6,000|
|Average channels||4,000 - 5,000|
GameSurge is a popular Internet Relay Chat network devoted to the online multiplayer gaming community. Games commonly seen referenced on GameSurge include many first person shooters (such as Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress Classic, Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat, Call of Duty, and Battlefield 2) and MMORPGs (such as World of Warcraft and Guild Wars).
GameSurge was created in February 2004, as a result of the merger of GamesNET users and the ProGamePlayer Network, a network with common interests. The merger, coincidentally, occurred during a time of legal disputes over the domain name gamesnet.net.
At present day, the user base of GameSurge is primarily North American, with a growing number of English-speaking gamers from Europe. The user base contains a large number of clans who participate in a wide variety of games. Among the more popular games on GameSurge are Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike: Source, Team Fortress Classic, Team Fortress 2, Day of Defeat, Urban Terror and Call of Duty.
GameSurge provides five user-accessible services:
- AuthServ, which provides authentication for other services on the network and allows users to use an account to maintain channel access. In the interests of providing a service directed toward gaming (and thus allowing users to easily switch clan/team/guild tags), GameSurge does not provide nickname registration.
- ChanServ, which provides facilities such as event logging and advanced user/ban management.
- HelpServ bots, which manage support requests in certain channels via a FIFO queue.
- HelpServ, in the #support channel, for general user support.
- Other HelpServ bots in miscellaneous help channels throughout the network.
- SpamServ, which provides spam protection services to channels on the network. This service was added in July 2008 .
- HostServ, which provides free "titles" to users wishing to use cloaked hosts. See the GameSurge Titles page for details.
- srvx (network services for GameSurge)
- GameSurge Servers
- Query netsplit.de's IRC network database for GameSurge
- Query SearchIRC's IRC network database for GameSurge
|This Internet Relay Chat-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|